Home Precious Metals
Options

90% Being Pre-Sold. Has Anyone Seen This Before?

Mike59Mike59 Posts: 297 ✭✭✭

Just went on a couple of coin dealer websites and they are offering $100 bags of 90% for 27X BUT it “will be shipped when in stock”. Seems crazy that they are Pre-selling junk silver. I’ve never seen that before. Why lend them your money? Thought’s?
Mike

MIKE B.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting... sell at current prices, deliver when melt drops.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you go to a large coin show, you will likely find a better selection and immediate availability (and a better price).

• Options
    FrankHFrankH Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Far easier to get screwed in a rising market.

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like gambling.

• Options

Sorry All I should have said. I’m not looking to buy. I’m a holder and always look around to see what 90% is selling for. I was shocked to see 90% on a pre-sale.

MIKE B.

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mike59 said:
    Sorry All I should have said. I’m not looking to buy. I’m a holder and always look around to see what 90% is selling for. I was shocked to see 90% on a pre-sale.

Always looking to buy.
    Fifty cents on the dollar of spot or face value is a no brainer :)

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

More than one place doing ' pre-sale ' for 90%..... something seems to be going on.

----- kj
  • Options
    SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

90% is climbing fast

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

I stopped by a local shop yesterday and they had probably 50-75 face in mostly dimes & quarters and asking 24x

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 6, 2023 6:43AM

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spread between real silver and COMEX paper silver continues to grow. What does this tell you?

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said; Spread between real silver and COMEX paper silver continues to grow.

I’m not seeing this phenomenon. A quick search of the big retailers seems to show that COMEX bars are readily available for about $1.5 above spot.

Higashiyama
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wholesaler i sell too, keeps upping price daily. Funnier story than that, a dealer I know down in the Wilmington area, who pays crap prices for stuff over the counter, called me today and asked if I had any, "told him no I sold it last night to the wholesaler" as they were paying strong, he told me He beat it, to get it, he wasnt BS'in.

• Options

@Higashiyama said:
    @derryb said; Spread between real silver and COMEX paper silver continues to grow.

I’m not seeing this phenomenon. A quick search of the big retailers seems to show that COMEX bars are readily available for about $1.5 above spot.

100 oz. bars, as usual, are the exception . . . at least until COMEX delivery demand accelerates. This tells us that demand for the 100's remains unchanged. Checked the premiums on 90% lately?

• Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb:

I’ve always liked 90%, but that’s because I’m (a) a little sentimental and (b) just a small time buyer!

Higashiyama
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    Spread between real silver and COMEX paper silver continues to grow. What does this tell you?

The same thing as 9 months ago when premiums were higher. Nothing. Nothing happened.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

The same thing as 9 months ago when premiums were higher. Nothing. Nothing happened.

Yes it did. The FED jawboned the markets to believe all is well so PMs dropped. Faith in their lies is once again dwindling.

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

Yes it did. The FED jawboned the markets to believe all is well so PMs dropped. Faith in their lies is once again dwindling.

You're right...PMs dropped.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    coinnerdcoinnerd Posts: 491 ✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2023 4:02PM
         I may have found your answer. A large physical order was filled. $27 million in 90% and $23 million in pre 1933 gold. This wiped out the marketplace of 90% so large retailers are having to presell product they may have purchased but don't have on hand yet. You will also see out of stock flags on some items. 
         This order put a big dent in Pre 1933 gold too. This is also why $20 Libs and Saints are selling for more than Gold Eagles. Currently AGEs $2182, AU $20 Libs $2317 at APMEX

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmm... who had the big pockets?

----- kj
  • Options
    SlipKidSlipKid Posts: 51 ✭✭✭

Big online dealers are selling 90% at 31x face - not just $10 rolls either but $500 bags.

• Options
    CrustyCrusty Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SlipKid said:
    Big online dealers are selling 90% at 31x face - not just $10 rolls either but $500 bags.

I’m still scratching my head on who is paying 31x

• Options
    inkdiverinkdiver Posts: 54 ✭✭

I remember pre-2020, you could not even give away for free constitutional. Right now, I am buying foreign 90% constitutional since it's at spot in my neck of the woods. A bit less liquid? Sure, but silver is silver.

• Options
    SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Crusty said:

@SlipKid said:

I’m still scratching my head on who is paying 31x

I'm seeing $35/ounce or approximately 25x Face,

• Options
    edited April 26, 2023 8:08AM

__I'm seeing $35/ounce or approximately 25x Face._

Are you looking at a local dealer? The major dealers, APMEX and JM Bullion, are over 31X retail. Their buy is close to 22.5X

• Options
    SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, you're correct that's even higher, but I've seen buy prices higher locally $24/per
    That price you have seen and Now, I too, is approx $44.00 per ounce of silver. This is some high price or premium don't cha think?> @coinnerd said:

__I'm seeing $35/ounce or approximately 25x Face._

Are you looking at a local dealer? The major dealers, APMEX and JM Bullion, are over 31X retail. Their buy is close to 22.5X

• Options

I am thinking the premiums are high, but I also think the paper COMEX and physical prices are starting to diverge. This is showing up in the demand for physical an the higher premiums. I also saw that both raised their premium for ASEs.

• Options

Not bad for GUTTER metal. 🤔 Huh?

MIKE B.