Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Gallery: my Ancient & Medieval Coins, March 2023

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 19, 2023 3:34AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

This does not show a number of new purchases (FUN show, etc.) which are still away at NGC as of this typing. There are at least a dozen of those.

https://www.colleconline.com/en/collection-items/7627/ancient-medieval-coins

Thanks for looking and commenting, if you do.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, this is amazing! You’ve captured an extraordinary range of history with just 25 coins. The coins are beautiful and the history comes alive!

Higashiyama
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks! There are about a dozen more in the pipeline, off at NGC and in recent purchases, etc.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1086471/my-ancient-medieval-ngc-submissions-made-at-2023-fun-are-already-imaged

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

This collection might be even more impressive than your world coins. Again, both the selection and quality of the specimens leave little room for improvements.

My observations on the quality that you chose, is that you acquire examples that are far above average for their issue but not the absolute best examples which command a disproportionate price. By demanding the best available or high quality at a reasonable price, a set like this is possible to assemble. You value centering and complete legends as well as good quality metal on your Roman bronzes.

The selection is an excellent representation from the ancient world. Looking at your new purchases, you have filled in some holes (expression from my U.S. numismatic roots) for some important types. Congratulations and keep on going.

I would note that you have omitted anything from the Far East, which is fine and your choice, but I will suggest something in the way of unusual early Chinese cash or something from the vast history of India. I know little to nothing about these series but it could be rich and interesting ground for research and exploration. Or maybe not to you-just a thought.

You DO have quite a talent for assembling meaningful collections. You could be doing this for those many rich individuals that would like to own a nice coin collection but don't have the patience, time or desire to learn the small stuff acquired through years of experience and a talented eye. Most established dealers have customers like this, and surely you must have relationships with some of them. Or maybe you've already done this professionally already?

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 24, 2023 1:58PM

@sellitstore - thank you very, very much. Your detailed commentary is very much appreciated and is perhaps my favorite received in quite some time. I think you made some spot-on observations.

Until an inheritance last year, I was quite constrained by my modest hotel clerk's salary, so I had to do the best with what I had, and I did try to follow the "buy the best you can afford" dictum, even though my collection follows few other rules. I hadn't much thought about what you said- about how a lot are "far above average for their issue but not the absolute best examples which command a disproportionate price". I guess that's a good place to be, and perhaps I've got my prior poverty to thank for that. My goal has always been to have a respectable collection of coins that mere mortals can still afford.

As mentioned above, I do have about a dozen more ancients in the pipeline, at NGC right now (Athenian Owl, Tribute penny, etc, and a coin pedigreed to the John Quincy Adams collection- I had to have that because I'm supposedly a descendant.)

There is indeed a slight Western bias to my collection, and perhaps always will be, due to gaps in my knowledge, but your suggestion about the Far East is duly noted, and will likely be acted upon. A Gajapati "elephant" pagoda from India is on my short list of goals- I just keep getting shot down in my attempts to acquire one at auction. Guess I'll need to step up my game.

I have not really done this professionally, despite being friends with many numismatists who went on to become professional dealers. Aside from a brief fling with a tiny antique mall operation, I've never been a dealer myself. It is perhaps best that way, as I lack the business acumen and consistency in energy to do that. But I've sure enjoyed being a collector these last 46 years.

Thank you again.