Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

(1856) JC FREMONT 1000 / EAGLE-1080 kpb (R-5)

ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't been buying lately, but recently traded a few items worth about $10 to a guy for a box of exonumia. Most of the box contained heavily corroded French and German Notgeld's, but every once in a while, one gets lucky in a junk box.

The damage / hole is unfortunate, but In that box I found a DeWitt JF 1856-(?) political token. I know it is not an "1856-9" or "1856-10". I'm just trying to better nail down the attribution of this one.

Also looking to see if y'all think it is "desirable" or "dreck" . . . . .

One reference has similar listed as "anti-slavery" tokens, (hence the "Free Soil / Free Men / Free Speech" references) which makes it all the more interesting in my thinking.

I was able to find these images online, from what I believe if Fauver's book.

I was hoping to look this up on PCGS or elsewhere to see if any of these have been certified, but I think I need the correct DeWitt catalog number to find it.

Thanks in advance.

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

Comments

• Options
    RLSnapperRLSnapper Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a pic of the listing to see the match. 1856 John Fremont Presidential Campaign Token, Dewitt JF 1856-8.

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RLSnapper said:
    Here's a pic of the listing to see the match. 1856 John Fremont Presidential Campaign Token, Dewitt JF 1856-8.

Awesome! Much appreciated!

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Junk boxes can produce some surprises... Sort of like roll hunting in a box :D;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    tokenprotokenpro Posts: 847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dewitt-Sullivan JF 1856-8 is the correct catalog number from the standard reference for political tokens. There is a similar piece (JF 1856-9) that omits the Free Speech Free Men legend on the reverse. These were struck in Waterbury, Connecticut by Scovill and were issued with and without holes. The standard use during a campaign was to tie the token to your lapel with a ribbon. The OP piece above was probably issued unholed and has an attempted hole at 12 o'clock, then a rough hole at 6 o'clock. The second piece above either was also originally unholed or has an expanded hole. There are two other varieties of this basic token as well.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file