Home Sports Talk
Options

the Rays have won a baker's dozen to start the season and no one is talking about them

galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,158 ✭✭✭✭✭

does it really take a golf guy to get this ball rolling? has anyone watched them play?

thru 13 they have outhomered their opponents 32-6 and have a team ERA a little over 2

the Yanks & Sox may be reading the bottom of their shoes all season long

Comments

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I heard this being discussed a few days ago on the radio. I actually thought about starting a thread, but thankfully you picked up my slack.

They are doing things that hadn't been done since the 1800s, as far as I have read...with run differential, etc. I don't remember specifics, I'm sure someone here knows.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 14, 2023 6:47AM

Detroit, Washington, Oakland and Boston are pretty easy opponents, still impressive to run the table so far though

They will not sweep Toronto

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Detroit, Washington, Oakland and Boston are pretty easy opponents, still impressive to run the table so far though

As far as I heard, it was also the way they did it is something unseen since the year the mound was moved in the late 1800s. @craig44 can you get some details here...thanks in advance.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stephen, with all due respect, nobody is talking about it? I see it everywhere I turn. ESPN is eating it up.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

@DBesse27 said:
    Stephen, with all due respect, nobody is talking about it? I see it everywhere I turn. ESPN is eating it up.

With all due respect, please allow me to speak here as a representative of @galaxy27 ...I believe that he meant no one here has brought it up ...

😂

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@DBesse27 said:

With all due respect, please allow me to speak here as a representative of @galaxy27 ...I believe that he meant no one here has brought it up ...

😂

Exactly

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

I read about them but as far as watching any of their games it's a no go around here. Everything Gaurdians on TV and Sports talk radio in the Cleveland area.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not a Rays fan, but have watched a couple of games. They look like a well oiled machine. Having just swept the Red Sox, they appear to almost be in cruise mode. I don't know the players, but as time passes, I'm sure that anyone that really follows the game closely will be taking notice of this team. It may be a bit early to anoint them as the AL East Division winners, but they are certainly well on their way, with the Yankees in 2nd place and trailing by 5 games. They have a nice cushion at this point to enable the inevitable slump potential that happens to all teams. They face the Blue Jays next, and they may be tough to beat, but time will tell.

With the hapless Red Sox now home against the first place Angels, I anticipate the Red Sox will fall further and further behind and solidify their last place in the AL East.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,158 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

I believe that he meant no one here has brought it up ...

don't be a stranger @DBesse27

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

@DBesse27 said:

😂

Ah now I understand. Guess that’s what I guess for only popping in once every few months. My bad.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

@DBesse27 said:

@thisistheshow said:

@DBesse27 said:

😂

Ah now I understand. Guess that’s what I guess for only popping in once every few months. My bad.

You're forgiven...as long as you promise to be here more frequently, so that the same thing doesn't happen again. 😂

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

Good call - so far Jays 6-1 in the bottom of 5th.

• Options

@Steven59 said:

@thisistheshow said:

I didn't say that, as far as I remember, but...🤷😂

• Options

@perkdog said:

Good call - so far Jays 6-1 in the bottom of 5th

@thisistheshow said:

@Steven59 said:

@thisistheshow said:

I didn't say that, as far as I remember, but...🤷😂

OHHH! I see now, I get confused sometimes with the replies being compounded when you try to reply to them.

• Options

BUT - the Rays lost! B)

• Options

@Steven59 said:
    BUT - the Rays lost! B)

• Options

@perkdog said:

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reality has come to the Rays in Toronto. They have dropped two in a row and not looked good.

The sad part is the days for a baseball team in Tampa Bay are numbered. The lease will run out on the stadium in 2027, and the mayors in St. Pete and Tampa show little interest in building a new one. It will have to be an indoor facility because, with the rain outs in the summer, the Rays’ season would run until Christmas.

Attendance has always been an issue. The St. Pete stadium is not in an easy spot to reach. The team owners had a proposal to split the “home games” between St. Pete and Canada, which was shot down. That shows that the handwriting is on the wall for a team in Tampa.

If the Rays management is able to continue to put a contending team on the field with minimal salaries, the city that gets the Rays will have a gem. There are so many teams that are futile every year with a much higher payroll.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?