Home Sports Talk

Could Masataka Yoshida be a Red Sox bomb in the making?

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yet another reason why playing in the WBC instead of playing with your team in Spring Training, may be part of the reason Yoshida is struggling at the plate. And now with a "hamstring issue", he's scratched from today's game in Fenway.

Read from the pros...
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/why-has-red-soxs-masataka-yoshida-struggled-so-far-three-stats-that-explain-his-mlb-introduction/ar-AA19SnHJ

Comments

• Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭✭

WBC has nothing to do with it. This isnt football. You dont need to practice plays. You dont gain anything playing with your teammates in split squad spring training games instead of going and playing competitively against a lot of the elite players unless youre a minor leaguer trying to make the team or vying for playing time which he wasnt.

10 games is to small of a sample size, but hes now living in a new country and facing a different ball and pitching style. The Japanese ball is different from MLBs, the seams are even in different places, it moves different. Hes in a new country, facing a new style of pitching, with a different ball that impacts what it does. The WBC has nothing to do with why hes struggled in the first 10 games. Hes also having to make these adjustments in a bad lineup.

Japanese pitchers generally fare better than hitters though coming over to MLB

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MCMLVTopps said:
    Yet another reason why playing in the WBC instead of playing with your team in Spring Training, may be part of the reason Yoshida is struggling at the plate. And now with a "hamstring issue", he's scratched from today's game in Fenway.

Read from the pros...
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/why-has-red-soxs-masataka-yoshida-struggled-so-far-three-stats-that-explain-his-mlb-introduction/ar-AA19SnHJ

Gee! It would be a shock if everybody else in baseball is right instead of Chaim Bloom.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

its really early yet. I sure hope this isnt Dice-K 2.0

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭✭

He sure hs not shown any progress so far.
    The strike out today with 2 runners on base in the 9th inning was a prime example.

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is EXACTLY my point! These guys are paid fortunes to perform and instead of being a hero, he was a huge dud today. A simple single would have tied the game, where's his big bat?

I may have to nickname him Masa the Choker.

I do like the new announcer instead of Youkilis.

@MCMLVTopps said:
    That is EXACTLY my point! These guys are paid fortunes to perform and instead of being a hero, he was a huge dud today. A simple single would have tied the game, where's his big bat?

I may have to nickname him Masa the Choker.

I do like the new announcer instead of Youkilis.

nobody tries to hit singles anymore. they all just want to hit it over the fence. Too bad Boggs wouldnt have been up

It looks like Bloomberg has made some excellent moves in the off season as Yoshida has found the range with 2 homers in the same inning today to show he is the real deal.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don’t look now, but the Red Sox are in the cellar again. It’s a very classy cellar with a .500 record, but it’s still the cellar.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Their pitching staff is in shambles right now. Sale, Kluber and Paxon cant pitch their way out of a paper bag.

^^^^^^a wet paper bag!!!

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like the old Red Sox. Lots of hitting (?) no pitching.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Well Kluber came through tonight for a change but Ort sure did not and Jansen saved their bacon for the save,

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tommyrusty7 said:
    It looks like Bloomberg has made some excellent moves in the off season as Yoshida has found the range with 2 homers in the same inning today to show he is the real deal.

Bloomberg? I'd like to see a little more before I conclude he's even as good as Sam Horn. Remember, Horn was six years younger in 1987.

The Sox are only 3 games out of 2nd place and its early in the season so hopefully things are getting better for them.
    They are at least a lot better team to watch than last years team.
    Go Sox!

• pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 459 ✭✭✭

May 8th, 2023 MLB.com - Is Yoshida for real ?
    Named player of the week May 1-7

He certainly is doing things right so far.

Braves games are blocked to me.

I have 4 channels to find the game, and each has it blocked. From the score, now (8-2), doesn't look like I missed much. There is some strange reason that MLB thinks blocking a "local" game somehow makes sense. I guess its supposed to compel people to go to Truist Park and watch the game in person. Idiots!! I live about 90 miles from the park, and have no desire to fight the crowds, pay the crazy parking fees, buy the ticket, blah, blah. Stupid rule. If I did go, the game would end around 10:30 +/-, by the time I got out of the park, and slowly made it to the interstate to get home, it'd be at least 1-2AM. Oddly, many other games broadcast from Truist Park are available on MLB extra innings, and the other 3 channels I can watch the Braves on.

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 9, 2023 6:54PM

Ballys app has the Braves games.

@DrBuster said:

channel 646 is also blacked out to me.

edited May 10, 2023 6:47AM

@MCMLVTopps said:

@DrBuster said:

channel 646 is also blacked out to me.

I thought the app would work but I guess not if it's blacked out. That's just dumb for Macon/mountain folks, dumb.

That's how I feel about the Apple games that I can't watch. You didn't miss much though as Priveta sucked as usual.

What's really stupid, is most Braves games are sold out, or close to it. These fans are chop happy crazy about the Braves, but the majority couldn't explain the infield fly rule. So, if the game is limited in seating, why ban those who are paying (like me), for the MLB package, only to read the black out nonsense. Stupid rule !!!

The name of the game is MONEY TALKS!

@MCMLVTopps said:
    What's really stupid, is most Braves games are sold out, or close to it. These fans are chop happy crazy about the Braves, but the majority couldn't explain the infield fly rule. So, if the game is limited in seating, why ban those who are paying (like me), for the MLB package, only to read the black out nonsense. Stupid rule !!!

Can you switch vpn to an Atlanta area??

I live between Atlanta and Augusta, 80 miles either way.

Not a big deal, just iritating, the rule makes no sense. If I want, I can get live updates on my phone.

@MCMLVTopps said:

Thats a rather absurd statement to make about Braves fans.

@Basebal21 said:

@MCMLVTopps said:

If you don't like what I write, don't read my posts. You seem to have become the newly appointed hall monitor, extremely opinionated, but lack any respect for others opinions and posts. I do find your post to be rather childish and ill conceived.

edited May 14, 2023 7:04AM

@MCMLVTopps said:

@Basebal21 said:

@MCMLVTopps said:

If you don't like what I write, don't read my posts. You seem to have become the newly appointed hall monitor, extremely opinionated, but lack any respect for others opinions and posts. I do find your post to be rather childish and ill conceived.

Problem doesnt seem to be with me with a response like that. I would bet that most Braves fans have at minimum a basic understanding of the infield fly rule and that many fans dont actually know that the ball doesnt have to actually be in the infield for the rule to be invoked