Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My best guess is late stage die cap strike, but I'd like to know what it really is.

I found this one in a quarter roll. Because the obverse is so weakly defined, and the reverse is sharply struck, it seems to fit a late stage die cap scenario. The other two possibilities I can imagine are a very large grease strike through, or someone inflicting PMD. But the even nature of the obverse's faded details and the lack of any sign of PMD on the reverse seem to rule out the PMD theory. The couple of obvious scratches on the obverse could be from a later event, but perhaps not?

So please, those who have the experience weigh in. What have I got here?

Comments

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe roadrage?

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

PMD

• Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭

@hawkowl said:
    ...or someone inflicting PMD.

This

Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

“ environmentally damaged surfaces’

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@hawkowl... Good pictures. It is PMD, as @FredWeinberg said above... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    hawkowlhawkowl Posts: 30 ✭✭

Okay, thanks.

I accept the consensus of the group as to PMD, but to further my education (and anyone else reading this who might be interested), can I ask "why PMD?".

Is it because a late-stage die cap strike simply doesn't look like this, or are there other clues that specifically point to PMD, or both?

I would expect that accidental environmental damage would also affect the reverse somewhat, but the reverse shows virtually no wear or damage.

Do I conclude then that this was an intentional act by someone who wanted to see what it looks like to wear down the front of a coin?

Again, not trying to be contrary, I really am interested in how we draw the conclusion PMD?

Thanks again all for your help on this one.

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

More than likely somebody was experimenting on this coin. People do the densest things.

It looks nothing like a coin struck thru a late stage die cap.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    Shane6596Shane6596 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found a coin very similar to that in a parking lot. One side worn away quite a bit, the other almost untouched. My guess was it was run over many times and was "sanded" by the pavement on the side facing down. The rubber tires wouldnt do as much damage to face up side.

Just a guess.

Successful BST transactions with....Coinslave87, ChrisH821, Walkerguy21D, SanctionII.......................Received "You Suck" award 02/18/23

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file