Home Sports Talk
Options

What has happened to Juan Soto?

craig44craig44 Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

He was lighting the world on fire a few years ago, but has really dropped off last year and so far this year. Maybe he should have taken that $400MM contract...

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

I started a thread about him last year since I was confused about all the hype surrounding him.

Overrated is how I describe him 🤷

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭✭

Theres a chance he is significantly older than his stated age. He was right around the end of the age scandal in the DR.

Aside from that though if you just watch him, he gives up on pitches a lot so he can do his little step on a ball. He's been bad ever since he got to SD which is probably going to be one of the worst trades in history for Preller.

• Options

@Basebal21 said:
    Theres a chance he is significantly older than his stated age. He was right around the end of the age scandal in the DR.

Aside from that though if you just watch him, he gives up on pitches a lot so he can do his little step on a ball. He's been bad ever since he got to SD which is probably going to be one of the worst trades in history for Preller.

Interesting thought, I would say that even if he was 5 years older than his "papers" say, that should put him right in the middle of his prime years. It could be he is like Yasiel Puig. had a great season or 2 and then nothing.

He really has to be second-guessing not signing that huge extension with Washington.

• Options

@craig44 said:

@Basebal21 said:

Interesting thought, I would say that even if he was 5 years older than his "papers" say, that should put him right in the middle of his prime years. It could be he is like Yasiel Puig. had a great season or 2 and then nothing.

He really has to be second-guessing not signing that huge extension with Washington.

Puig has a lot of off the field issues with his house getting robbed multiple times most likely from the people that smuggled him out of Cuba for not paying the fee. He wasnt the superstar people hoped. He is better than a number of MLB players though hes just not good enough to deal/ignore all the off field stuff that comes with him.

I am suspicious about Soto, but the whole trying to be too cool and not being in a very friendly offensive park anymore. The league has figured him out and he hasnt made adjustments. Could he do so this year sure, but he gives up on so many pitches to look cool now that without some change this is probably the new norm.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe peaked too soon, and had the right conditions falling into place for him at the right time.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

Fun fact, Fried who was in that highlight video of article should actually be a Padre. Preller traded him to the Braves in a bad trade for one year of Justin Upton during his im a rockstar GM phase which hes recently repeated

The Nats extension for Soto wasnt great with all the deferred money, but he should have taken in., Hopefully Seidler keeps Preller from making a terrible mistake giving a bigger extension to him.

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

Fun fact, Fried who was in that highlight video of article should actually be a Padre. Preller traded him to the Braves in a bad trade for one year of Justin Upton during his im a rockstar GM phase which hes recently repeated

The Nats extension for Soto wasnt great with all the deferred money, but he should have taken in., Hopefully Seidler keeps Preller from making a terrible mistake giving a bigger extension to him.

The contract wasn't great?

I think it was 450 million or close to that, tell me how it wasn't great?

• Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

This is a critical year for Soto's development. I know he is free agent after 2024, but two down years may perhaps be his true performance level.

• Options

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

The contract wasn't great?

I think it was 450 million or close to that, tell me how it wasn't great?

How much was deferred. The Nats love deferred money. For example the contract they offered Harper would have had him paid into the 2070s. The numbers look great on paper but if its taking decades to get it the 10 year 300 million to Harper becomes a 50 year 300 million. Theres more to it than just the number

• Options

with these deferred contracts, the players actually get paid less and the teams also pay less because of inflation. players would be better served if they took the money during the life of the actual playing time of the contract.

• Options
    edited April 21, 2023 9:13AM

Bobby Bonilla is doing just fine and he took a massive deferred contract

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Bobby Bonilla is doing just fine and he took a massive deferred contract

I guess there is some middle ground to this. The contracts are so huge now. It used to be easier for guys to blow their millions, when their millions were only in the 'tens of' category. 😂

• Options

Bonilla wanted the deferrals as a retirement plan. Other players do the same.

As far as Soto 15/440 wasnt a great offer even without them if he was actually what hes hyped up to be. I dont believe he is, but many do. If he is theres going to be guys making 50/60 a year while hes stuck under 30 with 6 or 7 years left on his deal.

With the deferrals though the Nationals take it to an extreme. Using the Harper example because he has spoken publicly multiple times on pod casts and even in the media about it. The Nats 300 million offer to him contained 100/100+ million in deferrals which would have been paid out through his mid to late 60s. That turns a 10 year deal into a 40 year deal Harper was smart to reject.

I will make the disclaimer on this that IF the rumors are true the Soto extension from Washington has no deferred money on it then he gets what he deserves. If that is actually true he should have tried to get it down to a 10 or 12 year deal and taken the money and if that didnt work just take the money.