Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Stained?

sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 4, 2023 8:05AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Would this have been called artificial toning in the past? Or is it natural staining? What's the difference between toning and staining? Is toning oxidation and staining a foreign substance, or oxidation as the result of exposure to a foreign substance? Then isn't it toning? (Excuse wrong forum until moved-I have made a request.)

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.

Comments

• Options
    GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 805 ✭✭✭✭

It looks more like toning (Artificial or natural) that a stain.
    A stain I would think would be more of all the same colour.
    Contact PCGS and request an answer.

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Russell, you might get more replies if a moderator moved this thread to a coin forum.

• Options
    tomtomtomtomtomtomtomtom Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2023 3:10PM

As soon as I posted it, I flagged it and asked that it be moved to U.S. Coins where I had intended to post it. I apologize for the mistake and I'll try contacting Heather Boyd of the Currency Forum directly.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back to the coin, it looks like toning not a stain. IMO.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does the rev look different in terms of a "stain"? Obv appears toned to me. Nice coin.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall