Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

Ebay on 60 minutes last night.

sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 27, 2023 12:31PM in Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins

Anybody see it? Not too flattering. As a long time ex -Ebay seller, I'm not running back.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.

Comments

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 27, 2023 5:55AM

This incident happened in 2019 when Ebay executives mailed spiders and other nasty items to a couple who ran an online newsletter with articles about Ebay.

For some reason there are no descriptions of the spiders in any of the news reports.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sellitstore said:
    Anybody see it? Not too flattering. As a long time ex -Ebay seller, I'm not running back.

I saw it. The problem with power isn't power-sellers.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did not see the program - just do not watch much TV. Anybody care to post a synopsis? Cheers, RickO

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ricko,
    High level ebay execs traveled from the west coast to the east coast and ...since(after) the FBI was called in by the local police...these eBay employees were found guilty of some stupid stuff. Linked allegedly to the eBay top dog.
    You can research it by key words, ina Steiner, e-commerce bytes...her newsletter critiquing most internet sales platforms.
    Just amazing corporate stupidity.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's basically a story about rogue employees. Albeit a very bad one.

• Options
    GrantuGrantu Posts: 188 ✭✭✭

Watched most of it last night, wasn’t a great look for Ebay.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 27, 2023 9:15AM

There's always an opportunity for someone to do it the right way. Be interesting to see how most here [if they were the top dog at a similar venue] would handle their first scam situation.
    Someone buys a $3K coin, but gets an empty box. What are you going to do about it?

So take the worst things about eBay and the best things about eBay and go from there.

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 27, 2023 9:53AM

I never knew that story until 60 minutes last night (kept it on after BB game to see Charles Barkley interview but ebay story was better). Funny how the CEO was obsessed with a blog with 1990s graphics. Good thing he never saw the ebay posts on the CU forums!

And holy crap Scott Pelly looks like death warmed over!

• Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 493 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not watch the liberal lunacy media, so I missed this one. No need to worry about time I would not get back.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

Didn't see it, but learned some stuff about it here. Thanks @streeter

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭✭✭

happens more often then we think and with office politics involved yeah it's not a good combo and e-bay doesn't have the best rep anyways so doubt it can hurt something they barely have to start with

• Options

Moved to BST
    This is more about Ebay than anything else, not even about buying or selling coins.

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 28, 2023 5:28AM

I do not agree. Many here buy and sell on Ebay, so this is about buying and selling coins.

Search "Ebay" and you will find plenty of threads about Ebay that haven't been moved to BST.

I understand that certain members have tried to make this political and that's a better reason to kill it than move it.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.