Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

My ancient & medieval NGC submissions made at 2023 FUN are already imaged!

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 19, 2023 8:40AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

No grades yet, and this is only a portion of the stuff I submitted to NGC and PCGS at the show, but I'm tickled to be seeing the images so relatively soon, and think they look good.

This submission includes the first Athenian Owl tetradrachm I have owned in my 46 years of collecting. I recently got it, the lifetime Alexander the Great drachm (xxx-003 below), the Constantine the Great AE3 (xxx-004), and the Tiberius Tribute penny (xxx-006), at $750 for all four pieces, which I thought was a hard deal to pass up! At that price, I felt like I was buying the Owl at a fair price and getting the other three for free! Furthermore, the Owl, the Constantine, and the Alexander were all ex-NGC pieces, which came with the old slab inserts. (The previous owner, a more traditionalist collector, had cracked them out of the plastic.) I'm resubmitting them raw, so there's no guarantee they'll receive the same grades this time around, but they should do OK.

Athenian Owl tetradrachm. Ex-NGC AU.

Aspendos stater, ex-Comptoir de Monnaies. They graded it Choice AU. We'll see what NGC says.

Alexander the Great drachm, lifetime issue. Ex-NGC VF. Was included with the Owl tetradrachm, above.

Constantine the Great AE3. Ex-NGC Ch AU. Was included with the Owl tetradrachm, above.

Geta denarius. Just something I found in one of my boxes, which I had forgotten I even owned.

Tiberius "Tribute Penny". Was included with the Owl tetradrachm, above.

Year 2 Jewish War prutah. A recent, relatively inexpensive pickup at the show. My first Judaean, not counting some low-end Widow's Mites.

Caria, Rhodes drachm. I like the type.

Neapolis hemidrachm. My first gorgon type. A tiny little thing.

L. Memmius Roman Republican denarius. This one had to go in on its own submission, because of the pedigree (ex-John Quincy Adams collection). I'm supposedly a descendant of JQA and have wanted a coin with his pedigree for a long time.

1495 Frankfurt goldgulden. Only my second pre-1500 dated coin (i.e., Levinson-listed). And my first dated goldgulden. I love the funky late-medieval numerals there, not to mention the rest of it. It too had to go in under its own submission, since it's under a different tier (non-ancient, World Gold). (UPDATE: graded AU58.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

Great variety in that submission. The Athenian Owl is outstanding. The pre-1500 date pieces are quite intriguing - that Frankfurt goldgulden has a nice look to it.

• Options
    SimonWSimonW Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2023 8:44PM

Dude! I just paid $528 for a owl, yours is much nicer! You didn’t get a great deal, you got a crazy great deal!!!

This is XF

I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow - those pictures are much improved compared to prior NGC efforts.

That's a neat group. I also like the medieval gold.

Thanks for sharing.

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭

Very good looking photos. NGC capture them nicely.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shockingly good pictures as theirs have previously been abysmal. I like the legend on the reverse of the Constantine; also, looks like some die adjustment with ??filemarks around the lips and philtrum on the Athenian. The Neapolis is perhaps my favourite.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gorgeous coins, photos and WHAT A DEAL!
    I love them! Especially the Owl tetradrachm- which is nicer than my recent aquisition as well!
    Congratulations!

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice photos. Do you have to pay extra to get such nice photos?

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

CONGRATS on super-fast service at NGC. I am seriously envious. My single coin submission at PCGS is in the imaging stage too, where it's been for about two weeks. But, of course, it's been almost five months that PCGS has had my order.

When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2023 10:27AM

@jt88 said:
    Very nice photos. Do you have to pay extra to get such nice photos?

Yes.

And given my past experience, one need not waste their time and money on NGC's cheaper "Internet Imaged" photo option, which now costs $5/coin. The resulting images are trash- or at least were, back when I used it, when it cost $3/coin. It wasn't even worth that much. I could have done better with my 1990s flatbed scanner.

This is the slightly more expensive "Photovision" option, which costs $8/coin, though unlike the cheaper option, it is actually worth the added expense, in my opinion.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lordmarcovan said:
    it is actually worth the added expense, in my opinion.

Agreed, outstanding coins and photos.

• Options
    BSmithBSmith Posts: 141 ✭✭✭

Nice coins and images. I hope you do well with the grades.

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 851 ✭✭✭✭

I like how you collect coins

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

They look great, Rob!

• Options

The 1495 Frankfurt goldgulden is graded and on the way back.

Pleasant surprise! AU58!

I was expecting XF40-45, and just crossing my fingers that it would straight-grade. It did! :)

https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/6680046-001/58/

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's beautiful. Funny how they wrote a 4 over 500 years ago!

When in doubt, don't.
  • Options

@DennisH said:
    That's beautiful. Funny how they wrote a 4 over 500 years ago!

Those quirky date numerals were a major selling point for me on that coin.