Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2023 Congratulations Set still in stock

Comments

• Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will not be buying one as it is the exact same coin as the one in the proof package, and I have one of those.

• Options
    BearlyHereBearlyHere Posts: 261 ✭✭✭✭

If it is graded as CS, the 40k limit increases the value considerably.

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

A simple check of eBay reveals that the congratulations set slabs commands a fairly good premium over regular issue definitely not every year has large premiums but some seem very high.

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    A simple check of eBay reveals that the congratulations set slabs commands a fairly good premium over regular issue definitely not every year has large premiums but some seem very high.

Some years it had a coin not available elsewhere.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Jzyskowski1 said:

Some years it had a coin not available elsewhere.

Correct, 2017 had an S mint mark. That's what popularized them. They have to be graded in the mint packaging that has not been opened to get the CS designation. I found that out the hard way last year.

• Options

Well now. Looks like we have a situation here. These are available and the single W proofs are as well 🧐
    Either the mint grossly over estimated the demand for congratulations sets and the individual W proofs or there’s a shift in the market or both.
    Or is it…….? 🙃

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not buying one this year.... Have purchased a couple in past years. Forget which years, will have to look next time I am in the safe. Not a dealer or flipper, so will just use funds for something else. ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

These coins have been available for two weeks and are still in stock, and people consider that a failure? Aside from the absurd markup, I'd call it a success.

Some people have gotten so used to instant sellouts and flipping opportunities that they've lost sight of the idea that the mint traditionally made coins so people who wanted them could buy them. Coin issues were often available for several months until year end.

I'm OK with the proof SEs lasting weeks instead of hours. :)

• Options

@JBK said:
    These coins have been available for two weeks and are still in stock, and people consider that a failure? Aside from the absurd markup, I'd call it a success.

Some people have gotten so used to instant sellouts and flipping opportunities that they've lost sight of the idea that the mint traditionally made coins so people who wanted them could buy them. Coin issues were often available for several months until year end.

I'm OK with the proof SEs lasting weeks instead of hours. :)

I don't consider it either a success or failure. Depends on who you are and why you buy them or sell them. BUT, if the Mint has struck them all, they certainly prefer a quick sellout. And if you have any interest in the future value of these, there is no chance if demand doesn't outstrip supply.

• Options

Guys, again, these went unavailable the week they debuted. Most prolly thought they were sold out and gave up. I happened to stumble across them late last week. 9700 left now.

• Options

@BearlyHere said:
    Guys, again, these went unavailable the week they debuted. Most prolly thought they were sold out and gave up. I happened to stumble across them late last week. 9700 left now.

Unavailable has never meant sold out.

• Options
    NJCoinNJCoin Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BearlyHere said:

Not so much. Most motivated people who know enough to know when things go on sale know that items often pop up after they go unavailable, due to credit card rejections and people exceeding initial HHLs, etc.

In this case, a large number came back almost immediately. Likely from a large reseller who had second thoughts due to whatever they saw in the wholesale market.

It's not the end of the world. It's a popular product that was meant to be used throughout the year to celebrate special occasions. Not really to sell out in 10 minutes and then to be resold with a special TPG label at 4x the issue price.

Fewer than 10K will likely be gone well before the end of the year. It's 10K out of a mintage of several hundred thousand.

• Options
    smuglrsmuglr Posts: 407 ✭✭✭
    edited March 16, 2023 9:58PM

It's 10K out of a mintage of several hundred thousand.

If we're talking Congratulations Set, for those that draw the distintion, probably wanting the tpg label, it's 10K out of a product limit of 40K.

• Options

Well now here we are and the congratulations set is available and dang🙃

• Options
    OLCOLC Posts: 394 ✭✭✭

How many are left

• Options

Too many 😂🙀

• Options

How many is too many

• Options
    NJCoinNJCoin Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

@smuglr said:

It's 10K out of a mintage of several hundred thousand.

If we're talking Congratulations Set, for those that draw the distintion, probably wanting the tpg label, it's 10K out of a product limit of 40K.

Yes, I know. But it's still a tiny subset of the total mintage.

10K is not a lot of ASEs. So, label chasers have gotten their fill, and now 10K people will actually be able to use the product for its intended purpose?

What's the issue? That labels are not going to carry a $150 premium? Good, because they never should have in the first place. The coin is, was, and always has been just another proof ASE, unless it had a mintmark unavailable elsewhere.

• Options

Did we lose the ability to check remaining inventory on mints website? Is there a new way to check?

• Options
    johntjohnt Posts: 44 ✭✭✭

8910 left. type in......availablecount instead of the old....data.available.

• Options

@johnt said:
    8910 left. type in......availablecount instead of the old....data.available.

Thanks!

• Options

Ofcourse they are available 🤨

• Options

Very interesting
    Still available This is probably a first. Rather unbelievable 🤨

• Options

Nah. Couple months later and still available. Now that’s amazing. It’s the low mintage congratulations set for ding a dee dang dong, sakes 😗
    Just never happened before. This guy always goes quick. Looks like I picked another winner to start collecting 😂😂😂

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

The hype around ASE's was successfully killed off by mint inconsistencies and shenanigans. Gonna take some actually rare ASE's to get it kick started again.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file