Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is this a Rolling indentation?

Any idea about what happened here???

Best Answers

• Shane6596Shane6596 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 11, 2023 10:30PM Answer ✓

Welcome to forum. Im interested what this one is.

To me it looks like the material was removed with a file or similar. If it was rolled or pressed i would expect some distortion of the coin as material was pushed.

Just a wild guess, others with more experience will chime in.

Successful BST transactions with....Coinslave87, ChrisH821, Walkerguy21D, SanctionII.......................Received "You Suck" award 02/18/23

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Is this a Rolling indentation?"
    I have never heard that numismatic term used so I would say no. But I am always willing to learn something new.

It doesn't show some of the typical things you would expect to see for PMD like flattened or distorted devises on the reverse.
    It doesn't appear to show pushed up metal on either side of the valley like you would expect to see with that much metal displacement.
    The rim doesn't appear to have metal pushed out or out of round.
    The nick on the reverse appears more like PMD.
    Lincoln's lip & chin looks flattened and could indicate it was flattened after being struck, that would indicate PMD.
    If there was that much metal missing before strike it would show weak details on the reverse.

You are showing a piece of webbing, it doesn't appear to be struck thru a piece of webbing.
    Not sure what it is, but pretty sure it's not struck thru webbing.

Have you weighed the coin and does it sit flat?
    The weight would give a good indication of what is going on.

Maybe @FredWeinberg has seen something like this or can give some insight. ;)

Answers

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't answer your question, but welcome.
    bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you able to weigh your coin?

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lainmejia ... Welcome aboard. I cannot specifically identify the cause of the damage, but rest assured, it did not happen at the U.S. Mint... it is Post Mint Damage (PMD)... No numismatic premium. Cheers, RickO

• More pics...

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

PMD

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are at least two features that demonstrate that this damage (whatever it is) happened after the strike. Discuss one or both.

Hint: one on each side of the coin.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 12, 2023 8:05AM

@jonathanb said:
    There are at least two features that demonstrate that this damage (whatever it is) happened after the strike. Discuss one or both.

Hint: one on each side of the coin.

Ooo... there's a quiz. There is obverse rim damage. There's also a little indentation on the reverse.

Of course there's also no metal flow to indicate that the planchet was rolled that way. And even if it was struck through something during the minting process, you would expect sharpness on the high points as the metal had to go somewhere.

If I bring you an apple, do I get an A?

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf No Apple bribes are not allowed. You get detention.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gumby1234 said:
    @jmlanzaf No Apple bribes are not allowed. You get detention.

My parents and their lawyer would like a meeting.

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome To the Forum!

You got your answer, I see.
    Beautiful pictures taken, dude!
    Welcome again.
    ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file