Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A first for me - Grades Posted

MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 28, 2023 9:04PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Today I sent a small group of raw coins to PCGS for grading. This was my first time ever doing this. I never had the time or the inclination before. But I've been spending more time with my father-in-law and other older members of my family lately and they like to go to antique stores, flea markets and the like, so I thought I'd look for coins when I'm with them.

I have low expectations. I know it's rare to find anything special at these venues. Also, at one time I considered myself a fairly decent grader (amateur, of course) but over the years I've relied more and more on a small group of go-to dealers, PCGS and CAC to help me decide what coins to add to my collection...so my grading skills (whatever they may have been) have deteriorated considerably. But this is just for fun.

I understand turnaround times from PCGS can be several months. I don't wait well, but it will be ok. I don't have much money tied up in the coins so, if nothing else, this will be a learning experience.

Comments

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are some people who check their status daily...I am one of them. Out host will send emails on the status of your order. But, it never hurts to check periodically.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    baddogssbaddogss Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭✭

Good luck and please post your results.

Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
    Sugar magnolia blossoms blooming, heads all empty and I don't care ...
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good fun, best of luck with the adventure. :smile:

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

So...
    Did you buy these coins at flea markets? Care to share what you sent in and what you expect them to grade?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That sounds like a fun experiment. Sometimes a treasure can be found in such places. Good luck, and let us know how it works out. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@DCW said:
    So...
    Did you buy these coins at flea markets? Care to share what you sent in and what you expect them to grade?

I bought them at an antique store.

1865 Three Cent Nickel (I bought this just because I had one when I was a kid.)
    1938-D Buffalo Nickel (I thought this one was very nice with some nice, mellow, gold toning.)
    1909 VDB Lincoln Cent (No S, unfortunately! I probably made a mistake on this one. It didn't seem as nice as I thought once I got it home.)
    1949-S Dime (I didn't have any particular reason for this one, I just bought it.)

I have low expectations...I really cannot even guess what they will grade.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you bought them to collect, submitting them is a no-brainer.

I particularly like 1949-S Dimes.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options

1865 3CN AU53
    1938-D 5C Buffalo MS66
    1909 VDB 1C, BN MS63BN
    1949-S 10C Genuine VF Details (92 - Cleaned)

Not bad for a beginner. I gave $3.50 for the 49-S Dime. I'm pretty happy with the others.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice. Good eye.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BuffaloIronTail said:

Pete

Submitting should never be a no-brainer. Spending $35 to slab a $10 coin, for example.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck!

• Options

What should I do with the 1949-S 10C Genuine VF Details (92 - Cleaned)? Crack it out and spend it?

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still a silver dime worth approx. $2 in silver.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options

@MidLifeCrisis said:
    What should I do with the 1949-S 10C Genuine VF Details (92 - Cleaned)? Crack it out and spend it?

Keep it as a lesson for the future.
    That's what I would do.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BuffaloIronTail said:

Pete

Why? What’s wrong with buying them to collect and not submitting them?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file