Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

U.S. Centennial Independence Hall w Trees So-Called Dollars Star and No Star Varieties HK-27 HK-27a

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 26, 2023 9:37AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I just got back the PhotoVision for my HK-27a / SH 2-46 "No Star" variety so I thought it was worth comparing it with the HK-27 / SH 2-45 "Star" variety.

The star is near the bottom edge on the bell side of the medal.

Of note, there's a significant difference in the crack in the bell on these varieties, with the crack being much longer on the star variety.

1876 Centennial Small Liberty Bell With Star / Independence Hall With Trees - Bronze - HK-27, SH 2-45

1876 Centennial Small Liberty Bell No Star / Independence Hall With Trees - Bronze - HK-27a, SH 2-46

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins .... Very nice. Looks as if two different dies were used for the Liberty bell. Independence Hall and the Liberty bell are neat to visit - such history. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the NGC photo. I have one for one of my coins and it looks exactly like the coin in hand.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options

@ricko said:
    @Zoins .... Very nice. Looks as if two different dies were used for the Liberty bell. Independence Hall and the Liberty bell are neat to visit - such history. Cheers, RickO

Thanks @ricko! The Liberty Bell sides are definitely struck from different dies which can be seen from examining the bell crack, star and location of the word THEREOF.

I agree they are wonderful places and artifacts to visit from our history!

• Options
    edited March 26, 2023 8:23AM

@gumby1234 said:
    I like the NGC photo. I have one for one of my coins and it looks exactly like the coin in hand.

Their photos are improving which is good for the hobby!

I still wish they would list them on Cert Verification.

• Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭✭

nice. I like the contrast on the no star version.

• Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice medal and pics. I like the Photo vision.
    Wish they were public though.

• Options
    edited March 26, 2023 9:36AM

@Flatwoods said:

Thanks! Some of them come out nicer than others and this is one of the nicer ones.

I agree. I've purchased a few things with PVs (as seen on Heritage) and it would be nice to have access to the images.

I think it's useful for them to hear why it's important. I talked to a person at ANA and I got the feeling that they didn't understand the use case.

• Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@Flatwoods said:

Thanks! Some of them come out nicer than others and this is one of the nicer ones.

I agree. I've purchased a few things with PVs (as seen on Heritage) and it would be nice to have access to the images.

I think it's useful for them to hear why it's important. I talked to a person at ANA and I got the feeling that they didn't understand the use case.

At least you talked to somebody! I have been trying to reach both major graders about issues with no success.

• Options
    edited March 26, 2023 9:48AM

@Flatwoods said:

@Zoins said:

@Flatwoods said:

At least you talked to somebody! I have been trying to reach both major graders about issues with no success.

I happened to be at ANA, so I had a captive audience while doing my submission ;)

I also had a submission go to our hosts which is in imaging now. Hope to have the TrueViews soon.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file