Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Two BIG Ikes just sold today! (One for 20K)

braddickbraddick Posts: 23,133 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been watching some Ikes and noticed these two sold today.
Your opinion- too much or just about right (for the rarity)?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304834922616?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/285200191849?

peacockcoins

Comments

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the luster on the first one. Unless it looks better in hand I'd avoid the second one.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well. Being as how this 70 looks to be about 10% of the sales price. Not so much.

😂😂😂. Twenty grand 😂😂😂

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options

I know. Ms vs. pf. I’m just saying

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dsessom said:
    No Ike is worth $20k, and I really love that series. I mean, apparently it's worth $20k to somebody, but I just can't imagine why anyone would spend that much on a modern silver dollar.

Try and find another that nice.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

Insanity.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dsessom said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@dsessom said:
    No Ike is worth $20k, and I really love that series. I mean, apparently it's worth $20k to somebody, but I just can't imagine why anyone would spend that much on a modern silver dollar.

It might be the nicest Ike in the world, I just personally cannot see $20,000 valuation for any Ike. And as I said, I am fond of the series, and have a full, completed Registry set.

Me, neither. I also wouldn't pay $1000 for an SVDB or 16D dime. But I understand why people do and I understand why the Ike sells for $20k. They are hard to find nice.

• Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭

The 76 is a stunner for sure. However, I have three other coins on my list that I could blow through 20k first.

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

As I have said before
    Great American
    Ugly coin.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

I could find some nice classic coinage for those $$$'s.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on those pics I question the grade.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

Crazy Crazy Crazy.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dsessom said:

I could see $20k+ for the rare prototype or maybe a rare unique off metal error, but for a normal “condition rarity,” I fully agree.

• Options
    NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 899 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting. Silver Ike - $20K. I would even understand it more if it were clad and was meant for circulation, but this was made as a collectors piece. Not trying to throw rocks at the new owner... if they love it, that's amazing that they have it. I am just trying to wrap my head around it.

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• Options

@Floridafacelifter
    I believe he posted some very unusual coins with documents and a provenance a mile long and I don’t recall the value but it was just so different as to complete paperwork and such. I would love to hear from him. Thanks

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... $20K for an Ike dollar.... Must be very important to the buyer.... Truly hope he/she will be happy with their coin. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    @Floridafacelifter
    I believe he posted some very unusual coins with documents and a provenance a mile long and I don’t recall the value but it was just so different as to complete paperwork and such. I would love to hear from him. Thanks

Good morning all! I have posted about the unique 1878-S SP65 Morgan and 1922 HR PR67 Matte Peace $, both of which I can pretty much trace from the day they were minted to present, but nothing about Ikes- that’s probably what you’re remembering!

• Options
    edited March 24, 2023 6:37AM

Good morning
    I was thinking about the Kennedy halfs if I remember.

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@dsessom said:

Here are my 68's for comparison. I thought they looked OK.

• Options

@dsessom said:

You can find Ikes that are comparably scarce to Morgans for a tiny fraction of the cost of the older coin. lots of people find this highly attractive. If the '73-S looks in hand as it does in the photo then it might be no substitute for a $20,000 Morgan.

But to get a Morgan as outstanding as the '76 would probably be very costly.

I personally prefer the business strikes because it's easy to find really nice proofs and S-mint silver Ikes. It is not at all easy to find high grade circulation issues and second rate coins can appear about fourth rate. To me Ikes need to be near-Gem or fully Gem to even be attractive.

To each his own.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    CoinPhysicistCoinPhysicist Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭

As long as the buyer is happy...

I would never personally never pay $20k for a modern condition rarity. I wouldn’t even pay $100 for it. Just doesn’t interest me.

Successful transactions with: wondercoin, Tetromibi, PerryHall, PlatinumDuck, JohnMaben/Pegasus Coin & Jewelry, CoinFlip, and coinlieutenant.

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@dsessom said:

I'm willing to bet there are others out there that till reside in the 3-piece Mint Set that simply haven't been slabbed yet...these were still being sold out of the Mint's annual catalog for years after release...to say nothing of the thousands or more that went to overseas buyers, etc.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2023 2:11PM

@telephoto1 said:

I'm willing to bet there are others out there that till reside in the 3-piece Mint Set that simply haven't been slabbed yet...these were still being sold out of the Mint's annual catalog for years after release...to say nothing of the thousands or more that went to overseas buyers, etc.

Of course there are more out there.

I seriously doubt there are very many because they are scarce even in MS-68.

But the ones sold up until 1981 are an entirely different coin and there is no chance at all one will grade very high. In July of 1976 the mint reinterpreted the authorizing legislation to mean they had to strike many millions more and it was far too late to accomplish on the numismatic presses they had been using for these sets. So they ran them off on high speed presses. They looked like junk but they were up to spec so they still counted. These coins were then put in 55 gal steel drums and apparently rolled back and forth across the mint judging by the amount of marking on them. Sets sold after 1976 were sold in different packaging and in plastic sleeves without a white stripe on them.

Sales of these were very poor even though they were briefly available for less than the value of silver in October or November of 1979. Many of these sets were smelted even before the government melted the remainder, millions of them, in 1981/2. They are so scarce it's a wonder they don't have a numismatic premium.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    CuprinkorCuprinkor Posts: 202 ✭✭✭

I know which three piece sets you're referring to, Cladking. The later issued sets are housed in more vivid red envelopes with somewhat indistinct or blurry lettering and the coins contained within are really beat up. Those coins need to be melted and restruck into something more attractive.

• Options

@Cuprinkor said:
    I know which three piece sets you're referring to, Cladking. The later issued sets are housed in more vivid red envelopes with somewhat indistinct or blurry lettering and the coins contained within are really beat up. Those coins need to be melted and restruck into something more attractive.

They are truly ugly.

For years most wholesale buyers used a disclaimer that they wouldn't accept sets without the white stripe on the sleeve. But I rarely see this any longer leading me to suspect there really is a little demand for them.

They used to account for about 2% of larger accumulations but they may have suffered even higher attrition than the good sets.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options

Here are three Ikes graded in the same submission/batch sent to PCGS.
    I'd imagine if the inserts were covered, some might have difficulty determining which one
    is the MS66; MS67, and MS68:

peacockcoins

• Options

$7000? $20,000??
    Encourages me to try and make an MS69 myself!

• Options

@conrad99 said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

That's the thing. He chose this over this, in the same ball park.

But the Ike is what he wanted, and who are we to begrudge him his preferences? Heck, maybe he already has a cabinet full of Saints.

Possibly he had deep enough pockets he could purchase both?

Bill Gates bending over and picking up $15,000.00 in cash is akin to a person making $150.000 a year bending over to pick up a quarter.

peacockcoins

• Options

$13,500 & $4000 are still big numbers for these Ike Dollars.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2023 10:38AM

@conrad99 said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

That's the thing. He chose this over this, in the same ball park.

But the Ike is what he wanted, and who are we to begrudge him his preferences? Heck, maybe he already has a cabinet full of Saints.

Imagine thinking of it the other way around, someone chose this pop 283/573 Wire Edge over a pop 2/0 Ike!

NGC pops for the wire rim only, this is a POP 283/573 coin.

• Options
    edited March 25, 2023 8:58AM

@braddick said:
    I've been watching some Ikes and noticed these two sold today.
    Your opinion- too much or just about right (for the rarity)?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304834922616?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/285200191849?

Here are the results for posterity.

https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/6613735-004/69/

https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/6613737-006/69/

• Options
    VasantiVasanti Posts: 448 ✭✭✭✭

The registry game is so interesting. Talk about a marketing success.

• Options

@Cuprinkor said:
    $7000? $20,000??
    Encourages me to try and make an MS69 myself!

There’s certainly a good payoff!

• Options

$13,500 & $4,000 according to 130Point.

I'd be ecstatic with those prices if I was the seller.

• Options

@Cuprinkor said:

The first is over double of price guide while the second is a 50% hair cut.

• Options

@Zoins said:

@Cuprinkor said:

The first is over double of price guide while the second is a 50% hair cut.

These prices seem a lot more reasonable. The '73-S while a nice coin has more marking than I'd like to see on an MS-69.

Luster is important on silver Ikes but so is marking on high grade coins.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options

MS69 40% silver Ike's should be immaculate.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file