Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coins in Cornerstone of Jackson Hall, Washington D.C., Constructed 1845

While doing research yesterday on the Andrew Jackson half dollar token, I came across an unrelated article that caught my attention and wonder if anyone knows anything about the coins mentioned. Jackson died in June 1845 and on July 4, 1845, the cornerstone was laid for a new Masonic building dedicated in his honor named Jackson Hall. This was located on Pennsylvania Ave in D.C. The article states that, among many documents pertaining to Jackson's life and administration, the following U.S. coins were included: "an eagle, a half eagle, a quarter eagle, a dollar, a half dollar, a dime, a half dime, a one cent and a half-cent piece." The building stood until 1949 when it was razed to make way for what is now the E. Barrett Prettyman Federal Courthouse. I have not found any articles about the retrieval of the contents of the cornerstone. The only one I found repeats the list from the 1845 article, omitting some of the coins, but says nothing about opening the cornerstone. I would guess that the Govt owns the coins.

I am curious if these coins are known and whether they were minted during Jackson's administration or were current issues at the time (1845). Anyone have information on these?

Comments

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 13, 2023 1:25PM

If the building with the cornerstone was a Masonic building it would belong to the Masons.

There is no doubt that they recovered the cornerstone contents.

Masonic Penny - Washington D.C. - Columbia Chapter 1 Ark of the Covenant
    Bronze, 29 mm, 8.90 gm

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now I'm curious too...🤔

• Options
    tttwotttwo Posts: 34 ✭✭✭

I left out the part about the govt. owning the building at the time it was demolished. Per the website https://www.dcd.uscourts.gov/courthouse-history, "The Department of Agriculture owned Jackson Hall, and used it as a rare seed warehouse until it was razed for the E. Barrett Prettyman Federal Courthouse in 1949." Maybe they transferred the coins to the Mint or the Smithsonian and the documents to the National Archives?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes these cornerstones are forgotten, and razed/scrapped with the rest of the building. I know of a couple examples this happened with. Of course, on notable buildings (i.e. the one discussed above), it is likely they were recovered. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a little more info.
    Jim

https://www.dcd.uscourts.gov/courthouse-history

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file