Home Sports Talk
Options

2023 NBA playoffs will be starting soon.

Comments

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    Ishbia be like, I'll do whatever it takes to win baby. I'll sign Durant, I'll flop like LeBron, WHATEVS

I'm betting that when these two teams had back to Phoenix for game 6, Joker's two crazy brothers also make the trip too. Next time Ishbia acts up he'll get some of this. 😎
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghwGgwbopWY

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

Today's games;

Knicks v. Miami (Heat up 2-1)

Lakers v. Warriors (Lakers up 2-1).

Who is going to win Game 4 today?

It would be interesting if the Knicks and Warriors win today to tie their series 2-2. If that happens all four second round series will be tied and 2-2, leading to the possibility that all four series will go to a game 7.

In the Nuggets v. Suns series Jokic and Booker are playing every game at an MVP+++++ level.

• Options

@SanctionII said:
    Today's games;

Knicks v. Miami (Heat up 2-1)

Lakers v. Warriors (Lakers up 2-1).

Who is going to win Game 4 today?

It would be interesting if the Knicks and Warriors win today to tie their series 2-2. If that happens all four second round series will be tied and 2-2, leading to the possibility that all four series will go to a game 7.

In the Nuggets v. Suns series Jokic and Booker are playing every game at an MVP+++++ level.

The Suns won that game when Booker had one FG attempt and zero points during the 4th quarter. Had someone predicted that they'd win with that happening while Chris Paul was out, I think most people would have said there's no chance.
    Landry Shamet was en fuego late in that game but he was a no show for the previous three so who knows if they can count on him going forward.
    KD is averaging 32ppg in this series but really hasn't had one of his typical KD takeover games like we've seen in the past. Its gonna be interesting to see how the refs call it with him going forward, during the first two games in Denver he got to the line just 6 times compared to 29 times in his two home games.

• Options
    pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

Lakers win 101 -104 LA leads series 3-1

• Options
    edited May 9, 2023 7:58AM

Curry, Thompson and Green all made bad decisions and plays at the end of the game last night (bad shots and turnovers) that resulted in a loss.

The Lakers will most likely move on to round three.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

"The National Basketball Association has fined Denver Nuggets center Nikola Jokic $25,000 for "making improper contact with a spectator sitting courtside," but will not be suspended."

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:
    "The National Basketball Association has fined Denver Nuggets center Nikola Jokic $25,000 for "making improper contact with a spectator sitting courtside," but will not be suspended."

Shouldn't the fine for making improper contact with a spectator be an amount that would actually act as a deterrence?

• Options

$25,000 fine is pocket change window dressing.

It will not actually deter similar events in the future (because it is unlikely there will be any).

Thus this fine is primarily for PR purposes.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭✭✭

Steve Kerr has officially had enough of Jordan Poole's shit -- he banished him to the pine after a very short stint last night (10 minutes). he was terrible against the Kings and it has carried over to the LA series. in games 2-4 it's as if the guy was wearing a Lakers jersey out there -- 26% from the field, not a single 3, almost as many turnovers as points.

Kerr to Draymond: "hey bud, would you do me a favor please? when you get a chance would you go jack up Jordan again?"

• Options

@noone said:

What do you want to see out of the Celtics in tonight's game?

Obviously a win, but not just any win. I want to see a resounding win. I want to see a win so resounding that come game six @galaxy27 bets the Celtics to win, all the while knowing that his financial gain will in no way make up for his avatar bet loss.

• Options

I didn't watch the game but it sounds like the Warriors are going to need a miracle to comeback from down 3-1 in this series.
    If/when they lose that 4th game I have a feeling that Poole might be the guy that GS moves on from this offseason rather than Draymond. Poole hasn't come close to earning that salary he was given this season and especially in these playoffs.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

Poole hasn't come close to earning that salary he was given this season and especially in these playoffs.

add Clay to the list too - he's only had one good game? - and last night he stunk again in over 40 minutes, BUT you never know when he can get hot and dominate - he has one game left this season to get hot (Actually 3 but I don't see that happening)

• Options
    edited May 9, 2023 7:04PM

@Steven59 said:

@erikthredd said:

Poole hasn't come close to earning that salary he was given this season and especially in these playoffs.

add Clay to the list too - he's only had one good game? - and last night he stunk again in over 40 minutes, BUT you never know when he can get hot and dominate - he has one game left this season to get hot (Actually 3 but I don't see that happening)

I don't see them trading Thompson,he has one more season on his contract at 43M with a trade kicker that puts it over 50M. He'd have value as an expiring contract but its more likely that the Warriors hold on to him. He & Curry seem like they'll end their careers playing for only GS,imo.

• Options
    edited May 9, 2023 7:06PM

Damn...........A "Who saw that coming" moment in Boston tonight!

And the headlines read : "EMBIID, SIXERS STUN CELTICS IN CRUCIAL GAME 5"

• Options
    edited May 9, 2023 7:09PM

Credit the Sixers for playing so well,this was the type of game from them that I was most worried about seeing coming into the series, Harden & Embiid controlling the pace by getting to the line a million times while their shooters knock down their shots.

Just an ugly overall game by Boston. Couldn't hit a shot,couldn't stop them on the other end,fouling guys on threes,missed a ton of FTs. Their season isn't over yet but it will be soon if they come out on thursday with this same type of effort as tonight.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@noone said:

What do you want to see out of the Celtics in tonight's game?

Obviously a win, but not just any win. I want to see a resounding win. I want to see a win so resounding that come game six @galaxy27 bets the Celtics to win, all the while knowing that his financial gain will in no way make up for his avatar bet loss.

Spoiler alert: we lost.

• Options

🤬🤮

• Options

How about a Denver v. Philly Finals?

Jokic vs. Embid.

• Options

Boston was in this same exact position in round two a year ago. They lost game 5 at home to the Bucks putting them down 3-2 in the series,they then went on to win the next two games. This team is more than capable of pulling it off a second time, the only question is,will they?

• Options
    charliej2356charliej2356 Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

Is there any sweeter music than the "Boo"s from Boston fans when their team is gonna lose a game? WTF!!! It's truly hard to understand. Perhaps Boston fans should not be allowed to attend games -- allow those disgruntled Boston fans to attend practices only. Disgruntled fans help feed the perception of "Ugly Americans" -- not at all a good look.

• Options
    edited May 10, 2023 9:55AM

Lebron's son is heading to USC next season which likely means after he plays out his freshman year he's heading to the NBA in 2024.
    https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2023/05/bronny-james-commits-to-usc-nba-could-be-a-year-away.html

Lebron has stated numerous times that he wants to go play on the same team as his son and most very early 2024 mock drafts have Bronny going top 10. The draft lottery is next week but these current top 10 teams are probably going to be the same 10 next year as well with maybe 1-2 changes here or there (Bulls/Thunder/Raptors/Hawks.)
    1. Detroit Pistons
    2. Houston Rockets
    3. San Antonio Spurs
    4. Charlotte Hornets
    5. Portland Trail Blazers
    6. Orlando Magic
    7. Indiana Pacers
    8. Washington Wizards
    9. Utah Jazz
    10. Dallas Mavericks

ts going to very interesting to see which team(s) would be willing to take on a Lebron/Bronny tandem.
    The Pistons,Rockets,Magic & Hornets have a ton of young talent.
    It would be cool to see what a Lebron-Popovich pairing looks like.
    How about a Lebron-Dame Lillard?
    Or even a Luka-Lebron?
    The Pacers,Wizards & Jazz all have very good complimentary pieces to fit around Lebron.
    You'd also have to factor in one of these teams landing the next phenom Victor Wembanyama once we findout the lottery results.

Here's an excerpt from that link i posted above about what it would mean to your franchise if you brought in both Lebron & son...
    The potential pairing of LeBron and Bronny would be a huge money-maker for whoever can pull it off, Adam Zagoria states in a Forbes article. Pinnacle Advertising creative director Bob Dorfman told Zagoria that some teams could see a 50% rise in their valuation within a year if they were able to acquire both players.

“The franchise value of the team that lands them will skyrocket,” Dorfman added. “Their games will become must-see events that command huge ticket prices and prime-time viewing slots, and they could quickly turn into a playoff powerhouse.”

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Lebron's son is heading to USC next season which likely means after he plays out his freshman year he's heading to the NBA in 2024.
    https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2023/05/bronny-james-commits-to-usc-nba-could-be-a-year-away.html

Lebron has stated numerous times that he wants to go play on the same team as his son and most very early 2024 mock drafts have Bronny going top 10. The draft lottery is next week but these current top 10 teams are probably going to be the same 10 next year as well with maybe 1-2 changes here or there (Bulls/Thunder/Raptors/Hawks.)
    1. Detroit Pistons
    2. Houston Rockets
    3. San Antonio Spurs
    4. Charlotte Hornets
    6. Orlando Magic
    7. Indiana Pacers
    8. Washington Wizards
    9. Utah Jazz
    10. Dallas Mavericks

ts going to very interesting to see which team(s) would be willing to take on a Lebron/Bronny tandem.
    Or even a Luka-Lebron?
    The Pacers,Wizards & Jazz all have very good complimentary pieces to fit around Lebron.
    You'd also have to factor in one of these teams landing the next phenom Victor Wembanyama once we findout the lottery results.

Yes, he has said that this is his bucket list dream. So in the same way that, in my opinion, LeBron negatively influenced the league in a couple other ways (yes I acknowledge his accomplishments too) I will be interested in seeing how much influence and leverage LeBron has within the equation.

I have heard sports media people contemplating the idea that one of the teams might just over,overreach, and take Lebron's son at such and such a spot , thereby forcing Lebron to come play on such and such a team. The reasoning being that he has said it's only about playing with his kid, not winning, and he will just sign with whoever picks him.

I find it hard to believe that LeBron will not be behind the scenes acting as a puppet master, utilizing any means necessary to make this happen on the team of his choice.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

@charliej2356 said:
    Is there any sweeter music than the "Boo"s from Boston fans when their team is gonna lose a game? WTF!!! It's truly hard to understand. Perhaps Boston fans should not be allowed to attend games -- allow those disgruntled Boston fans to attend practices only. Disgruntled fans help feed the perception of "Ugly Americans" -- not at all a good look.

Lol so in your mind Boston fans are the only ones guilty of booing their team?

Is this your assessment?

• Options

@perkdog said:

@charliej2356 said:

Lol so in your mind Boston fans are the only ones guilty of booing their team?

Is this your assessment?

@charliej2356 Thank you for making things more clear. I thought you were only anti-Boston/East coast, etc...I now see that you are anti-America.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

1. Detroit Pistons
    2. Houston Rockets
    3. San Antonio Spurs
    4. Charlotte Hornets
    6. Orlando Magic
    7. Indiana Pacers
    8. Washington Wizards
    9. Utah Jazz
    10. Dallas Mavericks

Or even a Luka-Lebron?

Yes, he has said that this is his bucket list dream. So in the same way that, in my opinion, LeBron negatively influenced the league in a couple other ways (yes I acknowledge his accomplishments too) I will be interested in seeing how much influence and leverage LeBron has within the equation.

I have heard sports media people contemplating the idea that one of the teams might just over,overreach, and take Lebron's son at such and such a spot , thereby forcing Lebron to come play on such and such a team. The reasoning being that he has said it's only about playing with his kid, not winning, and he will just sign with whoever picks him.

I find it hard to believe that LeBron will not be behind the scenes acting as a puppet master, utilizing any means necessary to make this happen on the team of his choice.

Oh I definitely see Lebron having a hand in it but it really comes down to whichever team has the 1st pick decides to do and so on with each pick after. If some team decides they want to draft his son regardless of Lebron wanting to go as well then he may have no choice if this is what he really wants to do. He has a player option for 2024 but I'm not sure what the date is for him to pick it up or not.

I hope for Lebron's sake as well as his kid's that he doesn't do anything fishy behind the scenes in some type of power play move to get what he wants for him and his son. Also I doubt that Bronny comes into the draft telling teams that he won't play for them so he falls to some pre-planned destination,that would just be a bad look for the kid to start his NBA career.

One other huge positive for adding the James family to your roster though is Lebron will probably convince some other good players to come play there as well. He'll turn 40 just a few months into that season but we're seeing right now that if you put decent players around him he's still able to make a deep playoff run. I doubt his game will fall off that much in this next year plus.

• Options
    edited May 10, 2023 10:31AM

If 'Bronny" was not the son of LeBron James and instead was the son of a man who never played basketball (and is not in the public eye) would he be ranked as a top 10 player today (5-10-2023) in a mock draft for the 2024 NBA draft?

In other words, as an 18 year old (who I recall is 6"2" or 6'3' tall) does he currently have the talent/skills that warrants a top 10 ranking?

Further, I understand that LeBron James has said he would like to play with both of his sons in the NBA (his youngest son is 15 and will be entering his sophomore or junior year of high school this coming fall; and he would not be eligible for the NBA draft until the 2026 or the 2027 draft).

If that happens, then LeBron James would be 42 or 43 years old when his youngest son could be drafted (with LeBron James then playing in his 24th or 25th NBA season).

Do you think LeBron James at 42 or 43 years old would still be able to play at an NBA level?

• Options

Philly fans booed the Sixers numerous times throughout the game 3 especially towards James Harden for his play during the second half of that game.

• Options

@SanctionII said:
    If 'Bronny" was not the son of LeBron James and instead was the son of a man who never played basketball (and is not in the public eye) would he be ranked as a top 10 player today (5-10-2023) in a mock draft for the 2024 NBA draft?

In other words, as an 18 year old (who I recall is 6"2" or 6'3' tall) does he currently have the talent/skills that warrants a top 10 ranking?

Further, I understand that LeBron James has said he would like to play with both of his sons in the NBA (his youngest son is 15 and will be entering his sophomore or junior year of high school this coming fall; and he would not be eligible for the NBA draft until the 2026 or the 2027 draft).

If that happens, then LeBron James would be 42 or 43 years old when his youngest son could be drafted (with LeBron James then playing in his 24th or 25th NBA season).

Do you think LeBron James at 42 or 43 years old would still be able to play at an NBA level?

I think that thats really the million dollar question here,no one really knows. He went from a projected 2nd rounder/possible 1st back before this season started to talk now that he could go top 10. Part of it is probably due to who is father is but that could work both ways.
    Could be part nepotism but it could also be that having a father prepare him from a young age to be a professional basketball player when he gets older has helped predict how he may turn out in the NBA.
    Steph Curry & Klay Thompson are two examples where they had former NBAers as dads that prepared them to basically become HOF players. There have been numerous other current/former players that have/had nba careers after their father played as well,maybe not to the Curry/Klay level but still decent overall.

I don't think we'll know how good Bronny could be,or even if he's any good at all, until we see him get to the NBA and play.

• Options

@SanctionII said:

>

Forgot part two. Play at an NBA level at 42-43? Yes,absolutely. Play at an NBA level making roughly 30-50M? That remains to be seen,imo.
    Another factor to contemplate in all of this play with Bronny talk is how much money is he expecting to get paid from this next team? Do they even have the cap space to add him after drafting his son?
    This could be a young team like Detroit,Orlando or Indiana that has slowly been adding young talent to their roster,developing it and could possibly think that Bronny might be a good fit with their young core. If they don't have the cap space for Lebron do they then gut their team of young players + picks to then go trade for him? Its definitely a dynamic in all of this to think about.

• Options
    edited May 10, 2023 1:59PM

Here's an excerpt from an ESPN 2024 draft article on why Bronny James should be considered a top 10 pick:
    Some might be surprised to see James, ranked anywhere from 28 to 43 by the major recruiting services, as a potential top-10 pick. James has earned his spot in lottery conversations with the significant jump he has made at Sierra Canyon in Chatsworth, California, this season, developing into arguably the best perimeter defender in his high school class while making strides in his perimeter shooting and playmaking ability.
    As most of his peers have flatlined the past 12 to 18 months, James has grown, filled out his frame, found another gear with his explosiveness and become an absolute terror off the ball defensively thanks to his outstanding intensity and feel for the game. He still has plenty of room to improve his ballhandling and pull-up jumper to become a more prolific and efficient shot creator, but he has already caught the eyes of NBA decision-makers with the way he contributes to winning and likely will continue to grow and fill out his game.
    https://archive.is/LXQMm#selection-16845.0-16853.538

Here are a couple more articles about his potential at the NBA level.
    https://archive.is/nmapb
    https://nbadraftroom.com/a-closer-look-at-bronny-james-as-a-nba-draft-prospect/

• Options

Is this still the NBA playoff thread or did I just screw up and press the wrong key - ???

• Options
    edited May 10, 2023 7:06PM

Kevin Freakin Love killed the heat tonight - 0 of 7 from 3, Jimmy Buckets scores only 19. And that's the ballgame folks!

• Options
    pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

I think you are in the right place.

• Options

@Steven59 said:
    Is this still the NBA playoff thread or did I just screw up and press the wrong key - ???

I didn't feel like starting a new thread about Lebron and his kid lol.

NY is the first of four teams now facing an elimination game who has extended their season. Will GS be next?

• Options

@erikthredd said:

Will GS be next?

Wow, so far GS has come out swinging: 17 - 5

• Options

@Steven59 said:

@erikthredd said:

Will GS be next?

Of the four teams down in their series I have the most faith in GS winning to play another day. That core has seen it all before and know what it takes to get the job done.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@Steven59 said:

@erikthredd said:

Will GS be next?

Of the four teams down in their series I have the most faith in GS winning to play another day. That core has seen it all before and know what it takes to get the job done.

Sure, it wouldn't surprise me if GS wins this thing. Still, I have faith that our boys take game 6.

If only there was a way to let them know about my avatar bet with @galaxy27 . It would be a great motivator.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

@Steven59 said:

@erikthredd said:

Will GS be next?

Sure, it wouldn't surprise me if GS wins this thing. Still, I have faith that our boys take game 6.

If only there was a way to let them know about my avatar bet with @galaxy27 . It would be a great motivator.

With the all of the new sports betting sites now available here in Massachusetts over the past 1-2 months, I can just imagine how many fans have already called them out on social media after losing money on their games lol.

• Options

GS is heading back to LA for game 6. It will be interesting to see if the Warriors can rise to the occasion and win in LA and force a game 7 in SF.

• Options

Game 6 tonight for Boston v. Philly and for Denver v. Phoenix.

Will Philly and Denver advance? Or will Boston and Phoenix win and force game 7?

Your predictions please :)

• Options

I have Boston winning tonight. That second game is tougher to call when each team might be down a starter in DeAndre Ayton & Jamal Murray both having issues right now. I'll go with Durant & Booker going off at home to carry the Suns to a game 7.

• Options

one team playing with much higher intensity than the other

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

one team playing with much higher intensity than the other

15-3 when I made this comment

now 15-12

that's my virtual way of calling TO to stop the bleeding

B)

• Options

Boston tearing it up beyond the arc

• Options
    edited May 11, 2023 5:27PM

not only are the Celtics putting on a shooting exhibition, but they are also playing GREAT defensively

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    not only are the Celtics putting on a shooting exhibition, but they are also playing GREAT defensively

Really? They are up by 5 with Embiid and Harden having lousy games..........Stay tuned to more comments :D

• Options

@Steven59 said:

@galaxy27 said:

Really? They are up by 5 with Embiid and Harden having lousy games..........Stay tuned to more comments :D

newsflash:

that comment was made 45 minutes ago when they were up 14 and cruising

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

that comment was made 45 minutes ago when they were up 14 and cruising

LOL! I won't even comment now - maybe later in the 4rth qrtr when Boston does their scoring run to win the game.

• Options

@thisistheshow 's fingers are trembling so much he can't even type

• Options

I love these headlines - Really???

"CELTICS NEED WIN IN PHILLY"