Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

FSH: My entire collection

13»

Comments

• Options
    DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭
    edited April 4, 2023 5:19PM

We had to take my Father-in-Law to the Emergency Room last week. He's 82 with Type I Diabetes. Diagnosis was Congestive Heart Failure and AFib. We brought him home on Sunday. So, I've got some catching up to de here.

"Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Options
    NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 899 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 8, 2023 8:38PM

@DieClash said:

@PillarDollarCollector said:
    If you have an Ipad use that camera then upload them to your computer I use to have one and the images looked great.

I'm feeling like a neophyte in so many ways

I'm flattered :blush:

Edit note: I am wishing your father well, and you the rest and comfort of family in the midst of such a traumatic week. Take care.

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭
    edited May 9, 2023 7:41AM

Nice collection. Kudos to you for amassing a collection of beauties!
    And best to you in your retirement. I am at that age as well
    and have piece mealed off parts of my collection.

"Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just read this thread and am curious.

Has this thread resulted in any successful sales yet?

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

It had died a slow death, with no results on April 4th. Now it has been resurrected unfortunately.

• Options

interested in the morgans, but not paying retail? discounts for bundles?

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've sent a couple of PM's asking questions, no reply yet. I hope he is ok.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    edited June 6, 2023 10:17PM

bip I could use your helpful suggestions. I'm amenable to selling at Greysheet. But I have about a thousand pounds of coins to ship. Imagine the shipping cost alone. I'm not a dealer and don't travel to shows. There has been interest expressed on this thread for all of my collection. I just don't know how to do it. I'm stymied. So please help me get this done. Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

What state are you located in?

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options

@oreville said:
    What state are you located in?

Pennsylvania

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 7, 2023 4:53AM

A number of dealers and collectors on the forum attend the PAN shows, so hopefully someone is in your area and willing to help you.
    @Verno is one the show organizers and may know who to contact.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options

Try pirate ship, Set up an account at no cost and prices are less than u s p s and u p s.

• Options
    jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of people in PA. Are you Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, or central area?

Selling at greysheet may be harder than you think. A lot of dealers will try to sell even a bit back of greysheet. I would lower my expectations to 10% below greysheet as a starting point of thinking.

• Options
    HalfpenceHalfpence Posts: 442 ✭✭✭✭

You will be able to get more for your coins selling to folks here than a dealer, but I think the task of selling here is overwhelming. Also, your prices are very unrealistic. So, shop your collection at local dealers, and lower your expectations. Better to sell for a little less than you hoped than not to sell at all.

• Options
    bp777bp777 Posts: 380 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pm sent

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

1000 pounds of coins is a large amount of coins. If most of these coins are ones that are readily available in the market place with large surviving populations most of them will bring discounted prices below wholesale if they are sold in bulk (to a dealer, collector or investor).

Collector to collector sales of individual coins on the BST would likely be at higher values (provided the seller posts quality photos and offers a return privilege). If the coins have been graded by a top TPG that would likely create higher sale prices than if the individual coins are sold raw.

To maximize the sales prices for these 1000 pounds of coins, substantial time, effort and money would have to be devoted by the seller. Many who have such a large collection to sell do not want to put in the time, money and effort to do so.

Selling in bulk at a price that is well below wholesale to a buyer who is willing to take the entire collection merely means that the buyer is willing to put in the time, effort and money to place the entire collection into the market place. No such buyer will do so unless he or she can make money for themselves on a resale. Thus the low price the current owner can expect to receive in a bulk sale. Such a buyer may offer bid minus 40% or even 50% (thus for a coin with a bid price of $100.00 the buyer would pay $60.00 or $50.00) and once the collection is acquired he or she will quickly resell it to another wholesaler at bid minus 30%. /this gives the original buyer of the collection a quick profit of 10% to 20% of bid.

Taking 1000 pounds of coins to local dealers/shops to solicit offers may result in no offers being made (if the local dealers/shops do not want to purchase such a large collection). Thus it may make sense to have the collection reviewed and broken into smaller parts (i.e. all of the Modern Commemorative coins in OGP minted since 1982; and all of the 1968 to present proof and mint sets in OGP). These smaller parts can then be offered to local dealers.

Probably the best thing for the OP to do is find some forumites who live in his area of Pennsylvania who would stop by to review and assess the 1000 pound collection and provide advice.

Good luck in your liquidation project.

• Options
    blaircountycoinblaircountycoin Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

PM sent. Again Again and Again? Also willing to travel to seller depending on what part of PA. he is in. No response.

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have a nice set of raw uncirculated Washington quarters. Nicer than your group of Morgan and Peace dollars.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 11, 2023 11:20PM

• Options
    Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭✭✭

PM sent but no response. I'll try again

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA

• Options

Amazing - 6.2K views and not many replies to PM's?

• Options

"You suck"..."You're not really selling"..."Get off your high horse"..."I know you're a joke"...."You don't want to sell"..."This is a hoax"...blah blah blah.

These are some of the comments I have received. I'll tell you, I am really selling this collection. But I am not selling at greysheet dealer-to-dealer prices, because I'm not a dealer. I'm selling to serious collectors at my cost plus shipping. If you're a dealer, then blow off already, I'm not interested in your input.

• Options
    jeffbuckesjeffbuckes Posts: 6
    edited October 6, 2023 2:55PM

deleted

• Options
    MartinMartin Posts: 845 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jeffbuckes dieclash says he is not wanting to sell to dealers he is wanting (I assume) closer to retail. There also is no right or wrong way for him to sell his collection. He wants to do it his way that’s great. A few collectors my prefer it than dealing with a dealer

I also think he might be more successful doing it how you said……but
    He can do it however he likes. It is a hobby after all

Just a couple thoughts for you guys out there
    Martim

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

If he wants to sell his coins:
    List them with a price!
    PERIOD!
    I/We are not going to beg him
    Enough is enough

• Options
    jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your cost plus shipping? When you posted the 1881-S Morgan in MS63, you said $150. This is a very common coin. If you paid $150, you’ll never sell your collection because you are deeply buried in it.
    Also, if you’ve held these coins for more than 5-10 years, greysheet likely exceeds your cost (unless you really overpaid). Mixed messages here

• Options

I simply say we needs to move on from this because of the responses take way to long (scared to think how long it will take to ship) I recommend eBay

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

starting to look like silverpop 2.0

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

Summary: "I'm selling but I'm not selling. I'll sell at greysheet but I'm not selling at greysheet."

Simple enough. :D

• Options

@IkesT said:
    Summary: "I'm selling but I'm not selling. I'll sell at greysheet but I'm not selling at greysheet."

What's not to understand.............
    Move along, nothing to see here.............

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alaura22 said:

@IkesT said:

What's not to understand.............
    Move along, nothing to see here.............

This is a great collection for people who are looking to buy but are not buying...

• Options
    rsei0120rsei0120 Posts: 127 ✭✭

@oreville said:
    You have PCGS?

yes

• Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭

It’s been a few years since I’ve been here, this thread is almost as good as those old BNB threads.

Thanks for the laughs.

Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options

@Moldnut said:
    It’s been a few years since I’ve been here, this thread is almost as good as those old BNB threads.

Thanks for the laughs.

Stick around, plenty to laugh about here..............

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow I can't believe I read this whole thread.

FWIW I am a collector. When I buy from dealers almost everything I get is 10 percent back of greysheet, unless its something really rare.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin dealer education seminar.
    For those interested in how to successfully transition from being a collector to becoming a seller of coins (or anything),

THIS IS NOT HOW TO DO IT.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Crusty said:
    There was a time that I got annoyed whenever this thread got bumped. I was really hoping to get through Independence Day without seeing this thread getting a bump. But now that it got the bump today, I’m actually rooting to keep this thing going. With any luck, we will still be bumping the thread in 2024.

At which point he won't have answered the offers he has received.

• Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Moldnut said:

Thanks for the laughs.

Welcome back!

@Moldnut

It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.