Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is there any company still in existence that makes encased coins?

Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭

I can only find companies like the Penny Press Mint that have gone out of the business. Anyone have a lead?

"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll have to poke around. I think there is one left, but they might also have gone out of business.

There is an encased coins collector's site out there (assuming that hasn't also gone under :/ ) and he would know if you email him.

The technology is not so advanced that someone couldn't start doing it, but the market for them (new ones) is pretty thin these days.

• Options
    Klif50Klif50 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭

Take a look at the Encased Coin Newsletter and you will find some dedicated encased coin collectors and they will know everything there is to know about anyone still making encased coins.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

There was an encased coin club at ANA Phoenix the other week. They seem to be pretty active with new issues.

• Options
    Dug13Dug13 Posts: 234 ✭✭✭

Try Osborne Corp. (private mint)
    They have made them in the past.

Wall of HONOR transaction list:WonderCoin, CoinFlip, Masscrew, Travintiques, lordmarcovan, Jinx86, Gerard, ElKevvo

• Options
    Dug13Dug13 Posts: 234 ✭✭✭

Also try Vintage Coin Concepts.
    They sell custom pieces on Amazon.

Wall of HONOR transaction list:WonderCoin, CoinFlip, Masscrew, Travintiques, lordmarcovan, Jinx86, Gerard, ElKevvo

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is an idea that needs reviving. Business cards that people would keep.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if an encased cent would be regarded as a good thing anymore? Back in the heyday of them a cent still got some respect. Finding a "penny" on the ground was considered to be good luck. Nowadays some people throw them onto the ground just to get rid of them.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    IcollecteverythingIcollecteverything Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭

Mustanggt has a bunch of dies for encased coins for sale on the BST. Maybe he knows who has a press.

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    ... Nowadays some people throw them onto the ground just to get rid of them.

And I happily pick them up for rolling eventually.

imageimage

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I still have a couple from years ago, somewhere in a storage box. Have not seen encased coins in general in a long time. Used to be popular. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TrampTramp Posts: 655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 15, 2023 1:05PM

Look at this link. It appears they do. https://ruefish.com/exposure-coins

Here's their inquiry form to send them for a response;

https://ruefish.com/encased

USAF (Ret.) 1985 - 2005. E-4B Aircraft Maintenance Crew Chief and Contracting Officer.
    My current Registry sets:
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Carson City Morgan Dollars (1878 – 1893)
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Lincoln Cents (1909 – 1958)
    ✓ Morgan Dollar GSA Hoard (1878 – 1891)

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

That appears to be a seller of an encased cent they had produced ($15 each, sold out). No word on who made it.

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the inputs, so far the only place that is considering making them is Ruefish. I signed-up, but they only appear to be in the stage of determining potential demand.

"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file