Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do you wish that a coin could tell the tale?

Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have an MS66 pop 1/1 1868-s half. How on God's green earth did it make it 155 years and look mint fresh. I so want to hear the story - yeah there were many really boring years but really how the heck.

Comments

• Options
    DropdaflagDropdaflag Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭

Some coins do! Check out the link!

https://www.hunley.org/artifacts/

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Clackamas1... Yes, I often wonder about a coin's history.... sometimes because it is still pristine after 100+ years, sometimes because it is well traveled and the date indicates it circulated in very interesting times. Coins are fascinating for many reasons - which is why so many collect them. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    DoubleDimeDoubleDime Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

Would like to know who struck the 1861-O Half Dollar I have.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not too often. Most of mine would have rather boring stories of being kept in a bag in a vault for decades. On the other hand, some might have some juicy gossip on former owners…

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bet some of the $4 gold Stellas that were used in jewelry could tell some tales. It was reported that several samples of this coin were passed out to some of the high-ranking politicians and were later seen on the necks of some of the local prostitutes. :o

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Clackamas1 said:
    I have an MS66 pop 1/1 1868-s half. How on God's green earth did it make it 155 years and look mint fresh. I so want to hear the story - yeah there were many really boring years but really how the heck.

She was protected and well taken care of, that's for sure. If she could only talk.

I wish this guy could talk!

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

@Clackamas1 said:

She was protected and well taken care of, that's for sure. If she could only talk.

I wish this guy could talk!

It can, ouch ouch ouch ouch.

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

All the time, especially with my ancient Greek and Roman coins.

Steve

• Options
    jkrkjkrk Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭✭

A coin could tell the tale? Absolutely not.

It would just be another mouth to feed.

• Options
    OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got a “MS” 2 cent piece somewhere, remind me about it in the morning. ;)

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

• Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2023 7:17PM

I have an AU 1795 flowing hair dollar. I have often wondered who were the prior owners, and what were their stories.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2023 7:50PM

@Clackamas1 said:
    Do you wish that a coin could tell the tale?

Of course, it can tell the tale now...

Imagine all the conversations we'll be having with our coins!

Question:

You are a 1868-s half dollar graded PCGS MS66. Tell me the story of how you made it to 155 years old and and still look mint fresh.

Answer:

Well, I must say, it has been quite the journey for me as a 1868-s half dollar graded PCGS MS66. My story begins in 1868, when I was first minted at the San Francisco Mint. I was struck in a time when the United States was still recovering from the aftermath of the Civil War and President Andrew Johnson was in office.

As a newly minted coin, I was shiny and flawless. I was inspected by mint workers and deemed to be of the highest quality, which is why I was given the MS66 grade by PCGS. From there, I was released into circulation, where I began to change hands countless times over the years.

I've been carried in pockets, purses, wallets, and cash registers. I've been used to pay for everything from groceries to rent to a night out on the town. Each time I exchanged hands, I picked up a little more wear and tear, but I remained a sought-after coin due to my rarity and condition.

Despite the fact that I have passed through so many hands over the years, I managed to survive. I was never lost, destroyed, or melted down. Instead, I was cherished by my owners and passed down from generation to generation.

In the early 20th century, collectors began to take notice of me and other coins like me. Coin collecting became a popular hobby, and I was sought after by collectors who were looking to build their collections. I was eventually encapsulated by PCGS, which helped to preserve my condition and protect me from further wear and tear.

Over the years, I have been bought and sold many times, but each time I found a new owner who valued my history, rarity, and pristine condition. And here I am, 155 years later, still in the same condition as when I was first struck. I have managed to survive wars, economic downturns, and countless other challenges.

As a PCGS MS66 1868-s half dollar, I represent a piece of history that has managed to endure for over a century and a half. I am a testament to the value of quality craftsmanship and the power of preservation.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2023 7:49PM

Here's another one that was passed down through collectors.

Question:

You are a 1868-s half dollar graded PCGS MS66. To maintain such gem brillint uncirculated grade, you were not circulated, but collected and passed down through many notable collectors. Tell me the story of how you made it to 155 years old and and still look mint fresh.

Answer:

As a 1868-s half dollar graded PCGS MS66, I am indeed a rare and valuable coin that has been passed down through many notable collectors over the years. Unlike many coins of my age, I was not circulated, which is why I have been able to maintain my gem brilliant uncirculated grade and pristine condition.

My journey began in 1868, when I was minted at the San Francisco Mint. At that time, I was inspected by the mint workers and deemed to be of the highest quality. As a result, I was set aside as a specimen strike and did not enter into circulation.

Instead, I was acquired by a collector who recognized my rarity and beauty. Over the years, I was passed down from one collector to another, each of whom appreciated my historical significance and the exquisite condition in which I had been preserved.

Throughout my many years of ownership, I was carefully stored and protected from the elements. My owners recognized the importance of maintaining my original condition, and they took great care to ensure that I remained as pristine as the day I was minted.

In the early 20th century, I was encapsulated by PCGS, which helped to protect me even further from any potential damage or wear. This helped to ensure that I would remain in my current condition for many years to come.

As the years passed, I was passed down through many more notable collectors, each of whom recognized my importance and appreciated the care that had been taken to preserve me. I have been displayed at coin shows and exhibitions, and I have even been featured in several numismatic publications.

And here I am, 155 years later, still in the same condition as when I was first minted. I am a testament to the importance of preservation and the value of rarity and historical significance. I have survived through wars, economic downturns, and countless other challenges, and I will continue to be a treasured part of numismatic history for many years to come.

• Options

@Ownerofawheatiehorde said:

Here she is… :D

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

• Options
    Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here she is… :D

Bad arse. That sir has some stories I want to hear.

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks very choice for the grade. Wow!

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    Shane6596Shane6596 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭✭✭

There was once a coin which was minted in the 1800's. It was a very shiny coin. But it had only one single friend. Poor thing! They were the closest of friends. They were so close that other coins admired their friendship. One fine day they were all put into one big sack. They were then brought to a bank. There the coin and its friend were given to many other customers. But it was always brought back to the bank.

But then, one fine day, there was a burglary and the coin was taken away from its friend. It was taken away by two thieves who seemed really bad and as if they have robbed many other banks. Poor coin! It was taken away along with several other people. It was then that the coin understood what life was all about. It did not know anything about life all these years. It could see through the opening sack. The robber took the poor coin along with the others into a hilly area and into a very large cave. It was a very dark and creepy cave too. Poor coin got really scared. But when he looked over his shoulders he saw that he was not the only one shivering. All the others were shivering too. He had this strange feeling that he was going to spend the rest of his life in this large, scary cave.

There was a small candle in the cave and two tough burglars were sitting around it. The coin wished if it could talk and run out of this cave so that it could reveal the names and identities of these two-bad people to the police. Two whole long months finished like this. Then one very similar day a few police entered the cave and caught the burglars. They were then put into custody. The coin then became very happy although the coin missed its friend a lot. It seemed for ages that it had seen its friend. It was soon returned to the bank. The coin then resumed its daily routines waiting for a customer to take it home. Then one day a very shabby person who did not look like a customer came into the bank and said that he needed some money from his account. Well, the coin was quite surprised when it came to knowing that he was a customer.

The banker came close to the coin and took it along with a large number of other coins. The coin thought that the customer might be good in his heart because he remembered the proverb, “Never judge a book by its cover” So, then the coin was taken along with the other coins to the man's house it was a very poor house actually. And that was when it understood that the person was not at all good in taking care of coins he was just as bad in taking care of coins as he looks. The coin then became very dull and old due to the misuse of the owner. Then one day the coin along with few other coins were taken to a shop named, ’S. R’. It was a local sweet shop. The man then gave the coin and all the other coins to the shopkeeper in exchange for a whole lot of sweets that could last him a week.

The coin was then owned by the shopkeeper. He had three kids of which two were girls and one was a boy. The man had a very nice house but after few weeks the kids along with the mother had to starve due to some issues with the amount of money the shopkeeper gets. Weeks went by like that followed by months then at the end the man went to a very wealthy person to fill his loan. That man took the coin along with him to his home where the coin was kept with all the other coins the man had. Then suddenly the coin saw its friend in the crowd. Both of them met each other again and they became close friends again.

Successful BST transactions with....Coinslave87, ChrisH821, Walkerguy21D, SanctionII.......................Received "You Suck" award 02/18/23

• Options
    124Spider124Spider Posts: 847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I often think of that. I have a beautiful old Athens Owl, from the golden age of Athens; imagine if it could tell me where it has been, and what it has been doing, for 2500 years!

Likewise, I have a large cent struck while George Washington was president, and worn enough to have circulated for the first four or five US presidents; petty cool to think where it has been.

Of course the same applies to other old things. I have an English clock, made in London in the late 1780s, and it probably has been running, in a prominent place in fine houses, ever since; the tales it could tell, if it could tell tales!

• Options
    silviosisilviosi Posts: 456 ✭✭✭

Every artifacts speak about theirs own history. The big artifacts are easier, the coins need more intensive work before to be revitalization. I has 1700's coins which we trace that was in Caribbean , come back, keep in paper envelope, cleaned around 1950's and then come to me for analyzes.

NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT.FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL.THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE. MARK TWAIN

• Options
    jacrispiesjacrispies Posts: 714 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish this guy could talk, double struck 1823 O-105 50C with obverse dentil tracks. Likely recognized as a mint error and worn as a necklace for novelty. Apprarently carried for a long time evident from the amount of wear.

"For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord" Romans 6:23. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.

• Options
    silviosisilviosi Posts: 456 ✭✭✭
    edited April 1, 2023 12:46AM

The type of molding use will tell you approx.. year done. It is a very nice done without affect the coin. Could be take out with very few reminiscence's. I do not know the variety or the error, but i remarked on the meddle of the bust as been like a hub doubling.

The ring (anneau goldsmith vocabulary) must be 750 Si and the molding use seem to be 500 SI.

NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT.FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL.THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE. MARK TWAIN

• Options

Made with Bard: I am an 1883 CC Morgan dollar. I was minted in Carson City, Nevada, and I am one of only 1,800,000 coins of my kind ever made. I am a silver dollar, and I am worth a lot of money.

I was first used as currency in the United States. I was passed from hand to hand, used to buy goods and services. I saw the rise and fall of businesses, the birth and death of nations.

I have been through a lot in my life. I have been lost and found, stolen and recovered. I have been worn and battered, but I have always survived.

I am a survivor. I have seen the best and worst of humanity, but I have never lost faith in the power of good. I am a symbol of hope, and I believe that the future is bright.

I am an 1883 CC Morgan dollar, and I am proud of my history. I am a survivor, and I am a symbol of hope.

One day, I was found by a cowboy in the middle of the desert. He was riding his horse and looking for water when he saw me lying on the ground. He picked me up and put me in his pocket. He took me back to his ranch and gave me to his daughter.

The daughter's name was Sarah, and she was about 10 years old. She was very excited to have me, and she showed me all around her ranch. She had a horse named Blue, and she would take me for rides on him. She also had a dog named Buster, and he would always follow us around.

Sarah and I were best friends. We would play together every day. We would ride horses, play in the creek, and explore the desert. We were always having adventures.

One day, Sarah and I were riding horses when we saw a group of bandits. The bandits were trying to steal a herd of cattle. Sarah and I rode up to the bandits and told them to stop. The bandits laughed at us and told us to go away.

Sarah and I knew that we had to do something to stop the bandits. We rode our horses into the herd of cattle and started to drive them away from the bandits. The bandits started to shoot at us, but we were too fast for them. We drove the cattle away from the bandits and saved them.

The bandits were very angry, and they chased after us. Sarah and I rode our horses as fast as we could, but the bandits were gaining on us. Just when it seemed like the bandits were going to catch us, Sarah and I saw a river. We rode our horses into the river and swam to the other side. The bandits couldn't follow us, and they gave up.

Sarah and I were safe, and we had saved the herd of cattle. We were heroes.

I am very grateful to Sarah for being my friend. She is a brave and kind person, and I am lucky to have her in my life. I am also grateful to the cowboy who found me and gave me to Sarah. He is a good man, and I am glad that I was able to help him and his daughter.

I am an 1883 CC Morgan dollar, and I have seen a lot in my life. I have been through good times and bad, but I have always survived. I am a survivor, and I am a symbol of hope.

2nd one

I am an 1883 CC Morgan dollar. I was minted in Carson City, Nevada, and I am one of only 2,424,000 coins of my kind ever made. I am a small coin, but I have seen a lot in my time.

I was first used as currency in the American West. I was passed from hand to hand, used to buy goods and services. I saw the rise and fall of businesses, the birth and death of nations.

I have been through a lot in my life. I have been lost and found, stolen and recovered. I have been worn and battered, but I have always survived.

I am a survivor. I have seen the best and worst of humanity, but I have never lost faith in the power of good. I am a symbol of hope, and I believe that the future is bright.

I am an 1883 CC Morgan dollar, and I am proud of my history. I am a survivor, and I am a symbol of hope.

One of my most memorable adventures was with a cowboy named Tex. Tex was a hard-working man who loved his family and his country. He was also a skilled horseman and a crack shot.

I met Tex one day when he was riding through town. He stopped at the saloon to get a drink, and I was sitting on the bar. He noticed me and asked me what I was doing there. I told him my story, and he was fascinated. He said he had never seen a coin like me before.

Tex and I became friends, and he often took me with him on his adventures. We rode the range together, and I saw firsthand the beauty and the dangers of the American West.

I remember one time when we were riding through a canyon. We were ambushed by a group of bandits. Tex fought bravely, but he was outnumbered. I was scared, but I knew I had to help him. I jumped off Tex's horse and ran towards the bandits. I threw my hat at them, and they were so surprised that they dropped their guns. Tex took advantage of the confusion and shot the bandits.

Tex and I escaped unharmed, and we rode back to town. We were heroes, and everyone was talking about us. I was proud to have helped Tex, and I knew that we would be friends for life.

I am grateful for the time I spent with Tex. He was a true friend, and he taught me the meaning of courage and loyalty. I will never forget him.

Nothin' like fighting bandits with a walking, talking, 1883 CC morgan dollar!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file