Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Inexpensive coin TrueViews

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 1, 2023 10:25PM in U.S. Coin Forum

As people might know, I'm a huge fan of TrueViews. Not only do they provide consistent photography, they can be easily verified on Cert Verification so it's a great way to avoid counterfeits.

I like them to the point that I even require them for inexpensive coins, except if the coin is uniquely special like a toner.

Post some inexpensive coins with TrueViews that you have.

Here are some of mine. These coins commonly come without TrueViews so I'm patient and wait till one appears.

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

Somehow, I knew @braddick would swoop in for the win in this thread! :)

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

@Mr_Spud said:
    I think my recent failed attempts of carrying these 4 around in my pocket for a month and submitting them to try and get AU grades counts

Wow. Tough to get circulated grades! I looked them up and they are all MS63 to MS65.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,133 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Shane6596 said:
    That gold indian is an "inexpensive coin?" What am i missing?

Compared to what they typically go for.
    He purchased it close to melt.

peacockcoins

• Options
    edited April 2, 2023 8:31AM

@ricko said:
    Posted before, but acquired it a long time ago.... Cheers, RickO

Wow! Great coin @ricko! I love the old TrueView background.

A benefit of TrueViews is that we also don't have to take and post photos ourselves :)

• Options
    Shane6596Shane6596 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok, i took inexpensive as couple hundred or less. No worries

Successful BST transactions with....Coinslave87, ChrisH821, Walkerguy21D, SanctionII.......................Received "You Suck" award 02/18/23

• Options
    edited April 2, 2023 8:38AM

@Shane6596 said:
    Ok, i took inexpensive as couple hundred or less. No worries

That's how the thread started, but threads can take on a life of their own and it's good to go with the flow.

Of course, with this perspective, multi-million dollar physical Bitcoins could be included :D

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:
    ^
    You listed the 2021-P dime twice.
    See? I do pay attention. . .

Good catch, thank you. I edited it out.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Aspie_Rocco is that 1940 DDR Jefferson really a TrueView or simply a PCGS sniffer-scanner image? I think it is the latter.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2, 2023 10:10AM

@TomB said:
    @Aspie_Rocco is that 1940 DDR Jefferson really a TrueView or simply a PCGS sniffer-scanner image? I think it is the latter.

I’m not sure, it is a less than stellar photo. The scanner image idea might be spot on. It is on the PCGS website and coin info when entering the certificate number

• Options

Pop 8/0 coin with really nice toning over IGWT.

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 8, 2023 6:47PM

Is it me? or is there some reason why PCGS keeps taking Pics of my coins when I am NOT requesting it...
    Anyway, this is from a reason submission. Most would ask why bother grading this coin. well, it's a Minor DDR. In fact, it should have probably not graded with that chunk missing in the reverse but I did not see it until the photo came in.

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2023 7:05PM

@WaterSport said:
    Is it me? or is there some reason why PCGS keeps taking Pics of my coins when I am NOT requesting it...
    Anyway, this is from a reason submission. Most would ask why bother grading this coin. well, it's a Minor DDR. In fact, it should have probably not graded with that chunk missing in the reverse but I did not see it until the photo came in.

Maybe the photographed it so you would see the missing chunk ;)

They tend to take photos of coins they like, so it means you have good taste.

Do you submit without requesting a photo, or do you request specifically not to take photos. These are two different things. If you don't make a request either way, PCGS will photograph coins they like without charging you, which is a good thing. Some prominent collectors have specifically requested no photos.

• Options
    edited April 8, 2023 7:14PM

@ndeagles said:
    Here are some inexpensive coins with trueview, I submitted most of these, and many of them the cost of grading and imaging was more than the coin itself.

Nice coins! Interested to know your reasoning for submitting if the coins are worth less than the cost of grading and imaging? Does the enjoyment you get from the TrueViews make it worthwhile, or is it something else?

• Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    ndeaglesndeagles Posts: 311 ✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    Nice coins! Interested to know your reasoning for submitting if the coins are worth less than the cost of grading and imaging? Does the enjoyment you get from the TrueViews make it worthwhile, or is it something else?

Thanks! Well obviously a financial advisor would recommend against this, but cost isn't really an issue for me and I don't really consider it when making these decisions but different reasoning for each of them.

The Vermont innovation dollars because snowboarding is one of my favorite pasttimes and passions, I went through 500 of them and submitted several, these two include one with a strike through and one I carried in my pocket for 6 months which came in at AU53, the SBA came with the trueview.

The peace dollar is one of my favorite coins when it looks old and dirty, I don't like the coin when it's white, and prefer it circulated, I have an everyman's date set and all the coins have this dark color to them, most people tend to pass over them, but I really like them with the dark color.

The Sac and FL quarter are part of my "Space Case" box of 20

The ASE and Ike I really liked the toning.

PCGS is great at marketing, the set registry has me buying coins I wouldn't typically buy, and the TrueView images I really enjoy to look at. I love the history of coins, I love to look at and hold coins all coins old and new and for certain coins with sentimental value, I love to have the TV images. For example I plan to submit a bunch of modern Spanish pesetas and Spain euro coins and will get the TV. I lived in Spain in 05/06 doing a study abroad (Business in the EU) so those coins have a sentimental value, same with the Vermont dollars.

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

A swing and A miss for PL.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    scooter25scooter25 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭✭

Got a few of these!! Love the true views and will get them when I can!

• Options

I could do this for days :|

• Options

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

This coin was submitted to PCGS so that they would attribute another very similar, rare 74-S Die marriage properly. It was my first submission of coins for TPG grading and was surprised that it straight graded with the large surface pit on the coin and scratched reverse.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is my cheapest coin with a TV. It’s from my Morgan date set.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file