Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Origins of the 1981 HK-577 1960 Boy Scouts Restrike Medal

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 4, 2023 12:14AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I have a fascination with historical material on issues, whether they are originals or restrikes.

The 1960 Boy Scouts of America National Jamboree medal is cataloged as a So-Called Dollar and these were "reissued" in 1981 by the Boy Scouts. Here's some text on this.

So-CalledDollars.com said:
NOTE: A 39mm medal with similar designs and a reeded edge was produced for collectors in the 1980s as part of a set of restrikes of Boy Scout Jamboree medals. The restrike was produced in pewter and brass, and should not be confused with the original No. 577 produced in 1960, which is smaller, bronze and unreeded.

So it was really neat to come across the following tonight, photo courtesy of lwelane:

Here's an image of one of the originals.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I went to the 1957 National Jamboree at Valley Forge, PA. Did not know about these commemoratives. Might look for one. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 4, 2023 6:15PM

I went to the National Jamboree in 1969 at Farragut State Park, Idaho. We travelled on military planes from Okinawa to Guam and on San Francisco. Wandered around Haight-Ashbury Street area the summer of 69 for a few hours alone in my boy scout uniform at 15. I did get many surprised looks. Saw things I did not even know existed. Three generations of eagle scouts. Dad went to the Jamboree at Valley Forge in 1950.

Bought a stamp album and a couple Whitman coin holders in SF that I could not buy on base at Kadena AFB. Amazing times. Here are a couple. I have original medals from 1950 and 1969 like in the set above somewhere.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭✭✭

I froze my butt off during a Valley Forge January boy scout campout so they could earn a badge/patch. But the dutch oven venison meatloaf was excellent! Georges troops must have been tough as nails.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    edited November 24, 2023 10:46AM

@Goldminers said:
    I went to the National Jamboree in 1969 at Farragut State Park, Idaho. We travelled on military planes from Okinawa to Guam and on San Francisco. Wandered around Haight-Ashbury Street area the summer of 69 for a few hours alone in my boy scout uniform at 15. I did get many surprised looks. Saw things I did not even know existed. Three generations of eagle scouts. Dad went to the Jamboree at Valley Forge in 1950.

Bought a stamp album and a couple Whitman coin holders in SF that I could not buy on base at Kadena AFB. Amazing times. Here are a couple. I have original medals from 1950 and 1969 like in the set above somewhere.

Wonderful memories and medals @Goldminers! It's great to appreciate the memories and experiences that Scouting provides.

• Options

@Namvet69 said:
    I froze my butt off during a Valley Forge January boy scout campout so they could earn a badge/patch. But the dutch oven venison meatloaf was excellent! Georges troops must have been tough as nails.

That sounds like quite the great experience and a great way to appreciate history and what people went through to defend this country. I remember camping in the winter in tents and lean-tos but never been to Valley Forge.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file