Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Recommendations - conservation service for a bronze Jacques Wiener cathedral medal

baddogssbaddogss Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 12, 2023 8:37AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I'm looking for suggestions on how to conserve a bronze Jacques Wiener cathedral medal - professional or home remedy.

Update 3/12/23 new photo of the medal in question and comments added below.

I've used Numismatic Conservation Services (NCS) on two previous occasions.
NCS still offers this service, but now the medal must also be certified/graded/slabbed.
I believe this is the same way PCGS does this service now - please correct me if I'm wrong.

Today all of my cathedral medals (23) are raw.
I really don't want to pay for grading and then crack it out when it comes back.
That or dive down the rabbit hole and slab the other 22 medals.

So, I'm looking for a conservation service, without the requirement to slab after conservation?

Below is a pic of all of them together.
The problem child that is the subject of this post is in there too.

A little background. I just noticed this development the other night.
I noticed this while adding my two newest additions to the collection.

The medal I'm concerned about was purchased in 2016 - from a trusted source.
After closer inspection today, I have decided to quarantine the subject medal.
That's all I will say for now.

Can you spot the one that I'm concerned about ?
I will post a pic later.

_ Update 3/12/23_**

I think it's PVC damage. Any suggestions, Acetone or ... ?

St. Ouen, Rouen France 1859, obverse

Reverse

Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
Sugar magnolia blossoms blooming, heads all empty and I don't care ...

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@baddogss... Beautiful collection... I have never used an independent service, so, without experience, I have no recommendations. I do agree with keeping them unslabbed... much nicer than in plastic. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keepin em nekkit allows for better visual enjoyment of the detail. What kind of gunk do you want to dissolve. There's things you can try. Just saying.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd just leave them as they are. These are collected by medal collectors who will admire them for what they are. No conservation needed (and no expense to have it done.)

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2023 3:40PM

@Namvet69 @291fifth @ricko thank you for the comments.

Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
  • Options

3/12/23 updates in the OP.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a lovely group!

Does the offending substance rub off with a dry Q-Tip?

• Options

@pruebas said:
    What a lovely group!

Does the offending substance rub off with a dry Q-Tip?

@pruebas Thank you.

I have not tried anything, yet and thank you for the suggestion.
    Here's a better picture.

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Acetone will dissolve it if it is PVC. There are lots of threads about copper and PVC and conservation if you look.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file