W Quarters?

ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could these be W quarters?
Could PCGS tell by die markers?

Comments

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 13, 2023 7:24PM

I'm going with maybe but probably not all W's.
    They don't all have that W look to me...often nice thick looking rims.
    The edge is often a giveaway before we even pull the W out of the roll...a more "intense" and defined edge than the non W's.
    ...Did you do that to them lol? :p

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options
    NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 13, 2023 7:22PM

Reminds me of the time I saw a "full set of dateless buffalo nickels" at a coin show. :D

edit note - I love that you drilled out where the V-75 would be on the 2020 coins. Slick.

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice clean holes. I'll say drill press.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

@DeplorableDan said:
    Im calling the cops on you, mister.

I found them like this roll searching. ;)

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

This popped into my mind;

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1aHtJZXqgU4

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's beautiful thing to be American ✌️

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:
    Best aiming I've seen! .223 or .556?

bob :)

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking none are.

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 14, 2023 4:42AM

Aren’t those calibers the same? 🙃
    One US and the other Nato Yup

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't use a .556 in a .223 weapon. Opposite ok.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 14, 2023 10:50AM

@ifthevamzarockin said:

@DeplorableDan said:

What would be the reason someone would do that?

No doubt the holes were intentionally placed at those locations.

Somebody has WAY too much time on their hands.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BuffaloIronTail said:

@ifthevamzarockin said:

@DeplorableDan said:

What would be the reason someone would do that?

No doubt the holes were intentionally place at those locations.

Somebody has WAY too much time on their hands.

Pete

The "somebody" is the OP. He's kidding about the roll search.

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NeophyteNumismatist said:
    Reminds me of the time I saw a "full set of dateless buffalo nickels" at a coin show. :D

edit note - I love that you drilled out where the V-75 would be on the 2020 coins. Slick.

Slicker if he makes us think that he removed a V-75 that isn’t there.

• Options

well, I am not sure we have achieved THAT level of slickness! :p

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• Options
    MartinMartin Posts: 834 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ifthevamzarockin I’ll give you 20 cents apiece for them. You pay shipping

Martin

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭✭

• Options

@OAKSTAR - these sets look VERY familiar. Would you happen to be tj96 ATS?

• Options

Those were some great days ! I bought a new car with these coins. I remember getting a hundred dollars for a single coin when they first came out.

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    Could these be W quarters?
    Could PCGS tell by die markers?

Such a waste of time and money but thank you for promoting the W quarters program!😂🤣

• Options

@tommyrusty7 said:
    Those were some great days ! I bought a new car with these coins. I remember getting a hundred dollars for a single coin when they first came out.

Hey there my friend! I agree it was a great run! Still more valuable than silver quarters!😎

• Options

@OAKSTAR said:
    Come on Tommy. I know you can do better then that! 😂 🤣 👍🏻

Beautiful sets my friend! 😎

• Options

@ricko said:
    :o Oh the horror.... :D Nah... I just know they were not W's... Done to shock the W collector people... It worked!! Cheers, RickO

W quarter collectors know better than to fall for this. All he did was destroy US quarters 🙄

• Options

@WQuarterFreddie said:
    All he did was destroy US quarters 🙄

That's not all, I pulled a few strings too. :p:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xjJ2XIbGRk

• Options

@ifthevamzarockin said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:
    All he did was destroy US quarters 🙄

That's not all, I pulled a few strings too. :p:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xjJ2XIbGRk

Dude, did that hurt? Sounds painful. You might want to get that checked out!🤣😂

• Options

@WQuarterFreddie said:
    Dude, did that hurt?

I don't know, did it? It was your strings that got pulled. ;)

• Options

.> @ifthevamzarockin said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:
    Dude, did that hurt?

I don't know, did it? It was your strings that got pulled. ;)

Really? Your fake error coin thread got CLOSED! You are mistaken as to who is pulling the strings.😉

If this one gets closed too are you gonna act out by destroying more coins?😥😥😥

Asking for a friend!😂🤣

• Options
    edited March 14, 2023 2:51PM

@tommyrusty7 said:

I have to agree as well. For those of us lucky enough to have been in the right place at the right time and played the game, it was a major windfall! For years; I pretty much watched my collection devalue over time (it's just a hobby for me).

This W program was like hitting the lottery and pay back for all the losses. Several here can attest to the fact that I funded some major key dates and completed sets with those W assets.

I'll be perfectly honest. I'm the first one to say: I would never usually use the words coins, investment and profit in the same sentence. Not in this case. I believe I've even spread the wealth with a few of you with some free W's over the years. 😉

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

@WQuarterFreddie said:
    Really? Your fake error coin thread got CLOSED! You are mistaken as to who is pulling the strings.😉

Yeah from someone with 3 closed threads in the last 30 days!
    Clearly it's not you pulling the strings. ;)

• Options

@ifthevamzarockin said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

Yeah from someone with 3 closed threads in the last 30 days!
    Clearly it's not you pulling the strings. ;)

Your right and I am wrong. Keep on drilling.....whatever gets you through the night.🤱

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,630 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your question May never be answered, however if you bought these you could always use the quarters with the 2 holes as a button on a shirt. These quarters used as buttons might be cheaper than the actual button, And what a statement you would make it your next coin show. 💰🪙💰

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@tommyrusty7 said:

Hey there my friend! I agree it was a great run! Still more valuable than silver quarters!😎

And I got you started on the collectors forum. I myself just watch as I have gotten out of the coin collecting business because of my age. All I have left is some silver and about 50 of the 07 silver eagles in their original boxes.

• Options

@tommyrusty7 said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@tommyrusty7 said:

And I got you started on the collectors forum. I myself just watch as I have gotten out of the coin collecting business because of my age. All I have left is some silver and about 50 of the 07 silver eagles in their original boxes.

Personally, I am going to spend more time with a hobby I enjoy more than coins. It was nice to hear from you and I hope your wife is feeling better. I am going fishing!🎣

• Options

I fished a lot when I lived in Massachusetts but not here in NM . I really enjoyed it back then as it was mostly salt water and I lived just outside of Plymouth and Cape Cod. My wife is in a steady downward spiral with COPD so it's just a matter of time. Thanks for asking though.

• Options

Holes made by a metal hole punch press. Ran one years ago in a metal shop.

• Options

@ifthevamzarockin- Your thread brings back bad memories! 😂 🤣... Or I should cry!! 😫 😭

• Options

@OAKSTAR I didn't do it! :D

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was not uncommon for low denomination and/or smaller diameter coins (especially half cents, large cents) to be holed and used as emergency buttons for clothing due to the high cost of imported buttons. Coins were also holed and sewn inside clothing to secrete money in case of emergency need.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options

@ifthevamzarockin said:

I know, but I'd like to get my hands on the guy that did!! 😉

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ifthevamzarockin said:

That’s what they all say. With your lengthy criminal record for altering coins, I don’t know 😂

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    edited March 16, 2023 12:54PM

@Jzyskowski1 said:

@ifthevamzarockin said:

That’s what they all say. With your lengthy criminal record for altering coins, I don’t know 😂

Between you and me, I started young. As kids in the neighborhood, we made 14-D's from 44-D's..... and sold them to other kids! I should have been a counterfeiter!

Hey, I gotta go!..................................my Probation Officer is at the door. Hope to talk to you guys again someday!

• Options

Commonly done, shaving the rims, cutting out material, then spending the defaced coins. Cashing in the shavings and living off the income. This can only happen while the value of clad is so high.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file