Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

So-Called Dollars taking flight again with beans

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 20, 2021 4:20AM in U.S. Coin Forum

So-Called Dollars are being reintroduced to the world of stickers and beans with WINGS.

Previously, CAC stickered Lesher Dollars but it was alway very limited. My understanding is CAC no longer stickers Lesher Dollars, similar to how they no longer sticker Colonials.

The new approach with WINGS seems to cover much more.

Any idea if these will take off? ;)

Here's a green beaned Lesher.

Comments

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

WINGS is still around?

• Options

@pruebas said:
    WINGS is still around?

I'm not sure. I never knew too much about their operation.

I did just call their phone number CoinWeek and found that it has been disconnected.

Can anyone confirm if they are still in business or not?

https://coinweek.com/wings/

• Options
    edited September 20, 2021 5:18AM

@Goldminers said:
    I think they flew the coop.

If so, that's too bad. I got excited when I saw the stickered Wilson Dollar.

Perhaps So-Called Dollars aren't worth or don't need stickering?

I don't think stickers are really needed for truly rare (expensive) or common (inexpensive) SCDs, though some otherwise common condition rarities are starting to see strong increases in price.

• Options
    AercusAercus Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

I don't think stickers are really needed for truly rare (expensive) or common (inexpensive) SCDs, though some otherwise common condition rarities are starting to see strong increases in price.

It is more likely that the market considers wings stickers not worth a premium. CAC only works because people trust their opinion. There's a half a dozen other sticker agencies that no one seems to pay a premium for (the exception might be Eagle Eye but that is a narrowly defined area).

Aercus Numismatics - Certified coins for sale

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any idea if these will take off?
    as long as collectors think something will add value to what they have it will be popularly used. if CAC didn't add value to a coin, collectors would stop using the service.

if having some sort of sticker attached to your encapsulated medals is important to you or something you'd like, I will oblige that need. send them to me, I will assess their condition and attest to their assigned grade-worthiness in a three-tiered manner:
    no sticker --- no service.
    white sticker --- over graded.
    red sticker --- properly graded.
    blue sticker --- under graded.

service will be limited to R-6 and above. anything R-5 and below will need to be MS67 and higher. all will be referenced from the Hibler/Kappen book, 2nd edition. if it isn't listed there it will receive the "no sticker" service level at my discretion. the submitter will be responsible for all insurance and postage.

no fee.

• Options
    TheMayorTheMayor Posts: 221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Aercus said:

@Zoins said:

It is more likely that the market considers wings stickers not worth a premium. CAC only works because people trust their opinion. There's a half a dozen other sticker agencies that no one seems to pay a premium for (the exception might be Eagle Eye but that is a narrowly defined area).

I have seen some surprisingly high results with QA stickers as well but not enough of a sample size to have a guess if the market likes QA stickers or the coins to which they were affixed.

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    So-Called Dollars are being reintroduced to the world of stickers and beans with WINGS.

Previously, CAC stickered Lesher Dollars but it was alway very limited. My understanding is CAC no longer stickers Lesher Dollars, similar to how they no longer sticker Colonials.

The new approach with WINGS seems to cover much more.

Any idea if these will take off? ;)

>
    Don’t know much about Wings other than when I saw it several years back I think I asked here
    about it and was told it was mainly for World coins. Not sure if it’s true but not really all that into stickers.
    On a side note……I LOVE the look of this Wilson scd.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 20, 2021 11:33AM

I LOVE the look of this Wilson scd.

if you look at the large TrueView image you might not like it so much and you might also realize it's probably an AU62.

BTW, that would be a "no service" at the KSS, too common as a low-grade R-4.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

This might just be a 1 of 1 as being Manila Philippines related.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    Pioneer1Pioneer1 Posts: 146 ✭✭✭

I don't think a sticker is going to fly in the SCD world or is needed. Most SCD collectors are savy... I am. I don't own 20-30 Leshers or 5 gold Wilson's. I don't need someone else to tell me which one is best among them. I own one-two of each SCD... most graded but a few details pieces to have examples of whizzed and cleaned SCDs for "grading reference" like the set Brian Silman uses in his grading course. I also intentionally collect fake SCDs. I don't see any value in paying someone to tell me what I already know or am researching.

A So-Called Dollar and Slug Collector... Previously "Pioneer" on this site...

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,607 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Broadstruck said:

This was my thought as well. It’s related to the world side, so that’s probably why Wings gave it a sticker.

• Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭✭✭

My favorite was "Band on the Run"

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    edited September 24, 2021 1:30AM

@U1chicago said:

@Broadstruck said:

This was my thought as well. It’s related to the world side, so that’s probably why Wings gave it a sticker.

It's a good point that HK-449 is a world issue. It was struck in Manila to commemorate a Manila event.

Here's a PCGS MS63 that was also stickered, with the SecurePlus images. Even though both of these are Gold Shield, they look like early Gold Shield coins which came with the SecurePlus images instead of the TrueView images. In this case, I'd expect both of these to be broken out at some time to get a TrueView.

I wonder if they stickered any other So-Called Dollars.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file