Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Cool Broadstrikes!

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 15, 2023 9:39AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Here's a really nice Gem BU broadstrike I picked up which has flashy, reflective fields, but when looking at high resolution photos, we see something else, wonderful radial medal flow going out from the center. It's especially noticeable on the reverse.

Very nice way to enjoy these errors!

Post any broadstrikes you have!

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins... Wow.. that is a great broadstrike.... As you noted, the radial lines are incredible. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great thread. Loving it.

• Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

Quite the variety I’ve never seen before. Thanks for posting!!!

"Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

very nice error coins B)

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gotta love the error coin 🪙 👌

• Options
    bramn8rbramn8r Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like broadstrikes. I don’t have any but at least, like off-centers, are very unlikely to be moonlight minted.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

@wozymodo said:
    Wife rediscovered this in a ziploc while cleaning out an old purse the other day...

WoW! What?...Rediscovered?...Really? Can you elaborate? Nice!! 👍🏻

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    wozymodowozymodo Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR - Sure, at the time I was working at a coin processing facility. Any A (IMO) coins I came across went in my collection. C coins were sold for chump change to dealers. B (interesting but not pristine) coins were gifted to family (wife) and friends. Flash-forward 30 years and our closets are stuffed floor to ceiling with handbags and shoes we're clearing out. :) _Rediscovered_a cent too...

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

@wozymodo- Hmmm, interesting. Thanks!

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    in2Coinsin2Coins Posts: 241 ✭✭✭✭

Awesome error coins!

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

:)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Broadstruck said:
    After two decades of collecting Broadstruck mint errors I'm now at my end game only grabbing ones that if you pass you might never see again. Here's my 2023 purchases which fit this criteria both being Uncentered Broadstrikes. It's so tough to find any 19th or pre-WWII 20th century original skinned toned silver coinage which wasn't dipped at one point to showcase the mint error. As far as Canada is concerned you usually never see a broadstrike for another century later on 1960's coinage.

Just looking through this older thread and see that Frank posted two fantastic pieces.
    This might have been one of his last posts.
    I’ll add some bullion broad stokes as these are the only ones I have. I do have a broad struck coin from the Philippines
    that I bought from him 10 years back but can’t find the pic right now.

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TennesseeDave said:
    Not mine, but I felt it fit the thread title.
    1873-CC

What…is this??

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dunkleosteus430 said:
    An old thread that was recently revived led me to here:
    https://northernnevadacoin.com/error-gallery/
    This coin is the eighth one on the list. I'd never seen anything like it, and I think it's really neat.
    (Not my coin, obviously.)

I would love to see this piece out of that plastic.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    ByersByers Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 20, 2023 4:14AM

@scubafuel said:

@TennesseeDave said:
    1873-CC

What…is this??

Looks like a "piece de caprice" or fantasy coin struck using a Trade Dollar obverse die and a Half Dollar reverse die without a collar. It's not a regular production coin. It's a fabricated mint product made for a mint employee's amusement or for his profit.

Edited to add---Someone pointed out they are two different coins, so my original comment doesn't apply. I thought they were one coin.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 20, 2023 3:45AM

@scubafuel said:

@TennesseeDave said:
    1873-CC

What…is this??

These were originally posted by someone who was doing research at the Carson City mint museum if I recall correctly. He found these there while doing the research and they are 2 separate pieces that are real.They are both 1873-CC's

Trade $'s
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    1946Hamm1946Hamm Posts: 768 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have a good day, Gary

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file