Home U.S. Coin Forum

does NGC label full tubes of silver eagles

is this legit i cant find the number on the npc site or has anyone seen this before?

i am dyslexia of borg futility is resistant your ass will be laminated.

Comments

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, it is real. NGC started certifying rolls a few years ago.
    https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-grading/holders/certified-rolls/

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• boxerdadboxerdad Posts: 46 ✭✭

so would PCGS do the same thing as well?

i am dyslexia of borg futility is resistant your ass will be laminated.

• 2windy2fish2windy2fish Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭✭

Curious what is happening with the second coin from the left?

• dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2windy2fish said:
    Curious what is happening with the second coin from the left?

It's just air space in the tube. There is a tiny bit of extra space in those tubes.

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

@boxerdad said:

I don't believe that I've seen PCGS certified rolls.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Eighteen63Eighteen63 Posts: 124 ✭✭✭✭

@boxerdad said:
    is this legit i cant find the number on the npc site or has anyone seen this before?

Do people not search any longer? Isn’t that why we have The Internet?
    https://duckduckgo.com/?q=ngc+tube+silver+eagles&iax=images&ia=images

On the contrary, Google is not your friend.

• Eighteen63Eighteen63 Posts: 124 ✭✭✭✭

@boxerdad said:

On the contrary, Google is not your friend.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 10, 2023 10:34AM

In regard to "slabbed rolls" (?), that isn't an original US Mint plastic roll pictured, so is NGC guaranteeing that those 20 coins are from one original roll, or are they saying that the NGC roll simply has 20 Gem BU SEs? 🤔

• coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    In regard to "slabbed rolls" (?), that isn't an original US Mint plastic roll pictured, so is NGC guaranteeing that those 20 coins are from one original roll, or are they saying that the NGC roll simply has 20 Gem BU SEs? 🤔

Yes

• coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭

I'm sorry. I couldn't stop myself.

Also, NGC isn't exactly going out on a limb with their GEM UNCIRCULATED grade. Gem uncirculated, I believe, always meant MS65 and above. For ASE MS65 is almost considered to be damaged goods.

• MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

@boxerdad said:

While not certification, PCGS does this with APMEX.

The 'MintDirect' items are marketed as unsearched.
    The 'MintDiect Premier' items are unsearched, and eligible for PCGS FirstStrike if submitted sealed.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,843 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinhack said:
    I'm sorry. I couldn't stop myself.

Also, NGC isn't exactly going out on a limb with their GEM UNCIRCULATED grade. Gem uncirculated, I believe, always meant MS65 and above. For ASE MS65 is almost considered to be damaged goods.

The point is not to grade them but to authenticate them.

• VasantiVasanti Posts: 448 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 10, 2023 9:37PM

PCGS has slabbed rolls. My suspicion has always been that NGC and PCGS do this for coins that come in below a 69.

@Vasanti said:
    PCGS has slabbed rolls. My suspicion has always been that NGC and PCGS do this for coins that come in below a 69.

They do it for customers who submit monster boxes. They don't grade the coins at all, in my understanding. They are just certifying the rolls as genuine. It is an inexpensive service which it would not be if they actually had to grade sort the monster box

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is in that certified roll? Second coin from left as viewed. I magnified the picture, it is not an airspace. Cheers, RickO

• ndeaglesndeagles Posts: 309 ✭✭✭✭

They do small dollars too if you do a bulk submission. Basically you can pay to have the them put into an authenticated tube. I asked about this because if love to have a Vermont innovation dollar roll like this, they confirmed they would with a bulk submission. I have seen presidential dollar rolls from PCGS.

@ricko said:
    What is in that certified roll? Second coin from left as viewed. I magnified the picture, it is not an airspace. Cheers, RickO

If you count the coins, it has to be. Otherwise there are 21 somethings in the roll.

@jmlanzaf... I did that, and came up with 21... counted coins along the bottom of the roll in the picture. Cheers, RickO

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

From enlargement, I think I’m counting 20 coins in OP’s posted roll
    Although my eyes ain’t what they used to be 👁👁😁

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

@ricko said:
    @jmlanzaf... I did that, and came up with 21... counted coins along the bottom of the roll in the picture. Cheers, RickO

I agree. Which is why that likely has to be an air gap since it is a roll of 20.

@jmlanzaf... When magnified, the 'air gap' has surface anomalies, that is why I think it is a solid 'spacer' of some sort - coin, blank, whatever. I guess we will never conclusively find out... Cheers, RickO

@ricko said:
    @jmlanzaf... When magnified, the 'air gap' has surface anomalies, that is why I think it is a solid 'spacer' of some sort - coin, blank, whatever. I guess we will never conclusively find out... Cheers, RickO

could be. The separation between the two coins on either side is awfully uniform.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file