Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Super Fun USPI Find

RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭

A very exciting piece.

Comments

• Options
    RLSnapperRLSnapper Posts: 522 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just brought big $$$ at the HA auction tonight....were you the lucky winner?

• Options
    edited March 15, 2023 7:45PM

Yes. I do feel very lucky.
    Midweek auction.

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

How scarce are these in the USPI Peso series in your experience? I would expect them to be very rare.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is very cool!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,699 ✭✭✭✭✭

‘’Just brought big $$$ at the HA auction tonight....were you the lucky winner?’’

It appears that OC Mint State Pesos are about 50x-100x rarer than the OC Morgan Dollar counterparts produced at the same US Mints at the same period of time. In fact, over the 30 or 40 years of reported auction sales at Heritage and Stacks combined, the Mint State OC Peso sold tonight was THE FIRST EVER MINT STATE EXAMPLE OF AN OC USPI PESO!! The only other OC USPI Peso ever auctioned at the two major auction houses was at Stacks about 4 years ago- a circulated 1903 specimen from the famous Ray Czahor collection that graded AU55 at NGC and was only 10% OC. That’s how rare the coin is that sold tonight at Heritage.

Justhavingfun NEVER was able to secure for his incredible MS Peso collection a single OC Peso in either MS or circulated condition as far as I know and his collection of error USPI coins (that I handled the sale of) was amazing! I have no doubt that if the MS Peso OC coin had come up for auction pre-November 2018 (RIP JHF) that JHF (through his agent) would have Not put his paddle down under $50,000!! What a difference one collector can make on a series of coins.

Just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@wondercoin said:
    ‘’Just brought big $$$ at the HA auction tonight....were you the lucky winner?’’

It appears that OC Mint State Pesos are about 50x-100x rarer than the OC Morgan Dollar counterparts produced at the same US Mints at the same period of time. In fact, over the 30 or 40 years of reported auction sales at Heritage and Stacks combined, the Mint State OC Peso sold tonight was THE FIRST EVER MINT STATE EXAMPLE OF AN OC USPI PESO!! The only other OC USPI Peso ever auctioned at the two major auction houses was at Stacks about 4 years ago- a circulated 1903 specimen from the famous Ray Czahor collection that graded AU55 at NGC and was only 10% OC. That’s how rare the coin is that sold tonight at Heritage.

Justhavingfun NEVER was able to secure for his incredible MS Peso collection a single OC Peso in either MS or circulated condition as far as I know and his collection of error USPI coins (that I handled the sale of) was amazing! I have no doubt that if the MS Peso OC coin had come up for auction pre-November 2018 (RIP JHF) that JHF (through his agent) would have Not put his paddle down under $50,000!! What a difference one collector can make on a series of coins.

Just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin

Wow!

• Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

Major U.S. error collectors would want this coin. Very cool.

• Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the OC information @wondercoin... Not being an error collector, that background puts the price in perspective. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Timing is everything when it comes to adding a coin like this to your collection. Also it helps when it's in an obscure midweek auction!

• Options

Here are all the off-center Morgans sold at Heritage during the past year.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really nice off center. I find the US struck Phillipine coinage to be some of the most appealing designs out there. Both obverse and reverse.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    kruegerkrueger Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

I was there when RAY CZAHOR bought his 10% peso off center for as I remember $1000.
    I as a fool passed on it first.
    Krueger

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,699 ✭✭✭✭✭

Krueger- did you know much of the history on this 15% OC specimen?

Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file