Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Horrible appraisal on ATR

A woman brought in 3 Jordan cards that her son purchased in 1986 or so. She wasn’t specific but said his limit was $20 a week.
1986 Jordan rookie
1986 Jordan sticker
1987 Jordan All the cards were in screw down holders and without close ups I guessed the ‘86 was in the 6-7 condition. The Sticker was off center and at best a 7. The 87 looked nice but…
The so called expert estimated the value at $40k-$50k.
Imagine her surprise when she sends them in for grading, thinking these will pay off her house when the net worth is close to $5-6k. I’m probably not the only one yelling at the TV calling BS.

W.C.Fields
"I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

Comments

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:
    A woman brought in 3 Jordan cards that her son purchased in 1986 or so. She wasn’t specific but said his limit was $20 a week.
    1986 Jordan rookie
    1986 Jordan sticker
    1987 Jordan All the cards were in screw down holders and without close ups I guessed the ‘86 was in the 6-7 condition. The Sticker was off center and at best a 7. The 87 looked nice but…
    Imagine her surprise when she sends them in for grading, thinking these will pay off her house when the net worth is close to $5-6k. I’m probably not the only one yelling at the TV calling BS.

When was the episode taped?

It’s not a card I follow closely but I know it has gone crazy a few different times over the last 5 years or so…

…plus things get overstated for dramatic purposes on reality TV all the time. Every network, every opportunity they get.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

Saw that. No mention of counterfeit possibility. Damage from holder. Ect
    A few years ago, a lady had a great assortment of 1950's and all the top(ps) cards.
    The expert was looking at 54 banks and Aaron and the 55 Killer, Clemente and Koufax and said, "too bad you don't have the 54 and 55 Mantles here.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wouldn't it be AR?

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭✭

was probably taped in April 2021!!

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RufussCkingston said:
    was probably taped in April 2021!!

New episode last night.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 14, 2023 10:56AM

@2dueces said:
    1986 Jordan rookie
    1986 Jordan sticker

I agree. Even if you were generous on the grades, the RC #57 has 3 corner creases! This appraiser clearly had no idea what these cards in mid-grade or less go for.
    https://youtu.be/GP8wExVwNY4?t=2843

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭

@secretstash said:

@2dueces said:
    1986 Jordan rookie
    1986 Jordan sticker

I agree. Even if you were generous on the grades, the RC #57 has 3 corner creases! This appraiser clearly had no idea what these cards in mid-grade or less go for.
    https://youtu.be/GP8wExVwNY4?t=2843

(Starts at 47:20 for Jordan cards)

That Jordan Rookie has major corner ding.
    Usually when the appraisers give a dollar figure "for insurance purposes", it is much more than street value, but this one was not even close.

@2dueces said:
    1986 Jordan rookie
    1986 Jordan sticker

The Jordan Rookie would be lucky to get a 4.
    I was always amazed of some of the appraisals given to items I had no idea of the value.
    Then I started seeing their appraisals of things I DID know the value, and that really made me question all the others.
    There is another appraiser on AR, Leila Dunbar, I've seen give crazy high numbers.

• Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Complete garbage appraisal. 1986 Fleer Jordan #57 PSA 4 goes around 3k and that is being generous here.