Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is this the error 1988 d dime??

Can u guys check this dime out and c if i got something

Answers

• lcutlerlcutler Posts: 496 ✭✭✭✭

What are you seeing as an error?

• There is a dot on the p in plurbis. Same word the r and a couple other otters are doubled an what seems to b repunched mint mark. Are those not errors?? Serious question... Let me know.. Still fairly new to the game.

I'm mostly seeing circulation damage, I can't say if it is damage or a die chip on the P. The mintmark looks normal to me. Not really seeing any errors.

• dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's pretty apparent that he is searching pocket change in search of errors, probably to try to make a little money. Nothing wrong with that, but might be better off buying lottery tickets.

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dsessom said:
    It's pretty apparent that he is searching pocket change in search of errors, probably to try to make a little money. Nothing wrong with that, but might be better off buying lottery tickets.

There's a Facebook group dedicated to that. On one hand, they need all the help they can get understanding what they're looking at. On the other hand, it's a tiresome flurry phone pictures of the screen of their new microscope showing parking lot "errors" and the like while admitting they know nothing about coins such that one would think they're beyond being helped.

@dsessom said:

I always tell people you'd make more picking aluminum cans along the road. You never know, though you might hit something good. Of course, there is always the chance of finding something good while picking cans along the road!

• dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

I imagine that searching your pocket change was the genesis of our hobby, and there is nothing wrong with that at all. Some people really enjoy roll searching, and pocket change searches. I have done some roll searching in the past, but find it far too tedious these days.

Now days, I mostly just buy graded coins. I guess I'm a lazy numismatist. :D

edited March 14, 2023 1:16PM

Some of the wide and close AM varieties are regularly found coin hunting. That area may be the most likely to be worthwhile. I have hardly looked at change in years, of course I mostly collect colonials and the odds of finding one of those in circulation is mighty slim!

• FrazFraz Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 15, 2023 3:53AM

Welcome. Read threads. While you read threads, buy up rolls of coins and figure out how you will process them. If you look at them before you understand them, you will have to look through them again, and again. Processing involves storage before and after. Storage involves how many coins you plan to keep and that depends on what you plan to do, sell, collect, or both. Welcome is genuine; replies above are written in earnest.
    This is where you can exchange with the professionals and the masters of numismatics if you make efforts to learn how to present your query.
    Good luck.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cruzsr85... No repunched mm.... mostly just wear and PMD... Not sure about the 'dot' on the P, pictures are blurry. No numismatic premium for that coin. Good luck in your searches. Cheers, RickO

• Cruzsr85Cruzsr85 Posts: 50
    edited March 16, 2023 7:29AM

Some of u guys are some really cool people and i thank u for the constructive criticism. And the rest of u with ur can jokes and pocket change can go ********* . U act like u are better and were born with this gift of coin searching. We all started from somewhere. And don't answer my question and look at my pics. Once again to the rest of u that have helpful answers thank u..

edited March 16, 2023 1:33AM

What's with that? I made no joke, criticism, or anything of the sort. I did my best to answer your question, and did so in a respectful manner. There is not a thing wrong with coin searching and I never said there was. It is a great past time and can be very enjoyable. You never mentioned trying to make money by coin searching and my comment was in response to another member's comment about coin searching not being a good way to make money. I agree with that, it is highly unlikely to make money doing so, it is a hobby not a money maker.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cruzsr85 said:
    Some of u guys are some really cool people and i thank u for the constructive criticism. And the rest of u with ur can jokes and pocket change can go f#ck yourselves truly. U act like u are better and were born with this gift of coin searching. We all started from somewhere. And don't answer my question and look at my pics. Once again to the rest of u that have helpful answers thank u..

Your profanity isn't welcome or allowed here.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 16, 2023 3:11AM

@dsessom said:
    I imagine that searching your pocket change was the genesis of our hobby, and there is nothing wrong with that at all. Some people really enjoy roll searching, and pocket change searches. I have done some roll searching in the past, but find it far too tedious these days.

Now days, I mostly just buy graded coins. I guess I'm a lazy numismatist. :D

Would you go searching for orchids if you didn't know what they looked like?

There's nothing wrong with roll searching. That should start AFTER studying coins and minting not before.

• FrazFraz Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cruzsr85 said:
    Some of u guys are some really cool people and i thank u for the constructive criticism. And the rest of u with ur can jokes and pocket change can go fuck yourselves truly. U act like u are better and were born with this gift of coin searching. We all started from somewhere. And don't answer my question and look at my pics. Once again to the rest of u that have helpful answers thank u.

It’s too soon to do this again. Can you wait to cuss more? I’m tired from hogtying wheelguy93 all weekend. The guys at NGC are nice if you are not satisfied with the supposed-to-be-experts that claim that you are wrong. Did my welcome make you so comfortable that you wrote this?

• Shane6596Shane6596 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭✭✭

I feel the OP's stress. When i started roll searching i knew nothing and posted some pics here. You guys corrected me, and told me to get some books, so i did.

Then my "is this an error" posts dropped to almost none. My pile of "error" coins went from 100 to 1.

The books were an eye opener on what truly errors are. So i suggest to get some books on error coins.

The guys here are good, and after being here awhile i can see how it gets tiring for them answering the same "No its not an error" to so many new hobbiests. Sometimes they may have a bad day and let a snarky reply slip out.

My roll searching has dropped signifigantly as there really isnt alot of money in small die chips or other common issues. Ill search once a week for an hour just to see if i find something that really stands out without using a microscope.

I hope you stick with it, just needs patience and alot of research. If you post here again and see a negative response, just keep scrolling past it. Someone in the thread will give you a positive response, even if its a "no its not an error"

Good luck. Have fun

Successful BST transactions with....Coinslave87, ChrisH821, Walkerguy21D, SanctionII.......................Received "You Suck" award 02/18/23

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file