Home U.S. Coin Forum

I KNOW, I KNOW - Don't Buy A Details Coin...BUT

Shane6596Shane6596 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 16, 2023 7:09PM in U.S. Coin Forum

For 30bux i figured i would dip my toe into the IHC area. I spent more on a steak dinner last weekend.

Successful BST transactions with....Coinslave87, ChrisH821, Walkerguy21D, SanctionII.......................Received "You Suck" award 02/18/23

Comments

• raysrays Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where’s the graffiti, and the detail seems VF to me.

• skier07skier07 Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 16, 2023 8:01PM

For $30 buy whatever makes you happy. If I was going to buy a details coin I would buy one with positive eye appeal. The reverse is a big negative.

• dhikewhitneydhikewhitney Posts: 359 ✭✭✭

Did you buy it for the attribution ? PCGS price guide lists F15 at $18 and one could reasonably hope for a discount from list price for a problem free specimen.

• U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rays said:
    Where’s the graffiti, and the detail seems VF to me.

It looks like there is an "X" in the field:

• U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Shane6596 said:
    I love the reverse. Its what drew me in. Everybody has a different idea of what looks good, and thats ok.

If you like it and knew what you were buying (sounds like you did), then it seems like a fine buy to me.
    The reverse does have the woodgrain look that some people like while others don't.

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not so much "Don't buy details coins" as "Don't talk yourself into buying a details coin." If the cleaning, graffiti, whatever doesn't bother you, or if the coin is sufficiently rare that you'd never have a chance at a problem free example, then go ahead and buy the details coin. Never, ever buy a details coin because it's cheap. You'll inevitably find it wasn't cheap enough. If you like it, that's fine, or if you buy it because you never thought you'd be able to buy a John Adams dollar with edge lettering position B, go for it.

• 1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS grades the wood grain a little tougher than usual IMHO. If you like the coin that's all that matters.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • IndianlincolnIndianlincoln Posts: 91 ✭✭✭

I would have done a big pass

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love that improper alloy mix rev. Ya did good.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

If your happy and you like it, love your coin.... (sounds like a song)... ;):D Cheers, RickO

• The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 834 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buy what makes you happy. I recently picked up an 1855 trime with some problems but it was $30.00 and it was my first time seeing that date in person.

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will you still be happy you bought the coin when one day you find a much better one at a manageable price? Because these coins are not rare, and that day will certainly come.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Shane6596Shane6596 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Namvet69 said:
    Love that improper alloy mix rev. Ya did good.

Yes sir, thats what caught my eye.

Im looking at a couple lincoln cents with that look. I like it.

Successful BST transactions with....Coinslave87, ChrisH821, Walkerguy21D, SanctionII.......................Received "You Suck" award 02/18/23

• JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would have bought another steak dinner

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see nothing wrong with this coin's woodgrain look. I also like the S-1 variety. Rick Snow gave it a 3 star rating. Also, it is not a bad strike for an 83 considering the wear. I long ago broke myself of disregarding details coins. I now only consider if the damage is detrimental to owning a coin that is easily available for price I can afford without details grade and how the coin overall look suits me with the details reason. JMO
    Great purchase.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

What I'm wondering is why this coin was submitted in the first place...?

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

Respectfully, I believe @MFeld 's advice practicing patience is not one you are following. It's hard to not get distracted and to save money for quality.

Through expensive tuition, I've learned over time to avoid "but for" coins for my collection. YMMV.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Shane6596Shane6596 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Catbert said:
    Respectfully, I believe @MFeld 's advice practicing patience is not one you are following. It's hard to not get distracted and to save money for quality.

Through expensive tuition, I've learned over time to avoid "but for" coins for my collection. YMMV.

So everyone here has a pristine collection of just premium coins, no subpar ones at all?

I should have no coins like this in my collection? I dont understand? I like the coin.

Im going to be putting together a higher end type set, thats on the back burner for now.

The money side of it, well, i have disposable income. Ive had a successful business for the last 12yrs. I started a thread about putting together a better type set and was told to do more research before dropping thousands on a coin. I agreed and put that on hold.

Since then i have been buying "cheaper" coins that i like that i can study in hand when im home. Unfortunately i dont have time to goto coin shops or shows to study coins as im on the road 5-6 days a week.

Its not breaking the bank, me buying these coins. I like them and when i get bored with them or start a better set, i will probably give some away here and to my family that are interested. I wont be selling any, i just buy.

Anyway, i hope that kinda clears up why im buying what i am currently.

• HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are plenty of details coins out there that are collectible for the right price. I have one details coin in my US type set, I bought it because it was cheap, and I’m confident that I can easily sell it at my cost, adjusted for inflation, if I were so inclined.

Higashiyama
  • oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are details and then there are details. I recently bought an 8 escudo coin, details damaged, for my "foreign types that were used in the USA pre-1857" set. It is AU with a very small private countermark (triangle) punched into the reverse. To me the countermark adds to the interest and is a subject of research. And, it's a beautiful coin. About the same time I also bought a details, saltwater damaged, ducaton silver rider, with a shipwreck provenance, which also triggered some interesting research. I have many more examples in my collection, but I do draw the line at tooled, cleaned, coins that have been intentionally messed with to "improve" the coin. Honest damage to me is no worse that honest wear. The IHC above looks ok to me.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 17, 2023 12:34PM

Some times it's hard to find just the right one, I'm glad you found yours.

• coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oldabeintx said:
    There are details and then there are details. I recently bought an 8 escudo coin, details damaged, for my "foreign types that were used in the USA pre-1857" set. It is AU with a very small private countermark (triangle) punched into the reverse. To me the countermark adds to the interest and is a subject of research. And, it's a beautiful coin. About the same time I also bought a details, saltwater damaged, ducaton silver rider, with a shipwreck provenance, which also triggered some interesting research. I have many more examples in my collection, but I do draw the line at tooled, cleaned, coins that have been intentionally messed with to "improve" the coin. Honest damage to me is no worse that honest wear. The IHC above looks ok to me.

Good point. Although I do not seek out details coins, and never bot a details holder, I have bot them since I bot hundreds of raw Morgans and Peace $s in the past. I also agree there is a big difference between honest, unintentional damage from wear, i.e. rims dings & circulation scratches vs. intentional details - over-dipped cleanings and scrubbed hairlines. Unless $ is no object, we all have our thresholds of what is acceptable and available. I can live with my few details coins and enjoy such in my albums.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file