Home Q & A Forum
Options

Where do people find mint Error coins?

I was told mint errors aren't in change. So where do I get mint Error coins?

Comments

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm gonna share a secret......the Wawa parking lot. Welcome to CU. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sforster said:

Who told you this?

Do you think it was in your other thread? Because that's not what I saw there.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1090219/questions-about-brockages-counter-brockages-pmd-etc#latest

You had said that you had an "overwhelming" amount of error coins that you had found. That automatically sounds suspect.

Why don't you start by actually posting some photos of what errors you think you have found?

• Options

@JBK said:

@Sforster said:

Who told you this?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1090219/questions-about-brockages-counter-brockages-pmd-etc#latest

You had said that you had an "overwhelming" amount of error coins that you had found. That automatically sounds suspect.

Why don't you start by actually posting some photos of what errors you think you have found?

I'm not sure what I did to be attacked and challenged on every single freakin post I make! But this is getting old real fast!!! I didn't know I had to post my entire inventory on here to prove to people I have a little more than pocket change and why the amount matters more than my questions. Am I only allowed to ask questions about coins if I also provide a pic? I literally just figured out why I could only post the few pics that I did and nothing else since then. The pics have to be smaller than 300 kb. I didnt know that. So for your information, I posted 1 coin earlier. And go back and read what I actually said which was "I have an overwhelming amount of coins that I don't know what to call" not just error coins and I never once ever said "I found". These coins are what I recently inherited from my grand dad who hoarded coins bc his mom did. So now, I actually have his and her storage containers which is an overwhelming amount and I'm leaving it at that. But none of that matters. The guy who said "Most coins aren't errors or varieties of note. They are just coins, 99.9% of your coins are just coins. The other 0.1% are probably machine doubling" is why I asked this question. Apparently he's seen all of them so go ask him to show them to you if you're that "suspicious". (Here comes the bashing soon as I click Post Comment)

• Options
    lcutlerlcutler Posts: 504 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 14, 2023 1:19AM

Error coins certainly can be found in change, that is how many are found. They are also often found in bulk coins from the mint.

• Options
    edited April 14, 2023 2:54AM

@Sforster said:

@JBK said:

@Sforster said:

Who told you this?

I'm not sure what I did to be attacked and challenged on every single freakin post I make! But this is getting old real fast!!! I didn't know I had to post my entire inventory on here to prove to people I have a little more than pocket change and why the amount matters more than my questions. Am I only allowed to ask questions about coins if I also provide a pic? I literally just figured out why I could only post the few pics that I did and nothing else since then. The pics have to be smaller than 300 kb. I didnt know that. So for your information, I posted 1 coin earlier. And go back and read what I actually said which was "I have an overwhelming amount of coins that I don't know what to call" not just error coins and I never once ever said "I found". These coins are what I recently inherited from my grand dad who hoarded coins bc his mom did. So now, I actually have his and her storage containers which is an overwhelming amount and I'm leaving it at that. But none of that matters. The guy who said "Most coins aren't errors or varieties of note. They are just coins, 99.9% of your coins are just coins. The other 0.1% are probably machine doubling" is why I asked this question. Apparently he's seen all of them so go ask him to show them to you if you're that "suspicious". (Here comes the bashing soon as I click Post Comment)

Your posts speak for themselves. If you can't figure out why you get the reactions you get then there are bigger issues here. Your posts can be combative and standoffish, with a little exaggeration and sarcasm thrown in just to make sure you rub people the wrong way. People react accordingly.

Yes, there are errors in circulation. Here is an ultra-rare (and valuable) error I found in a roll of new nickels. It's a 2016 struck over a 2015 nickel.

I recognized it for what it was because I knew what was and was not an error. Newer or inexperienced collectors waste all their time focused on stuff that is not an error. I went through many tens of thousands of coins to find this nickel, and even then, this particular error is so rare it was a billions to one chance that I'd find it.

Most, and by that I mean virtually all, newer posters who think they have error coins just have damaged pocket change. The one dime of yours that I saw falls into that category.

And by the way, if you want to find the really exotic stuff, you should get a job at one of the coin processing companies that buys the ballistic bags of tens of thousands of coins directly from the mint. The most extreme errors don't make it through the rolling machines.

• Options
    horseyridehorseyride Posts: 121 ✭✭✭

Step 1. Get a relative who works at the mint Step 2. Get them to take a planchet from one coin and put into the press for another coin Step 3. "Discover" this error in a few years

• Options

Serious question. Something I'm not understanding for real. You say newer people waste their time focused on stuff that's not an error. So are new people expected to know everything a person who's been doing it for 40 years knows? I didn't argue with the responses to it. I just decided I wont post anymore pics since it bothered people so badly. You yourself posted about a quarter you weren't sure of. It says a lot about this group when a person who's been apart of it didn't want to ask a question, I'm guessing for not wanting to feel embarrassed, I dunno. But anyways you're exactly right "people respond accordingly". That's exactly what I did. Waaaaaaaaay in the beginning I was humble and receptive to learn until comments were made about me as a person and was told "this might not be for you". I thought personal attacks weren't tolerated here? If the experts here are tired of the rookie questions or the coins they choose to look at, then maybe there needs to be a ban on new people joining this particular group.

• Options

I had adopted a general policy of not responding to new posters abd this thread reminds me why. :/

There are people who come here to learn and there are people who come here to argue.

Most of your posts aren't even about coins - they are about criticism of the responses you got.

As far as I can tell, you've only posted photos of one coin, so you are clearly not serious about learning about what is or is not an error.

BTW, learn about the minting process first, and then visualize how your coin could have occurred within that process.

There is someone on the forum who posts damaged coins every single day and asks if they are errors. It annoys some people, but she generally gets polite responses. Compare your posts to hers...

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dude !
    Try this approach (Really)
    There are many web sites that tell who, what,when where and how a coin is suspect. Brief and to the point.
    Here's just one - The Lincoln Cent Resource.
    Even though you don't have a coin in hand, you are now on the look out, with a reference point of an example.
    Take photo's for your own head, many. Also thin the heard and only keep the best of each.
    it's a starting point.
    Cool ? Remember this,...How interested are you (am I ) ?
    Don't fade away like some others.
    Stay away from what some call The Rabbit Holes. (?) Trust and a good sense (of humor) goes a long way.
    Thata, thata...that's all Bubba.
    Found this a while ago, free ! Check all your 1982's copper (LoL) cents. The coins are out there if you know what to look at.

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭✭✭

you can find errors in change found some in my change before one just has to know what to look for

• Options

@JBK said:
    I had adopted a general policy of not responding to new posters abd this thread reminds me why. :/
    There are people who come here to learn and there are people who come here to argue.
    Most of your posts aren't even about coins - they are about criticism of the responses you got.
    As far as I can tell, you've only posted photos of one coin, so you are clearly not serious about learning about what is or is not an error.

My topics are about coins. The responses I tend to get aren't about the topic. I've been practicing how to take pictures and uploading them here. I haven't quite got the hang of it yet. With it having to be 300kb or smaller AND clear is a challenge for me. When I got a critique about the pics I posted, instead of arguing with him (it was my very first post after adjusting the pics and was super pumped that I could even get them on here) I've decided to practice how to do it before I put any more up. Sorry you feel I'm not serious about this. In between being a mom first, I'm studying all I can. I'll get better at it eventually being that I've bout the Redbook and cherry pickers guide, a pretty decent microscope, a lens kit with a macro lens that clips to my phones camera, a digital scale, all the different size 2x2's and coin holders. I'm actually at the Dalton coin show as I'm typing this. Pretty serious about it, if not my husband would be beyond mad bc I asked him to buy all this for me lol. I'm trying, I promise.

• Options

This is a pic I took to show my friend bc she didn't even believe how serious I was either lol 🤷🏻‍♀️ wish posting coin pics was this easy

• Options

I applaud your efforts to get a photo set-up in operation. Personally, I just use my smartphone. The pictures aren't always great but they get the point across. :p

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think she's got it, Ben ?
    Bye George, see ya when I see ya, and thanks for the door opener.

Keep your chin up .

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is NOT a 300kb limit on photos. This photo (not my coin, just a random selection) is 14.2mb

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would have to by getting rolls of coins and doing the CRH gig. I have found amazing stuff while CRH. However the waffle process that the USM uses now may decrease the error coins that you find in circulation also. .

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

@emeraldATV said:
    Dude !
    Try this approach (Really)
    There are many web sites that tell who, what,when where and how a coin is suspect. Brief and to the point.
    Here's just one - The Lincoln Cent Resource.
    Even though you don't have a coin in hand, you are now on the look out, with a reference point of an example.
    Take photo's for your own head, many. Also thin the heard and only keep the best of each.
    it's a starting point.
    Cool ? Remember this,...How interested are you (am I ) ?
    Don't fade away like some others.
    Stay away from what some call The Rabbit Holes. (?) Trust and a good sense (of humor) goes a long way.
    Thata, thata...that's all Bubba.
    Found this a while ago, free ! Check all your 1982's copper (LoL) cents. The coins are out there if you know what to look at.

EmeraldATV, you never cease to make me laugh. :D

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

• Options
    OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

This sounds like a kid/young adult who just inherited a collection, my story is about the same, though I prefer not to use slang. Most errors are found in roll/pocket change, and I really hope you find some. But please, don’t turn into another @Bamaphil :D

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON