Options

Thieves who robbed dealer's car caught

logger7logger7 Posts: 8,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 14, 2023 7:47AM in U.S. Coin Forum

INVESTIGATING AGENCY: Cherokee County, SC

TYPE OF INCIDENT: VEHICLE BURGLARY

INCIDENT LOCATION: CHEROKEE, SC

DATE OCCURRED: 3/5/23

A dealer heading home from the recent TSNS coin show was the victim of a vehicle burglary. The victim stopped to eat and while inside two suspects gained entry into the vehicle. A witness who was across the street observed the offense and provided a description of the suspect vehicle to responding officers.

The suspects were driving a Silver Honda Pilot with a blacked out rear plate. A Cherokee County Sheriff’s Deputy spotted the vehicle and made a traffic stop without incident. The suspects were arrested, and all cash and coins were recovered. The suspects are from Colombia and are being held without bond due to being flight risks. It is believed that the suspects were also in the company of a female who was acting suspicious at the show but attempts to locate her were unsuccessful.

Anyone with information contact:

Doug Davis

817-723-7231

Doug@numismaticcrimes.org

Comments

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Throw the book at them.

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love to see it!

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    Good news. They'll probably be deported although they deserve some jail time.

I'd unfortunately be surprised if they get either. 😕

• Options
    conrad99conrad99 Posts: 345 ✭✭✭

@golden said:
    The dealer is very lucky that they were caught.

Agreed. This is like a miracle in my book.

Where I live the cops don't want to be bothered unless there's a dead body laying about.

• Options
    JW77JW77 Posts: 460 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is why when I'm on the road with coins I make sure I can see my vehicle through the window when stopping, and of course I usually have my fav Austrian piece by my side.

• Options
    dhikewhitneydhikewhitney Posts: 361 ✭✭✭

@JBK said:

@PerryHall said:

I'd unfortunately be surprised if they get either. 😕

Depends on the local prosecutor and which attorneys they hire; it is scandalous and dangerous when law and order breaks down in society and the criminal justice system no longer works to protect the innocent (coin dealer).

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad to hear they got caught.

The dealer should have never made any stops with valuables in his vehicle. Like others said, he got lucky that they were caught.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    TrampTramp Posts: 652 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 11, 2023 7:50PM

Need to be careful at shows. Be aware of your surroundings! You just don't know who's watching you while negotiating that trade. It's often a long walk from the show's front door to your car. Buddy up if you can and carry a big stick!

I prefer this stick;. https://www.google.com/search?client=ms-android-verizon&sxsrf=AJOqlzXNiOEpdWGsp06lxc_3nufmvDQ9Fw:1678588664703&q=telescopic+baton+self+defense&tbm=vid&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi5ndWIrtX9AhXwl2oFHdY_CcoQ0pQJegQICBAB&biw=320&bih=566&dpr=3.38#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:65a87384,vid:PZzYf00IFNU

USAF (Ret.) 1985 - 2005. E-4B Aircraft Maintenance Crew Chief and Contracting Officer.
    My current Registry sets:
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Carson City Morgan Dollars (1878 – 1893)
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Lincoln Cents (1909 – 1958)
    ✓ Morgan Dollar GSA Hoard (1878 – 1891)

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

Most likely, from what I've seen, they'll do their time here in the U.S. then get deported.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would be interesting to know if the thieves were at the show and followed him or just a random car theft. Sadly some from other countries are flying into country for weekend thievery like some fly to Vegas looking for coin and fun.

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭✭✭

Make them grade master boxes of ASE for the next twenty years. All the same date! :)

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

@No Headlights said:
    Make them grade master boxes of ASE for the next twenty years. All the same date! :)

Cruel and unusual punishment. They would go insane in a few weeks. :o

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great news.... We must get better at security, so these events are less likely to occur. It is reported here many times, vehicle broken into while dealer is in restaurant.... likely followed from show... Take precautions, pack a lunch, park where visible if you must leave the car. Bring a friend to wait in the car... lots of options. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 12, 2023 10:03AM

When I drive to show with inventory it is nonstop unless go thru drive thru. I don’t leave the car. Obey traffic rules, speed limit, check rear view mirror, etc.. Furthermore when loading / unloading one needs do it in one trip and be cognizant who’s around outside the bourse room. Having a gun good too.

At show lock cases when leaving table. Don’t allow anyone open cases or take inventory from table unless paid for. Keep any ref material in bc behind table. Most offers to any sellers I refer to my phone - CDN, TPG, Kitco. If showing stack of currency / inventory to customer keep eye on them resist distractions.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    Snowman24Snowman24 Posts: 466 ✭✭✭
    edited March 13, 2023 9:22AM

With this story I bet the "female" dropped an airtag in the dealer's coins. Then her "friends" had the tracking number to follow the dealer wherever they went without them even knowing it. I'm surprised no one mentioned anything about thieves using Airtags or tracking devices on cars. Some mentioned looking for someone tailing you or taking the coins in stores or security. The thieves could follow you all the way home without you ever seeing them. Doesn't anyone check their property or cars for airtags - bugs ???

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@JW77 said:
    This is why when I'm on the road with coins I make sure I can see my vehicle through the window when stopping, and of course I usually have my fav Austrian piece by my side.

Why leave valuables in your vehicle at all, when stopping?

Thank you.
    How many times does this happen, where someone just has to stop and eat with a car full of inventory sitting out there?
    Two words people...DRIVE THRU. or better yet, just head home and then go out to eat after you've secured everything.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good things happen when individuals report bad activity to the police, instead of just ignoring it and moving on.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭

@telephoto1 said:

@MFeld said:

@JW77 said:

Thank you.
    How many times does this happen, where someone just has to stop and eat with a car full of inventory sitting out there?
    Two words people...DRIVE THRU. or better yet, just head home and then go out to eat after you've secured everything.

Don't forget that if they can follow you to the restaurant, they can follow you to your house. Its been done before.

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AngryTurtle said:

@telephoto1 said:

@MFeld said:

@JW77 said:

Thank you.

Don't forget that if they can follow you to the restaurant, they can follow you to your house. Its been done before.

Common Sense Security Tips
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/743483/common-sense-security-tips

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reminder that thieves are also following bank customers after they leave the bank. If you visit a bank to pick up coin rolls or visit your safe deposit box, make sure you take precautions!

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Project Numismatics said:
    Reminder that thieves are also following bank customers after they leave the bank. If you visit a bank to pick up coin rolls or visit your safe deposit box, make sure you take precautions!

I must do better at this.

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 13, 2023 12:42PM

@erscolo said:
    In today's woke "culture," one has to wonder if the thieves will do any time. Good is now evil, and evil is now good.

I agree. Kinda like misinformation is evil until it becomes a good strategy. Or canceling research on health issues in mining communities with significant cancer and birth defect rates suddenly becomes a good thing for these people. Are cancer and birth defects good things these days? It's hard to tell now.

Oil companies discovering and acknowledging ACC is real and happening until they claim it isn't. And how greenhouse gasses are now a blessing and we need 20 times more of it than we have now, despite its physical properties.

Regulations are evil now until you find tons of vinyl chloride in your world and have little recourse to address the problem. Mercury is not a problem anymore!

Good scientists have now formed a massive conspiracy to become bad woke scientists. Even the prestigious National Academy of Sciences has become infiltrated with these bad woke scientists! Don't they know that coal has become beautiful and "clean" now?

I've been blessed and should give tours for y'all of the "good" and beautiful things I've seen in a lifetime working around power plants, coal mines, and the Florida Everglades. After the tour, we can quench our thirsts with cold lemonade made from fly ash runoff or screwdrivers made with orange acid mine drainage.

My favorite good-evil flip are the Judges OK'ing drilling for oil immediately upstream of Everglades NP despite the oil spill issues in Big Cypress NR. Didn't know that? That's because oil spills in Big Cypress are a GOOD THING now! Even better is keeping these accidents out of the news.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    dollarfandollarfan Posts: 315 ✭✭✭

What?

• Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf "If deported they can easily reenter through the southern border free to commit more crimes."

This story was in South Carolina. Perhaps they are from Columbia, S.C.

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭

I see the spelling now, Colombia

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone have a custom alarm system on their vehicle? Back in the day, I used to do Babaco installs for various reps of valuables.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good these thieves need severe penalties!!! Stealing is an evil thing!!!

Collecting interests: Coins from Latin American (2020-present)

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you find the airtag tape it to a city bus.

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭

@Smudge said:
    Throw the book at them.

make them eat all the coins

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PillarDollarCollector said:

Sharia law would curtail a lot of this crime.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 13, 2023 4:34PM

@PerryHall said:

@PillarDollarCollector said:

Sharia law would curtail a lot of this crime.

Yes it would or at least you could tell who is a thief and who is not in a lot of cases once punishment had been laid down. Turning the other cheek is not working out well as most people are starting to see. The USA is slowly fading away because tough love is not applied enough. Drug addicts/homeless all over the place and most large cities look like a mess and are dangerous.

Nah just leave as is how bad could it get right?

Collecting interests: Coins from Latin American (2020-present)

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options

This is a coin forum.
    If you feel you may have information that has to do with a crime, please contact the authorities.

This post has been closed.

This discussion has been closed.