Home U.S. Coin Forum

Set Completed - Braided Hair Half Cent Business Strikes

NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 14, 2023 9:10PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Building a set of braided hair half cents was a lot of fun, and was my "original" goal in collecting half cents in general (this goal has expanded greatly in scope). The braided hair type is a set of coins that I would recommend to any collector who wanted to start learning early copper. The series is lower mintage as a whole, but very accessible in nearly all grades. The lack of popularity in this series allows collectors with modest budgets to collect attractive coins in AU for <$200 per coin, however, it becomes more challenging and expensive in MS grades and very challenging when working to acquire coins with original red coloring.

This set is short, and contains only 8 coins when collecting business strikes (note: proof braided hair half cents are all quite rare and expensive). I like not feeling "bogged down" in gigantic sets, however, this set still took almost 2 years to build. My goal was to build this set in MS63RB, however, the 1849, 1850 (key) and 1853 dates proved to be too challenging to find with any original red color. Despite having to compromise on those three coins, I do feel that I put together an attractive set.

With the completion, I have made this set public in the NGC registry: https://ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/449638/. I am excited to have a set complete - my first one other than "pocket change" collections formed from circulation.

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

Comments

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

Party time!!

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 14, 2023 2:19PM

April marks my 3rd Coiniversary! I always look for a reason to celebrate - this year my Coiniversary gift to myself was to complete this set! :)

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• marmacmarmac Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭
    edited April 14, 2023 4:14PM

Congratulations, I really like your 49’

• alaura22alaura22 Posts: 3,092 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice set
    Congrats
    What's next???

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very unusual and very cool, I really like the set.

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations on a very nice set! I especially like the '51, '54, and '55. I agree with your comment regarding their affordability, and the low mintages are intriguing.

Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!

Thanks for the kind words. Moving forward, I will try to stay focused on the larger half cent project. Braided Hair is fun, and the easiest leg of that journey. There are plenty of tough dates left in the larger set. Draped Bust will be finished next. I have a 7070 in progress also and a set of proof Mercury Dimes... so a few sticks in the fire.

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,913 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations. That is one fine set. Thank you for sharing.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • TomBTomB Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a cool set and congratulations on the accomplishment!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

Thanks everyone for your kind words. This braided hair series was a blast. I recommend everyone build one!

• alaura22alaura22 Posts: 3,092 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 14, 2023 10:55PM

@winesteven said:
    As I complete one or two sets and then start new ones, I recently started Morgan an Peace Dollar DATE sets. However, you’ve now generated that “spark”, so the Braided Hair Half Cents will likely be my next venture, as I love short sets! Eight coins is perfect!

Steve

I was hoping that you didn't see this thread............... :)
    Right away I knew you would be doing it :)

edited to add: You'll have to do it across the street, they don't have that set here

• winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 14, 2023 11:14PM

@alaura22 said:

@winesteven said:
    As I complete one or two sets and then start new ones, I recently started Morgan an Peace Dollar DATE sets. However, you’ve now generated that “spark”, so the Braided Hair Half Cents will likely be my next venture, as I love short sets! Eight coins is perfect!

Steve

I was hoping that you didn't see this thread............... :)
    Right away I knew you would be doing it :)

edited to add: You'll have to do it across the street, they don't have that set here

You know me VERY well, my friend. But you're right. While I'm ok setting up my PCGS Registry sets across the street too (as they accept PCGS graded coins), I won't start that set if it's not offered by the PCGS Registry.

Edit: But IF the new CACG Registries offer it, that’s good enough for me, as both of those new registries will accept PCGS graded coins, with no need to crossover!

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NeophyteNumismatist ... Congratulations on your set completion. Always a great feeling. Cheers, RickO

@winesteven very nice coin - only 7 left to go ;)

@ricko thanks much, I really enjoyed the project, and got into half cents much deeper than I expected. Those little darn coins just fascinate me.

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can see the effort you put into it! Congrats!! 👍🏻👍🏻

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

Thanks @OAKSTAR ! It was a lot of fun learning as I went, meeting great people and getting knowledge along the way. Many hours reading too, but it's all worth it. I love this stuff.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice set, I like 👍

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations, very nice!

Mr_Spud

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file