Home U.S. Coin Forum

Small time dealers?

Would like to know if any of you have made it as small time side dealers or not? How long have you been at it?

Collecting interests: Mexico & Peru early milled 1 reales + 1796-1891 US dimes

Sports: NHL & NFL

Thank you Lord for another beautiful day!!!

Comments

• PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 23, 2023 11:23PM

@jmlanzaf said:
    What does "made it" mean? A lot of people deal a little in the side, including myself. But there's a reason most people keep their day job.

Sorry I thought this was a question for me then realized it was not.

• winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    What does "made it" mean? A lot of people deal a little in the side, including myself. But there's a reason most people keep their day job.

I use the term “made” to mean more had to be done with the coin for me to buy it from him than him simply finding the coin on the bourse ready for me to buy it, with both stickers already in place for me when he found the coin. See my examples above.

He’s super bright, graduating with a Bachelor’s degree in May in a highly specialized major. Yes, that will be his “Day Job”, and this will continue to be a profitable and fun sideline for him.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PillarDollarCollector said:

@jmlanzaf said:

No. It was meant for you.

• winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 23, 2023 11:30PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Oh, and here I thought the “made it” question was for me, lol, but now I see it was meant for @PillarDollarCollector .

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven.... That is one super beautiful IHC.... Cheers, RickO

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know what counts as 'made it' but I do some dealing on the side myself. Mostly on my free and off times to give me something to do. :)

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭✭

** Selling isn't the hard part, buying is.**

Roger that, that’s why I got out. My main source, a former part time guy that had inside connections with the south Florida estate handlers, changed his business model. He then went full time on the national circuit and became pretty successful.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug

@jmlanzaf said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I simply meant people that have done it for a while without having to fold and have turned a profit more times than not.

• silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

been selling coins for a little over 14 or more yrs, as for making it depends on many factors

• 1madman1madman Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

I've done it for 25 years. As a side gig, there would be no reason to fold up due to lack of sales. Selling isn't the hard part, buying is.

One of the best buying opportunities for coins in recent decades came from the years 2015-2019. Good thing you’re not buying now, because this is a sellers market. Anyone holding on to coins basically less than unique at this point need to consider dumping at these record prices.

• smalltimesmalltime Posts: 171 ✭✭✭

Been dealing in raw Kennedy Half Dollars since 2014 on Ebay. I open the mint rolls and take the culls to the bank at a big loss and sell the rest in Gem Sets. Occasionally snag a great coin to add to my registry set. Have sold about 55,000 Kennedys so far. I think I am successful (made it). Like mentioned above, buying is the hard part. ALWAYS on the lookout for a decent deal on rolls.

Glad to see it has worked out for some of you!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file