Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I met with a local collector Friday who was selling

And I bought 3 coins. I'm very happy with the purchase. One was a slabbed WLH that I have set aside for another time.
These two Morgan's were a great bonus and I was surprised when he offered them.
Collectors to collector deals are usually pretty decent I think.
This one worked out well and he was a nice man.
The toned 1882S has what looks like some PVC smutz on it but I am afraid to put it in acetone for fear of harming the toning.

Comments

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

Acetone doesn't affect the toning. Top pic looks artificially frosted. Could be the photo. Can we get a better pic please.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gumby1234 said:
    Acetone doesn't affect the toning. Top pic looks artificially frosted. Could be the photo. Can we get a better pic please.

Yeah, there's something off about it.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

Either the 1879-S looks like the image and it’s been hideously altered or the image is so inaccurate that it shouldn’t be used to represent the coin’s appearance.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭

@MFeld said:
    Either the 1879-S looks like the image and it’s been hideously altered or the image is so inaccurate that it shouldn’t be used to represent the coin’s appearance.

It's the latter. In the OP's new pics, the coin looks MS64 at a minimum, with a shot at PL. :)

Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for better pics. Looks 63 to me maybe PL hard to tell.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

PVC residue?
    Agree with finding good deals via collectors.

I got this one at Raleigh coin show last year:

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

Yeah I think it's the photography.

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here, maybe this will help with the photos.

Try eliminating all ambient light from your photos. I use two desk lamps, and I turn off all other lights and close my windows so the room is dark except for those two lights. The lamps go close to the lens, usually at 10 and 2.

This generally produces excellent results that are very close to the in hand look.

The exceptions are toned coins where I have to do some glaring off the slabs with the light. I never really get the same results due to this.

You want your lens as parallel to the ground as possible, and on something stable like a copy stand or tripod. I shoot at ISO 100 at F10. This usually makes my shutter speed something like 1/25, but it changes depending on the coin. The coin should be flat to the ground, and parallel with the camera lens. If the coin is tilted, or not parallel with the lens, then the final image could be out of focus.

Good luck! The 1879-S looks to be a nice PL piece, probably around a 63/64PL.

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options

I'm still using my cell phone. I did buy a very nice camera. I need to practice with it. Sunday is my rest day. I'll get to it. I was trying to get a shot of the nice cameo and you are correct the first image was shot at an angle.
    The second was flat in natural light as the sun was still bright.

• Options

PVC residue on the obverse of the 1882 not the 1879.

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree the Acetone shouldn't harm the toning. Definitely need to get the pvc off or risk permanent damage to the coin.

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 12, 2023 6:49PM

I fully intend to take care of it.
    Should I soak it overnight?
    Roll a qtip soaked in acetone after to pull off any residue?

• Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭

You do not need to soak it in acetone overnight. Around 10 minutes could be enough. Then I would rinse the coin in a fresh container of acetone to make sure the residue of the first bath does not make its way on the coin again. I would use one those of chemistry squirt bottles. They are made of special plastic that acetone does not eat away at and used to rinse laboratory equipment so no impurities remain on it. The same applies to coins.

Rolling the qtip over the coin should only be done if the acetone is not coming off easily.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

A short soak for just a few minutes is generally enough. No harm to toning as stated above.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

@Che_Grapes said:
    PVC residue?
    Agree with finding good deals via collectors.

I got this one at Raleigh coin show last year:

I like your coin. This is what keeps me spending money on Morgan dollars. They come with so many cool surfaces. I love a nice frosty morgan no two ways about it.
    I also love deep mirrors.
    This is my favorite Morgan. I'll post it again just because it's worth showing. When someone says 30 inch mirrors well this is 30 inch mirrors for sure.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Watchtower ... That 1884CC Morgan is a beauty... What mirrors!!! Acetone will not affect tarnish... Just organic residues. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file