Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

How best to ship vintage golf club or bat?

I see most eBayers who sell golf clubs charge about $15 for S & H. I went to USPS, and all they had was a priority mail box where I could ship it for $26 and change. Where can I get a plane golf club size box and ship a single club for less? Is this what most do?

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

Comments

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hiya David

I have no specific idea but if you google tubular shipping container, you'll find a lot of sources.

The problem is to get a good price, you have to buy some sort of "lot."

Have you tried Office Depot or the UPS store?

Mike
  • jimqjimq Posts: 268 ✭✭✭

I think if it's over a certain weight, it is priority mail anyway, the boxes are free at usps. Maybe it's cheaper shipping online compared to over the counter? I sent a package yesterday that was 10.40 over the counter. it was 8.00 printing the label online. Do you know how much they weigh?

• georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

The only golf clubs won in an auction, that I am aware of, were delivered in a Saab.

I am curious as to how many understand that reference.

• jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure about the shipping cost but they could be shipped in a piece of pvc plumbing drain pipe

• GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭✭✭

get in good with someone at a lumber yard; vinyl siding accessory boxes work very well... :)

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,338 ✭✭✭✭✭

@georgebailey2 said:
    The only golf clubs won in an auction, that I am aware of, were delivered in a Saab.

They were hardly delivered and clearly damaged during shipping.

A good mechanic is tough to find but they can get attached to the car.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• erbaerba Posts: 295 ✭✭✭✭

@georgebailey2 said:

Excellent reference!

• JolleyWrencherJolleyWrencher Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

@georgebailey2 said:

They were hardly delivered and clearly damaged during shipping.

A good mechanic is tough to find but they can get attached to the car.

I hate being in the dark, wish I got the reference, if it's to movie then I'm never going to get it since I don't watch many. I am a huge SAAB lover. First stick I learned on was my friends 900 hatchback turbo. My other friend has a sonnet II and sonnet III. We're all garage mechanics and we're attached to many cars!

Sorry to the OP, can't help you there, I'm shocked anyone can ship a golf club for $15 when it costs the same to ship a small lightweight box of a few cards.

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,338 ✭✭✭✭✭

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• judgebuckjudgebuck Posts: 995 ✭✭✭

Thanks for all the ideas/suggestions. I had one 36" x 4" x 4" box, and I shipped the club this morning in that box for $18.30 ground delivery. Had I used an eBay label (I should have), it would have been less. Priority mail in a p.o. box would have been $26+.

As for other clubs I might sell, I bought 25 boxes of the above size for $47 (includes shipping) from Uline company.

Don't know how others who sell single golf clubs can ship for $10-15, but many charge only that amount.

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

• gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭✭

A year ago the PO started a surcharge of $4 packages with any dimension over 22 inches, and $15 for any measurement over 30 inches. I would go UPS with a bat or golf club.

How Much is the Surcharge Going to Cost?
    Any parcel shipped with an impacted service with any side exceeding 22” in length will be subject to an additional $4 surcharge. For larger parcels, if its length exceeds more than 30”, or the parcel is over 2 cubic feet in size, it will be subject to a $15 surcharge.

Additionally, if the dimensions you entered on your parcel are incorrect and result in an oversized charge, an additional surcharge of $1.50 will be applied.

• GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JolleyWrencher said:

Sorry to the OP, can't help you there, I'm shocked anyone can ship a golf club for $15 when it costs the same to ship a small lightweight box of a few cards.

Just remember, shipping needs have no resemblance to actual shipping costs. Item + shipping must equal item + shipping to calculate returns, but otherwise shipping cost need only be enough to defer returns.