Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A Nice Payday in My Bank Boxes This Week

MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

I get two half dollar boxes from my bank each week and it's been a trickle so far this year. But today:
31 40% silver coins, including three Proofs. In addition, there was this:
That's right, 18 90% silver coins with seven Proofs. The nicest surprise was the 1911-S.

Comments

• Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

Proofs are shocking to see in the mix, and a Barber half and Walker? Dan is right, some youngster took them right to the bank after grandpa died, most likely. Sad. Good for you though!

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations,

@DeplorableDan said:
    Nice score, Looks like someone dumped grandpop’s collection without any second thoughts.

For that many to end up in 2 random boxes........................an awful lot of coins must have been dumped from a collection at one time , JMO
    boston

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like 👍

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fabulous! Love the instant collection!!!!!!!

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a heck of a score and, as others have mentioned, this was likely either a collection someone stole and dumped or one that was inherited and dumped. Either way, it is sad, but at least you found many of them.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW! Great finds. I guess the bad economy has an upside after all.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jackpot!

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bet your heart skipped a few beats with those! Congrats!!👍🏻

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great score!

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations. Couldn't happened to a better guy!
    B)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Finding any Barber Half is very unusual!

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dsessom said:
    Proofs are shocking to see in the mix, and a Barber half and Walker? Dan is right, some youngster took them right to the bank after grandpa died, most likely. Sad. Good for you though!

I came across one of those situations once where ALL of the cents in the cash register were pre-1930 Lincoln cents. Unfortunately, I was living in Homestead, FL at the time, and the convenience store clerk couldn't understand any English to arrange a coin swap. It was really frustrating.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is an incredible win!
    Though I am sure you went through many, many boxes over the last few months to score this big.
    Perseverance pays off. Congrats

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

:o WOW!! Incredible.... Congratulations on such a lucky find. I hope you went right back and asked if they had any more.... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options

Bunches like bananas. If you find a good score, there's a decent chance that there will be more soon. I'm really anxious to see what's in next Wednesday's boxes.

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

A barber half?!?! Way to go.

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 16, 2023 10:01AM

Collection dumps are great for the finder but its sad to see someone dump all this into circulation. The biggest reason why I kind of have a criticism of modern silver proof sets, why make silver dimes/quarters etc for the vast majority of them to be worth melt or be thrown into circulation as a collection dump anyway. I know Silver dollars and eagles make their way, but more sparingly.

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats! I remember finding a barber half once during roll searching.

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

@olympicsos said:
    Collection dumps are great for the finder but its sad to see someone dump all this into circulation. The biggest reason why I kind of have a criticism of modern silver proof sets, why make silver dimes/quarters etc for the vast majority of them to be worth melt or be thrown into circulation as a collection dump anyway. I know Silver dollars and eagles make their way, but more sparingly.

I search coins daily-mostly quarters and half dollars and pennies, but I do search dimes and nickels and even dollar coins sometimes. You are incorrect when you say that silver proof dimes and quarters are thrown into circulation. I have never found any silver proof coins in circulation. Not one. But maybe tomorrow-tomorrow is another day.

• Options

@MarkKelley said:
    I get two half dollar boxes from my bank each week and it's been a trickle so far this year. But today:
    31 40% silver coins, including three Proofs. In addition, there was this:
    That's right, 18 90% silver coins with seven Proofs. The nicest surprise was the 1911-S.

Quickly run back to the bank where you got them, there may be a sister box awaiting you!

• Options

@rec78 said:

I search coins daily-mostly quarters and half dollars and pennies, but I do search dimes and nickels and even dollar coins sometimes. You are incorrect when you say that silver proof dimes and quarters are thrown into circulation. I have never found any silver proof coins in circulation. Not one. But maybe tomorrow-tomorrow is another day.

Look at my photos again. I found ten yesterday. And this isn't the first time.

• Options
    edited March 16, 2023 1:31PM

Read my post again. And show me the SILVER proof dimes and quarters that you found in circulation. I am not denying that those halves may be silver. Good for you. I am saying that I have found none and the SILVER proof dimes and quarters are usually not thrown into circulation. I have found may proofs but no SILVER proofs. And like I said earlier-I would run back to that bank and try to get a sister box.

• Options
    olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

@rec78 said:

@olympicsos said:

They're in the wild:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CRH/comments/8epeyb/coinstar_find_2005_state_quarter_silver_proof/

• Options
    GooberGoober Posts: 980 ✭✭✭

I received a silver proof quarter two years at a coffee stand back in change. I felt like I had won the lotto. I miss the days of retail when I worked in a cash room. I would always be listening for that distinct ting of silver.

Prost!

Why step over the dollar to get to the cent? Because it's a 55DDO.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file