Home U.S. Coin Forum

Lincoln 1995 DDO MS-69?

TrampTramp Posts: 652 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder what is holding this from a 69 grade or even a 70, if that is even possible?

Thoughts? No TV available.

USAF (Ret.) 1985 - 2005. E-4B Aircraft Maintenance Crew Chief and Contracting Officer.
My current Registry sets:
✓ Everyman Mint State Carson City Morgan Dollars (1878 – 1893)
✓ Everyman Mint State Lincoln Cents (1909 – 1958)
✓ Morgan Dollar GSA Hoard (1878 – 1891)

Comments

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tramp said:
    I wonder what is holding this from a 69 grade or even a 70

The few micro ticks and nicks on the obv (the one directly in front of the mouth is likely exaggerated by the lighting), the minimal but present plating bubbles, and a decent but not amazing strike. All those added up should keep it out of a 69 holder, but with gradeflation anything is possible.

And while that may sound like I'm bagging on your coin I am not, it is a very lovely coin, but you asked so I'm pointing out why (in my opinion) it is in a 68 holder.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • BamaphilBamaphil Posts: 113 ✭✭

@coinbuf said

The few micro ticks and nicks on the obv (the one directly in front of the mouth is likely exaggerated by the lighting), the minimal but present plating bubbles, and a decent but not amazing strike. All those added up should keep it out of a 69 holder, but with gradeflation anything is possible.

And while that may sound like I'm bagging on your coin I am not, it is a very lovely coin, but you asked so I'm pointing out why (in my opinion) it is in a 68 holder.

Don't forget the scratches at the bottom of the bust. Good looking coin though. ✌️

• Riley1955Riley1955 Posts: 136 ✭✭✭

Nice coin though.

• TrampTramp Posts: 652 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:

None taken. I can confirm any appearance of ticks, nicks or lines/scratches are from the holder itself. Like @DCW said about slab shots. My bad for really even asking the question.

There are two micro bubbles on the reverse; one below the steps middle of field and another to the memorials own right field midway; they are microscopic but there nonetheless. Not even sure a TV would even pick them up or if those would hold it back from an upgrade when comparing it to the 69 grade photos at coin facts.

I might just throw this in a future reconsideration and while there, get a TV to replace this slab shot from GC. The upside is worth the shot.

USAF (Ret.) 1985 - 2005. E-4B Aircraft Maintenance Crew Chief and Contracting Officer.
    My current Registry sets:
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Carson City Morgan Dollars (1878 – 1893)
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Lincoln Cents (1909 – 1958)
    ✓ Morgan Dollar GSA Hoard (1878 – 1891)

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very difficult to definitively critique the grade - at that level - from slab shots. It does not take much to move from 70 to 69 to 68. Since the top level TPG and CAC agree, I will take that as likely correct. Cheers, RickO

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

What holds the grade back is the opinions of the major TPG graders. Essentially those grades only exist when in TPG holders. Try selling a raw coin as a 68+ or higher and see what happens.

All glory is fleeting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file