Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Would you submit for grading this Washington Quarter with multiple large die cracks on both sides?

heavymetalheavymetal Posts: 570 ✭✭✭✭

Die Cracks are across the obverse head and neck bottom as well as the reverse eagle wings and eagle's head.

Comments

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the die cracks but wonder if it's cost effective...unless you really just want it in a holder.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice die crack, but for me, I would not submit that one as the certification cost is more than the coin is worth.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, I would not submit that coin for certification. WQs are one of my niche areas and, aside from the die crack by the date, these are common areas to find die cracks on WQs.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn’t. The cost of grading is probably greater than the value of the coin and I doubt that the die cracks add any meaningful value.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

It needs to grade a MS66 to break even - if you have extra money, you could send some to me :)

of course if there is some sentimental attachment to that quarter, it would change my view

• Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with @telephoto1 - it would cost at a minimum $23 plus the shipping to get it graded. It would need to grade MS65 or higher, just to break even on costs, which it won't. But if you want to grade it to protect it and perhaps have a TrueView image done, there's nothing wrong with that.

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

Short answer: NO.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not, but as others have said, it is your choice should their be sentimental reasons unknown to us.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

No die cracks while interesting add no value to a coin like this, but it is your money so your choice.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    heavymetalheavymetal Posts: 570 ✭✭✭✭

Thank-you everyone, for your opinions on this coin. HM

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with the consensus... Not worth grading, but a good coin for an album or self-slab. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice abnormality but no, as to your question.
    :)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since Die cracks are not really errors, no I would not submit it. Die cracks are just die deterioration.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file