Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Interesting Change Find...

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Although regularly finding a Lincoln wheat cent or occasionally a silver Roosevelt dime is a neat. Seeing a 61-year-old red copper is not the norm. Guessing due to the economy some of grandpa's cent rolls made their way to a bank. I noticed it being different as it dropped out of the self-checkout change slot.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fun find! Sometimes I find a red bu cent from the early 70s. I keep it of course!

• Options
    2windy2fish2windy2fish Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will often send stuff like this back into circulation when i come across it in a buy or acquisition…
    Small value and a 2x2 will cost more than the coin is worth…better to send it back out where it may pique someone’s interest…
    I am certain the coin roll hunters near me are perplexed!

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭✭✭

With over 600M minted and 60+ years, folks realize they're not really worth holding on to and just throw them back.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool find, will make a nice album coin.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found a nice RD/RB 1970 Lincoln in change a few years ago... it's in my 7070 album today! Like others have said, I think the family just dumps rolls of these things into Coinstar machines.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    dunkleosteus430dunkleosteus430 Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭

I found a red 1959 cent in my first and only coin roll hunt of cents.

Young Numismatist

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a bunch of rolls of 60 to 63 unc cents my dad saved; I should start feeding them into the system.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2windy2fish said:
    I will often send stuff like this back into circulation when i come across it in a buy or acquisition…
    Small value and a 2x2 will cost more than the coin is worth…better to send it back out where it may pique someone’s interest…
    I am certain the coin roll hunters near me are perplexed!

Agree.

I do it myself. I dumped about 50 BU rolls from the 60s into a CoinStar last summer. That could be one of them.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

Postage rates are soaring so shipping very inexpensive rolls is no longer economical.

Rolls are being choiced and the lesser coins spent. This has been going on for years now so even the coins being spent are actually two cuts above what's typical for the date. Since large percentages of these old rolls and bags are tarnished and spotted now day there is an implication that perhaps these coins are finally much harder to obtain than the market is pricing them. Probably more than 95% of the coins set aside are now back in circulation or degraded.

I'm going through a bunch of 1965 cents now which is a far better date than the '62 and most will go into circulation anyway. I'll wholesale a few rolls of the nicest ones and might find ten or twelve coins worth saving. Most will just be dumped in circulation as not worth the cost to ship.

The '62 might have been saved if not for the carbon spots. Many many rolls will have all spotted or tarnished coins.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find!

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:
    Cool find, will make a nice album coin.

I like doing that as they come along myself, fwiw

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dunkleosteus430 ... Nice 1959 cent... That was the year I joined the Navy.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 493 ✭✭✭✭✭

That cent is as old as I am, and in better shape than I am.

• Options
    RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭

Hard to believe that finding a red penny from 1960's is being discussed in such a way as to say that its a rare find. Oh boy either I am getting too old or just not realizing father time ticking by. Nice one though.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RobertScotLover said:
    Hard to believe that finding a red penny from 1960's is being discussed in such a way as to say that its a rare find. Oh boy either I am getting too old or just not realizing father time ticking by. Nice one though.

A very wise man once said, "Time don't fly, it bounds and leaps".

It seems the subject of time makes the most profound sayings and the most interesting science fiction.

Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file