Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Mixing Proof and Mint State coins in Set Registry Year sets.

DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

Right now the Set Registry provides Year sets for Mint State and for Proof coins. Proofs and Mint State coins are not mixed. The Mint State sets includes all mints. Should the Set Registry be expanded to allow a mix of Proof and Mint State coins? An example is a 1909 Year set would include a single Indian head and a single Lincoln penny in either MS or PF.

Mixing Proof and Mint State coins in Set Registry Year sets.

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,774 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Proofs and Mint State coins should not be mixed in a year set.

I think it is correct the way it is. However, I do not use the registry system much at all except as a digital inventory backup to my spreadsheet, so either way makes no difference to me.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe for type sets but I don’t agree that they should mix them for the year sets.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

I voted to not mix them, but I still would probably like looking at a set that had them mixed so I’m not that strict with my preference. In other words, just a slight preference not to mix them.

Mr_Spud

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mix them if you want. Why do you need a registry to validate your collecting?

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

It's just fun to see sets come together on-line. Can't go to the safe deposit box everyday. : )

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DisneyFan said:

@jmlanzaf said:

It's just fun to see sets come together on-line. Can't go to the safe deposit box everyday. : )

I understand that. The problem is, everyone has a different way of collecting. You can't have as many registry sets as there are assets, especially if points are involved. For modern sets, a Proof 69 would have to be worth less than an MS68, maybe even a 67. For 19th century sets, the proof would be worth far more. So as soon as you relaxed the rules for inclusion, people would start threads complaining about the relative value.

There is no agreement on what belongs in most sets. Besides the proof/ business strike issue, there are the varieties, minor types, weight/ composition changes.

• Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see an issue mixing them in your personal set, but in an official Registry set, PCGS has it set up correctly - to keep business strikes and proofs separated.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

For registry sets, follow the rules... For your collection, you make the rules. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file