Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Morgan storage

I keep my Morgan dollars in plastic capsules. I am thinking about buying an album to store them. Not so much concerned about the dates but it would be nice to see then tone naturally.
Is one better than the other?
Recommendations?
Thank you

Comments

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 13, 2023 5:21PM

I’ve had my Morgans in Dansco albums for decades and they haven’t Toned. It may be that the environment is more important than the album for this.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

Albums take up a lot more space, cost significantly more money, do not guarantee that the coins in them will tone and, of the coins that do tone, they give no assurance that the coin will look nicer with the toning. Additionally, not only are most modern albums made in a manner that reduces their tendency to tone coins, but silver coins below AU or that don't already have decent skin are likely to tone even more slowly.

This seems like a space and money wasting idea to me, but it might work for you.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't believe I've ever intentionally thought about manipulating or modifying the storage of my collection to induce or initiate the toning process of my coins.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DNADave said:
    I’ve had my Morgan’s in Dansco albums for decades and they haven’t Toned. It may be that the environment is more important than the album for this.

Agree, I had most in the Dansco 15 years and little to no toning, maybe a little on the rims. I also had an Morgan LOC album from the 60's that was starting to create nice rim toning after 10 years on several coins. TomB is probably correct in that modern albums are made not to tone the coins. Will be a long wait. I also would not AT/darken any coins as mentioned in other posts. If you want toning, you will need to buy coins already toned and pay accordingly.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are some options as I did this same thing. I had rolls of dollars but I wanted them to be more viewable I guess you could say, and I preferred the "flat storage" vs tubes. The albums do take up a lot more volume as said above.

Option 1 would be just buy any old used dollar album and stuff your coins into it. This is probably the cheapest but if the album has dated holes most collector's OCD would absolutely not allow this option. (I have an old LOC 1897-1921 Morgan album filled with common dates)
    Option 2 would be to buy new undated dollar pages. These 38mm ones by whitman work. You might be able to find them cheaper on ebay if you buy many. The downside is you still need a cover to put them in.
    https://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/whitman-album-blank-page-38mm.html

Option 3 would be a new blank dollar album. Good luck finding Dansco if that's what you are after.

I recently got pretty lucky and my LCS had two gently used blank Dansco albums with silver dollar pages in them. They were still $20 each though.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DNADave said:
    I’ve had my Morgan’s in Dansco albums for decades and they haven’t Toned. It may be that the environment is more important than the album for this.

It's the cardboard. Old albums had high sulfur cardboard. Dansco has archival low-sulfur cardboard.

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dansco's are best but don't impart toning and the plastic slides can scratch cheeks.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DollarAfterDollar said:
    Dansco's are best but don't impart toning and the plastic slides can scratch cheeks.

The second part of this statement is true for ALL albums with slides. Understand how to keep the slides from impacting any part of the surfaces of the coins when moving the slide to add or remove coins.

There are also concerns with making sure albums do not trap or induce contaminants on the surfaces. Spots can and do appear due to small particles of the album finding their way onto the surface, and usually, as Murphy's law will dictate, they go to the wrong spot for a spot!

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    jacrispiesjacrispies Posts: 714 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wayte Raymond albums may be the way to go. I've seen a morgan collection stored in a WR binder, and all were beautifully toned from over 20 years of storage.

"For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord" Romans 6:23. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not like albums. So I cannot make any recommendations for you regarding albums.

The silver dollars that I don't have in slabs, are stored in these tubes.

I like the look of my silver dollars when I buy them, so no need to tone them myself in an album.

The coins are much safer from the elements of long term storage, stored in these tubes, rather than an album.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file