Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

"The Best Coins Always End Up in PCGS Holders" - 2022 Edition

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 3, 2023 6:40PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Nice post and result from our hosts:

https://www.pcgs.com/top-selling-coins-2022

The top 20 includes 3 Bass coins. Simpson is also well represented.

Here are some of the coins with TrueViews.

Comments

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2, 2023 3:34AM

When someone uses the word “always”, they’re apt to be wrong, later, if not sooner. In this case, world coins (edited to add: and ancient coins) were omitted and I don’t think that “greatest” is necessarily synonymous with “highest-selling”.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    edited April 2, 2023 3:32AM

@MFeld said:
    When someone uses the word “always”, they’re apt to be wrong, later, if not sooner. In this case, world coins were omitted and I don’t think that “greatest” is necessarily synonymous with “highest-selling”.

In this case, that someone is our hosts, which uses the text on their website that I referred to.

I'm not here to debate the phrasing, just celebrate the coins and accomplishment.

See more here:

• Options

@Zoins said:

@MFeld said:
    When someone uses the word “always”, they’re apt to be wrong, later, if not sooner. In this case, world coins were omitted and I don’t think that “greatest” is necessarily synonymous with “highest-selling”.

In this case, that someone is our hosts, which uses the text on their website that I referred to.

I'm not here to debate the phrasing, just celebrate the coins and accomplishment.

See more here:

I was aware that it was PCGS who used the text to which you referred. And I certainly won’t argue that it’s not a great group of coins.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's hype. LOL.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That 1860 $20 gold is amazing.... The TV looks better than the assigned grade. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m wondering about the Smithsonian and the Ngc. I thought I saw they used them. Just curious. Thanks

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    I’m wondering about the Smithsonian and the Ngc. I thought I saw they used them. Just curious. Thanks

U.S.
    International

• Options

@Jzyskowski1 said:

The list was of coins that sold in 2022, so wouldn’t include coins in the Smithsonian, other museums or those in private hands.

• Options

@Jzyskowski1 said:

My understanding is that NGC provided non-sealed, non-certified/authenticated holders to the Smithsonian purely for archival purposes.

• Options
    Shane6596Shane6596 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those look ok, i guess

Successful BST transactions with....Coinslave87, ChrisH821, Walkerguy21D, SanctionII.......................Received "You Suck" award 02/18/23

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 3, 2023 2:27AM

We’re kind of glossing over the main points being made by our host. Of the highest selling U.S. coins in 2022, the sellers of those coins had each chosen at some point to have their coin graded and authenticated by PCGS, rather than going “across the street”! And it was a perfect 20 out of 20, not “the majority” out of 20, or even 19 out of 20, but every one of the top 20!

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

Replacing the word "always" with the words "tend to" would have me in total agreement because that's what my experiences have shown me. Not all the "best coins" start a life of encapsulation in a PCGS holder but that's the direction they migrate to.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some of the best even get cracked out. Likely because they're not as good as some think.

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am NOT a lawyer.

That said, I do not consider this to be a factual statement. Rather, in my opinion, it is marketing hyperbole (i.e., puffery).

Example

• Options
    batumibatumi Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

Would it be dousing a hornet's nest to inquire if the coins posted by the OP were CAC'd?!

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always laugh whenever I hear that line, I think it's hilarious.

Sure, they might have the top 20 coins for this year, but what about next year? Always is a long time....

Plus, what about coins that haven't even come to auction? The statement is just asking to be picked apart. Personally, I think it might be time for a new advertising line.

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, here’s my ever so humble opinion. Great coins are visually diminished by ugly white prongs! So there!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Smithsonian begs to differ.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

Hey, that gold label doesn't look so bad.

• Options

Let's stay focused and be mindful! Great discussion of the coins everyone :+1::)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file