Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Any Good Source for 19th and early 20th Century Mexico Coins?

I am looking for a good source for above. Any ideas or experience? Looking mainly for slabbed issues.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency

Comments

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

World numismatics just listed a bunch

• Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas Please share your source? Personaliy I think World numismatics charge twice as much on lot of coins.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurboSnail said:
    @pruebas Please share your source? Personaliy I think World numismatics charge twice as much on lot of coins.

There is in fact, no source. That's why prices are so high.
    You know the old saying, "If it were easy, everyone would be doing it."

And I agree with you about that particular source.

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:

Spend a decade or so and untold thousands of dollars for advertising and travel all over the country (and world) attending shows to get your name out there. Find out who the whales are in your niche and what kinds of coins they have and need and figure out a way to get them some of those coins for their collections. And then, hopefully, get a call from them when they go to sell. Oh yeah- a pretty hefty bank account/credit line so you can buy those coins will help, too.

Piece of cake. :)

• Options

@MasonG said:

@pruebas said:

Spend a decade or so and untold thousands of dollars for advertising and travel all over the country (and world) attending shows to get your name out there. Find out who the whales are in your niche and what kinds of coins they have and need and figure out a way to get them some of those coins for their collections. And then, hopefully, get a call from them when they go to sell. Oh yeah- a pretty hefty bank account/credit line so you can buy those coins will help, too.

Piece of cake. :)

My advice to the OP. Go pound the pavement and find the coins.
    Work for your profit. I'm not about to reveal my sources for you to profit from.

• Options

@pruebas said:
    My advice to the OP. Go pound the pavement and find the coins.
    Work for your profit. I'm not about to reveal my sources for you to profit from.

It's usually people who are thinking about getting into selling after having been a collector who ask about sources, not those who claim to be established dealers.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m a source 😀

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have bought from Worldnumismatics.com Atlas, Heritage, Stack's, European auction houses, members of this group... Contrary to Morgan dollars that likely grow on trees, Mexican coins are difficult to find. I think I heard Robert Briggs once saying that there are 100 dollar Mexican coins that you can look for one decade and see none. And the majority of dealers have 10 coin at any given time.

• Options

Folks, you are not understanding. The OP is a dealer and he wants to buy nice coins CHEAP and sell HIGH. If you've been following his posts over the last year (I have), then you will know this. He isn't buying retail or retail++ from anyone, including @bidask. He thinks Mexican coins are his ticket to the good life.

For example, read some of his recent comments:
    A Mexico 19th century slabbed silver piece bought online auc $153 low pop (they gave it away) sold at show setup at $475 about 18 mo later. A similar piece bought for $65 sold from my table at show $200 (it was another low pop pick off) . Since then that source tightened process (high minimum bids) lol. You can only work a certain angle so long. Also successful on a few similar type of deals.

It’s all in the deal - find an angle in an area you like that works for you.
    and
    I am not worried about C coins. I don’t want them. Coins are PQ, Solid Quality, Average Quality (C). My focus is coins that are PQ or Solid Quality that will SELL at a good retail margin. Additionally what is ABC can be very subjective and vary between different players. This was evident on the thread on coin talk “Will it sticker.”
    and
    I lose a lot of auctions as I only pay so much and have no desire get in bid war with rich collector, many times I find nice coins buy for inventory from eBay seller less than I would have to bid at auction.

I have absolutely no problem with his business model. But why would anyone want to give him tips on how and where to buy inexpensive, high quality inventory for his business? As @MasonG so eloquently stated above, dealers spend their lives and funds cultivating this kind of clientele. Trade secret.

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 22, 2023 8:36PM

Good luck with becoming a full time Mexican coin dealer not sure it will be easy.

Collecting interests: Coins from Latin American (2020-present)

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 22, 2023 8:38PM

@Cougar1978 said:
    I am looking for a good source for above. Any ideas or experience? Looking mainly for slabbed issues.

I hope it works out for you but like I said locating coins for clients that already know were to look and know the market is not going to be easy. How many of us collect Mexican coins around the world maybe a few hundred. And as you know coins are not easy to find most of the great coins are in long term collections and not going anywhere but there are some that come up for sale every year at places like HA and Stacks.

Collecting interests: Coins from Latin American (2020-present)

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go to the USMEX coin show late October this year

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    edited March 23, 2023 9:14AM

Not too likely he'll find PQ slabbed coins at a price where he can mark them up 3x for a sale. The dealers at that show know the market for those coins better than just about anyone and aren't going to be giving away coins like that.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 23, 2023 4:19PM

I bet those dealers USMEX show do. The one I got $475 for was acquired by a dealer next to me at local show going to that USMEX show. Had tried for a long time get more but it was time let it go. Still did good with it. Perhaps he had a customer at USMEX show lined up buy it for more. It was a top pop 2/0 19th century piece felt it worth much more. Everybody works their angle.

But the party is over on auc pickoffs bc they starting at minimum close to retail on world material. Plus bidding more competitive.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency