erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

@Tabe said:

@erikthredd said:

@Tabe said:

@erikthredd said:
    This kid is an absolute moron...

He's 23, not a kid.

At 23 he's a young adult, the literal exact definition of a kid in the Cambridge dictionary.
    https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/kid

The primary definition on that page is "young child". Dictionary.com says "child or young person".

If you've been able to legally drink for over 2 years, you're not a kid.

If you guys want to argue over semantics, you might be better served in the Yaz vs Beltre thread. 😂

What was the point of even going down that road?

Here's our gangsta Ja
    https://www.youtube.com/shorts/GsNE-miULCo

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

This guy will not end well.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:
    What I'm trying to get is why you even care that I called him a kid lol, like me doing that somehow absolves him for his decision making when it doesn't.

Because it kind of does. The implication is that he's somehow less culpable because he's "a kid". Nah, he's an adult - for over 5 years now - and should be held to that standard.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

You guys could bring your question to the Oracle. you may find an answer there...

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 15, 2023 7:48AM

My previous attempt to bring peace, serenity, calm, and enlightenment to the FIRST chapter of this dark but all too common example of deviant human behavior was not well received here.....

Anyway, yesterday the Hydrants celebrated Mother's Day with a family barbecue. Everything was Hunky-Dory right up until Hydrant cousin Lizzy, who was just recently discharged from a six month lockdown at the county psych ward reverted to form.

I have my own issues a little closer to home to deal with right now. I don't give a Rat's A*s about clowns flashing guns or whatever else they choose to flash (Antonio Brown?).......

Neither Should Anyone Else.....

The Oracle Has Spoken...

TAKE HEED MY BROTHERS!

• Options

@Tabe said:

@erikthredd said:
    What I'm trying to get is why you even care that I called him a kid lol, like me doing that somehow absolves him for his decision making when it doesn't.

Because it kind of does. The implication is that he's somehow less culpable because he's "a kid". Nah, he's an adult - for over 5 years now - and should be held to that standard.

No it doesn't. You came in with a hair across your ass for some reason and decided to take my comment and turn it into some pointless debate.
    Ja Morant maybe 23 years old but he has a ton of maturing to do, like most people his age do. I'm done arguing with you so I'll leave it at that.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Doing some reading in the situation has led me to see that there is a significant alcohol angle to this story.

I'm sure that might be common knowledge to some here.

There is a lot going on. .

The lifestyles of the mega rich, young athletes, and how it involves and affects families, children, and women, etc, is one topic.

Substance abuse is another.

Unsafe gun handling is also.

• Options
    edited May 16, 2023 4:50PM

NBA commish Adam Silver was just interviewed about Ja Morant and talked about how bad the first time was and they're looking into this one. It sounds like Ja is gonna see a pretty heavy punishment when its all said and done.

edit: Jalen Rose just said he talked with Adam Silver and Ja Morant on the same day after it all happened and he was told that Ja's punishment would not only hurt Morant but its going to also hurt the team as well.
    He mentioned maybe 30-40 games to make an example. Ja's salary next season will pay him roughly 408K/game, a 30-40 game suspension will cost him 12-16M in salary. Dumbass!

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

How many people post photo of them holding a gun, or firing a gun on Social Media?

Countless.

How many of them are at risk for being punished by their employers? Less than the countless.

Just goes to show that public figures are treated differently (much worse or much better) than the average person. Ja is showing his lack of common sense, or just bad decision making.

• Options
    edited May 16, 2023 5:17PM

@erikthredd said:
    NBA commish Adam Silver was just interviewed about Ja Morant and talked about how bad the first time was and they're looking into this one. It sounds like Ja is gonna see a pretty heavy punishment when its all said and done.

I agree. Brenda popped in this afternoon and we talked about the Ja situation..... Brenda is a huge NBA fan....

She said, " Ja's In heap big trouble! ......Just looking at that Silver guy has me quaking in my boots!"

I think she's right......He looks like one scary Hombre!
    The Commish will get to the BOTTOM of it!

Heavy Punishment?.... Damn Straight!

• Options

I wonder if Adam Silver hooped as a kid in high school?

If so, was he a baller?

• Options
    edited May 16, 2023 5:13PM

@Hydrant said:

>

I think she's right......He looks like one scary Dude!
    The Commish will get to the bottom of it!

Heavy Punishment?.... Damn Straight!

Adam Silver is about as scary as a bumblebee.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

^^^^^^^^^
    I was going to post a longer response myself, but I could not say it any better than Perk just did. This is it, EXACTLY. Firearms and alcohol never mix. Flippant gun handling is NEVER a good thing. Like Perk said, I have tons of pics of myself and others at the range, safely, handling firearms.

He needs a big suspension. A terrible look for both him and the league.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    edited May 17, 2023 12:26PM

@erikthredd said:

edit: Jalen Rose just said he talked with Adam Silver and Ja Morant on the same day after it all happened and he was told that Ja's punishment would not only hurt Morant but its going to also hurt the team as well.
    He mentioned maybe 30-40 games to make an example. Ja's salary next season will pay him roughly 408K/game, a 30-40 game suspension will cost him 12-16M in salary. Dumbass!

Apparently I misread the article on how much money players lose when they get suspended. If the suspension is less than 20 games they lose 1/145th of their per game salary. If its more than 20 games its 1/110th of their per game salary.
    https://basketballforall.com/do-nba-players-get-paid-when-suspended/#:~:text=NBA players get reduced pay,suspensions longer than 20 games.

Ja would lose roughly 50-60K per game and somewhere in the range of 1.5M to 2.5M depending on it being a 30-40 game suspension. By then he would have likely lost most,if not all, of his endorsement deals on top of that.

• Options
    edited May 18, 2023 10:09AM

Ja has released a statement...... Quote,"This is a journey and I recognize there is more work to do."

Sounds good to me......
    Let the Journey continue....
    More Work To Do...
    Chapter three could be a real killer!

No Harm No Foul....
    So Far.....

• Options

Somewhat related,its going to be interesting to see how the teams that are positioned high in the upcoming NBA draft handle the situation with Alabama forward Brandon Miller. He was the kid that delivered his own gun to a friend who had asked for it then that friend went onto kill someone with it back in early 2022.
    Miller is projected to get drafted somewhere in the picks 2-5 range and with everyone calling out Ja for just holding a gun,twice, you'd think that these teams would have an issue with what Miller did. I'm guessing they won't.

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:
    Somewhat related,its going to be interesting to see how the teams that are positioned high in the upcoming NBA draft handle the situation with Alabama forward Brandon Miller. He was the kid that delivered his own gun to a friend who had asked for it then that friend went onto kill someone with it back in early 2022.
    Miller is projected to get drafted somewhere in the picks 2-5 range and with everyone calling out Ja for just holding a gun,twice, you'd think that these teams would have an issue with what Miller did. I'm guessing they won't.

I have read this differently. His friend, the other player owned the gun that he stashed in the backseat of Miller's car hidden in some clothing. It was in Miller's car unknown to him when he met family for dinner because the nightclub line was too long. The actual shooter was an DC hometown friend of the other player who hid his gun in the backseat of Miller's car.

When miller finished his dinner with family, he went back to the nightclub to find his friend. While driving back, his teammate friend phoned / texted him to come back. Miller supposedly did not see the call / text until he got to the nightclub.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

@Alfonz24 said:

@erikthredd said:

I have read this differently. His friend, the other player owned the gun that he stashed in the backseat of Miller's car hidden in some clothing. It was in Miller's car unknown to him when he met family for dinner because the nightclub line was too long. The actual shooter was an DC hometown friend of the other player who hid his gun in the backseat of Miller's car.

When miller finished his dinner with family, he went back to the nightclub to find his friend. While driving back, his teammate friend phoned / texted him to come back. Miller supposedly did not see the call / text until he got to the nightclub.

Maybe i got some of the exact details wrong but even then is that the whole truth? He still played a part in someone getting murdered which is so much worse than what Ja has done when you really think about it. We'll see if it affects some team drafting him or not. Many mocks have him going 2nd.

• Options

Ja just got a 25 games suspension,costing him 7.5M in game salary.Maybe he should change his name to Ja Moron now. 🤣
    https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/37863825/sources-grizzlies-ja-morant-suspended-25-games-nba

• Options

In all honesty, it's a huge punishment, but at the same time not really. An indefinite ban maybe?

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭✭✭

homie got off very light

shoulda been 1/2 season at best

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    homie got off very light

shoulda been 1/2 season at best least

• Options

This reminds me of the MLB players who use PEDs, get a huge guaranteed contract, and risk a suspension, In the sense that it's really just a drop in the bucket.

They could've Pete Rose'd him, or something...🤷🤔🙃

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

@galaxy27 said:
    homie got off very light

there's more than one way to say it, grammar sheriff

at best = the best possible scenario (for Ja)

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

@thisistheshow said:

@galaxy27 said:
    homie got off very light

there's more than one way to say it, grammar sheriff

at best = the best possible scenario (for Ja)

I am no grammar sheriff. Take it back

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

25 game suspension to start this season for Ja. Some people just don't learn because all they ever get is a slap on the hand and told "Don't do it again".

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

I wonder if the 25 game suspension Ja received would have been less (or not imposed at all) if his social media postings showed him receiving instruction in the use of guns and showed him target shooting at a licensed/permitted gun shooting range?

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SanctionII said:
    I wonder if the 25 game suspension Ja received would have been less (or not imposed at all) if his social media postings showed him receiving instruction in the use of guns and showed him target shooting at a licensed/permitted gun shooting range?

That’s like asking if a social media post showing someone carving a turkey would be perceived differently than one showing someone brandishing the same knife menacingly as a weapon. In a sane world, responsible and non-violent use/display of either tool would not be perceived negatively. Not sure what would actually happen in the current real world, however.