Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Have you seen a coin that needed a shave?

oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 24, 2023 4:55PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I was doing some browsing on HA.com and stumbled across this 1865 2C NGC MS63 RB.

What to you think, brush bristle remnants after conservation? Felt fuzz from when it was raw in a display tray? I would not be pleased with the images, nor the residual remains on this coin enclosed in the the slab,

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...

Comments

• Options
    2windy2fish2windy2fish Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭✭

Embarrassing for the QC person…

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well hopefully it's just facial hair!

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's terrible and disgusting!! IMO.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 24, 2023 6:27PM

Wouldn't NGC re-slab that coin free of charge for the owner?

Wouldn't the barcode identify the team that processed the coin and the slab?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

1865 Two Cent pieces are known to have five o'clock shadow.

That is really weird, what the heck could that be?

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 24, 2023 8:06PM

Looks more like graffiti to me.
    I think I see TRUST written above the letters TRUST.
    The pattern within the shield is also repetitive.
    If so, are they tiny scratches, or pencil / pen?

• Options
    VasantiVasanti Posts: 448 ✭✭✭✭

@yosclimber said:
    Looks more like graffiti to me.
    I think I see TRUST written above the letters TRUST.
    The pattern within the shield is also repetitive.
    If so, are they tiny scratches, or pencil / pen?

No, it’s something like hair or carpet fiber. You can see where it has stained the coin and it’s also inside the holder.

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe the regularity of the pattern within the shield was a result of trying to brush the fibers downward to remove them.

• Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

hairlines

Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

They'll just use some compressed air to blow off any debris and then put it in a new shell. If you go to a major show where they are set up for on-site grading, they may be able to fix it while you're cruising the bourse floor.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

To All Employees!........Electric razors shall not be used at your work area.
    Damn felt fuzz, for sure.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely extraneous fibers, likely from felt or similar liner where the coin was previously stored. Surprised it was slabbed without removal. TPG should rectify. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Compressed air has propellants in it that may affect the surface of the coin over the long term. Do the TPGs use this during encapsulation? I agree this piece was probably stored in a coin cabinet lined with felt but getting the fibers off should have occurred beforehand...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    Riley1955Riley1955 Posts: 136 ✭✭✭

Wow, that would suck.

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s possible that these “hairs” are not loose, but attached to the surface by some substance. A lot of times, a coin that has pvc residue on the surface, which is generally somewhat sticky, will have little bits of hair or lint that cannot be removed with compressed air, because they are literally “stuck” on the coin.

It is possible that this is the case with this coin, though I don’t see any major signs of any residue (and there is atleast one fiber not attached to the coin). In such a case, the TPG would not be in a position to remove the hairs/lint/substance unless under the conservation tear. On the other hand, they could details grade such a coin.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

23 more cents and it could get a haircut too.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file