Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

CAC coins that they no longer grade?

Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 9, 2023 8:23PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Does anyone else have coins that CAC did green bean that they no longer will accept? I sent in my war Jeff set right off the bat, 15+ years ago and got like 7 of them to CAC. Now you can't send them in. They do not even have them in the POP report for CAC. Are there any other denominations that this occurred to as well?

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

CAC stopped evaluating colonials several years ago. There are also a few oddball pieces that CAC never mentioned they evaluated, but once in a while one would slip through like a few Roosevelt dimes.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could be more to come as they transition to a grading service..

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 10, 2023 9:33PM
  • Options
    Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen a few later date Washington proofs that have been CAC approved. I was hoping this one would slip though...

• Options

@1630Boston said:

That is an awesome coin BTW - I want one so bad.

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

US Philippine coins were briefly stickered before CAC stopped allowing them.

• Options
    jkrkjkrk Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 10, 2023 5:11PM

I have a similar problem.

Cac will not sticker most coins I send to them especially DE's.

• Options
    Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s not just coins they no longer accept, it’s collectors too. They don’t accept any more memberships (which is required to submit a coin) - personally I think the cac is overrated…
    The problem is you’ll never know that a coin was sent to cac but didn’t get a bean, versus a coin never been that looks like it could get one. So in my view it’s not worth that much to me.

• Options

@Che_Grapes said:
    It’s not just coins they no longer accept, it’s collectors too. They don’t accept any more memberships (which is required to submit a coin) - personally I think the cac is overrated…
    The problem is you’ll never know that a coin was sent to cac but didn’t get a bean, versus a coin never been that looks like it could get one. So in my view it’s not worth that much to me.

So it's like buying a raw coin and not knowing if PCGS had already body-bagged it? CAC is just another evaluation service. You pay them for a documented opinion. CAC red stickers a lot of straight graded PCGS material for issues like PVC and hairlines/cleaning.

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DarkSideVAMs said:

@Che_Grapes said:

So it's like buying a raw coin and not knowing if PCGS had already body-bagged it? CAC is just another evaluation service. You pay them for a documented opinion. CAC red stickers a lot of straight graded PCGS material for issues like PVC and hairlines/cleaning.

Fantastic first post. Welcome to the forum!

• Options

@DarkSideVAMs said:

WTH is a red sticker? On the other note if you are buying raw you can make bank if you know what you are doing if yu don't you can get hosed. I value CAC, PCGS, NGC and ANACS because I can't be at every auction all the time; shit I can't be at any of them. It is also why Laura Sperber reps me. All of these services have a place and you pay for that - which is fair.

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Clackamas1 said:

@DarkSideVAMs said:

WTH is a red sticker? On the other note if you are buying raw you can make bank if you know what you are doing if yu don't you can get hosed. I value CAC, PCGS, NGC and ANACS because I can't be at every auction all the time; shit I can't be at any of them. It is also why Laura Sperber reps me. All of these services have a place and you pay for that - which is fair.

• Options
    edited March 10, 2023 9:43PM

@DeplorableDan said:

@DarkSideVAMs said:

@Che_Grapes said:

Fantastic first post. Welcome to the forum!

Oh shit - yeah first post -congrats!!! I seem like a newb but some things happened and that email no longer works so I had to newb myself.

• Options

@Clackamas1 said:

@DarkSideVAMs said:

A red sticker is what CAC puts on a coin that has some real problems and indicates it shouldn't be in the certified slab you sent them at all. There will be a note about the issue when you receive one.

• Options
    DarkSideVAMsDarkSideVAMs Posts: 5
    edited March 10, 2023 9:59PM

"WTH is a red sticker? On the other note if you are buying raw you can make bank if you know what you are doing if you don't you can get hosed."

Right on. The same applies if you can spot an undegraded coin in plastic or buy a PVC infested slabbed coin.

• Options

@DarkSideVAMs said:
    "WTH is a red sticker? On the other note if you are buying raw you can make bank if you know what you are doing if you don't you can get hosed."

Right on. The same applies if you can spot an undegraded coin in plastic or buy a PVC infested slabbed coin.

PVC is easy to solve. I have yet to see a holdered PVC coin. Purchased hundreds of them in older 'coin flips'. Acetone and 95% are good to go.

• Options

@Clackamas1 said:

PVC is easy to solve. I have yet to see a holdered PVC coin. Purchased hundreds of them in older 'coin flips'. Acetone and 95% are good to go.

Good deal. I have and learned to spot it on toned Peace Dollars by getting red stickered examples back from CAC.

• Options

@DarkSideVAMs said:

@Clackamas1 said:

Good deal. I have and learned to spot it on toned Peace Dollars by getting red stickered examples back from CAC.

Seriously I did not know there is a red sticker.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file