Home Sports Talk
Options

Should Jeremy Roenick be in the HOF?

2»

Comments

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

There were a lot of people complaining when they originally signed. I guess they were more right than they thought they were!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭
    edited April 23, 2023 11:05AM

That was a good video. He seems HOF worthy & I have no idea who votes on induction for hockey but my guess is that his behavior on and off the ice is holding him back.

I'm looking forward to the Wild-Stars game tonight. As a MN sports fan, I fully expect a series loss.

As for their style of play being rough - I don't think it's that bad. If they are perceived as "tough", I will take it. Unfortunate, what happened to Pavelski. I like the Guerin-Evason style. Need to make up for the Charmin-softness of the Timberwolves & Twins...

Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭

@estang said:

As for their style of play being rough - I don't think it's that bad. If they are perceived as "tough", I will take it. Unfortunate, what happened to Pavelski. I like the Guerin-Evason style. Need to make up for the Charmin-softness of the Timberwolves & Twins...

you sure about that? You know, since their "toughness" is bleeding into taking a crap ton of bad penalties and the Stars' PP is running at a 41% conversion clip in the series. That style is mostly fine when your penalty kill is running at a 80+% ciip and the goalies aren't bending. Not so much when you can't stay out of the box and your offense isn't good enough to overcome what you're allowing on the PP.

FWIW the Bruins took roughly the same amount of penalties during the regular season as the Wild. The difference with them is they scored 60 more goals and allowed 45 fewer goals. There's a time and place to hunt "toughness". 8 seconds into Period 1 & 2 which led to 2 dumb penalties, by 2 dumb players, and 2 PP goals against tonight, probably isn't it.

• Options

In game 4 Foligno was called for two penalties that absolutely were not penalties (in fact, the second one should have been a high stick that drew blood on the Dallas player) goals were scored on both power plays.
    The next game Foligno gets a game misconduct on a knee to knee hit. He should know better than that. I don't like knee on knee checks, but a game misconduct was unwarranted.
    Soon after Middleton gets called on a BS crosscheck that was nothing to compare to Suter's on Kaprizov.
    Goals were scored on both power plays.
    The refs are doing a very poor job and so are the Wild on the penalty kill.
    The Wild are also not scoring.
    Oettinger is playing great. Kaprizov and Boldy are not.
    The Wild better figure it out or it's time for them to go golfing.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭

the tripping call on Foligno was the bad call. He's been at best, reckless way too much, and he's putting himself in that situation, and he has a reputation now. You're not going to get the benefit of the doubt on close calls when the refs know that's your act. He's obviously being coached to be this, because he wasn't always like this. He used to be a retaliator, now he's the aggressor, thus he's going to be a target for calls.

• Options

@lanemyer85 said:
    the tripping call on Foligno was the bad call. He's been at best, reckless way too much, and he's putting himself in that situation, and he has a reputation now. You're not going to get the benefit of the doubt on close calls when the refs know that's your act. He's obviously being coached to be this, because he wasn't always like this. He used to be a retaliator, now he's the aggressor, thus he's going to be a target for calls.

Funny that Reeves has played it pretty straight since joining the Wild, I've seen him as much more of a cement head than Foligno up until this season.
    The refs are taking control of how the games are being played by calling it differently for the two teams. Nothing new I guess. It does hurt when your two best penalty killers are hurt. Dallas is certainly taking advantage.
    Do you think the Dumba hit was egregious?
    I don't like to see anyone hurt, but Pavelski took too long to make a decision there and should have known he had a chance to get "lit up".

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think so. 1216 points puts him 47th on the all time NHL list. But what else does he have to show for it? He had 3 very good seasons scoring 103 to 107 points. He acquired his points over 20 seasons, so that is 1216/20 = 61 pts a season. Taking his 3 VG seasons away, that means he averaged 899/17 = 53 points for those other 17 seasons. That is not HOF material and no series of seasons (beyond 3) where he stands out as elite in the league or clearly the best offensive player on his team. To compensate for just being good, he would have to have done something great, like win a few cups, win a Hart trophy, win something???? Granted, winning a Cup is a team effort, but did he make all of the players around him better? That I can't say for sure bc I am an Oiler fan and always rooted against him but the stats and the success of his teams were not super great.

There is also the issue of behavior that steers voting (think Bonds, Rose, Clemens). Roenick was investigated for gambling twice, told fans to KMA over comments they made about spoiled NHL players. He disagreed with his team doctors about a concussion that led to a big kerfuffle. He whined about being left off the USA Olympic squad (twice), arrested for driving without a valid license, and on and on. These kinds of things don't help when you are a marginal player for the HOF. No Lady Byng on his horizon at that time.

So Roenick is okay to good, but HOF? I don't think so.

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

@lanemyer85 said: