Home U.S. Coin Forum

Cherry Pickers Guide Sixth Edition, Vol II

19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭

Has this been released yet?
I only ask because while reviewing Variety Vista I noticed that a Proof 1971-S Ike has an FS-013 for DDR-001.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

Comments

• tincuptincup Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think..... everyone is STILL waiting......

----- kj
  • DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭

Not yet. It will be out this year.

• winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 9, 2023 9:00PM

@Dentuck said:

I believe this is what we were told in 2021, maybe even 2020.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dentuck said:

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven said:

@Dentuck said:

I believe this is what we were told in 2021, maybe even 2020.

Steve

Steve, I advised on the book in 2015. I still have the emails. Do not kid yourself. I have been waiting on this book for 8 years! But knowing what I know, I do feel a little more confident that it can happen this year. Fingers crossed but I stopped holding my breath a long time ago.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not yet.... This question comes up here about three or four times a year... That book will be sold out in days when it is released. Cheers, RickO

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

good old hurry up and wait, we can

• 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭

Thank You for the replies. Maybe I'll just ask James Wiles about why he gave the coin an FS Number.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭✭✭

@19Lyds said:
    Thank You for the replies. Maybe I'll just ask James Wiles about why he gave the coin an FS Number.

1971-S FS-103 DDO is already in the current Cherrypicker's Guide. What VarietyVista is saying is that this coin also has a doubled die reverse (labeled DDR-001). The DDR on this coin has a much smaller spread than the DDO, so it doesn't get as much attention.

• 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭

@IkesT said:

@19Lyds said:

1971-S FS-103 DDO is already in the current Cherrypicker's Guide. What VarietyVista is saying is that this coin also has a doubled die reverse (labeled DDR-001). The DDR on this coin has a much smaller spread than the DDO, so it doesn't get as much attention.

Correct. I asked James Wiles about it and he stated it was a Typo on the Variety Vista Website!
    Dang!

The name is LEE!
  • SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 831 ✭✭✭✭✭

@19Lyds said:
    Has this been released yet?
    I only ask because while reviewing Variety Vista I noticed that a Proof 1971-S Ike has an FS-013 for DDR-001.

The Wiles DDR-001 is the reverse die paired to the Wiles DDO-003, the FS-103. IOW, is is not a new listing, it is simply the reverse die paired to the DDO FS-103.

The DDR-001 is actually a TDR.

And further, not described in Variety Vista, there were actually two die marriages to the DDO FS-103. Early, the reverse die paired to the FS-103 obverse was a hub doubled reverse. Later, the TDR Wiles DDR-001 TDR reverse die was paired to the FS-103 obverse (2nd die marriage) to complete production. The likely reason was an emerging die die crack in the first reverse, the hub double reverse.

The evidence suggests that there are two reverse die marriages to the true MMP2 FS-103. The first pairing had the true MMP2 FS-103 paired to a hub-doubled reverse. As the reverse began to crack across the UN in UNITED, the hub-doubled reverse was removed from production. Then, the reverse with the tripling described by Wiles, Wexler, and Kalantzis was paired to the MMP2 FS-103 obverse - presumably until the end of production of the obverse die.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vQt1gCw1XyrM9vAlxp5ItctDl9fQoIJ9G-hIm5mJZZW52g4NOKVKoXXZNW7ThLPKQrKMixDCBZSZOmh/pub

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor
  • BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

this book may well come out
    without a doubt
    but when and where?
    thats another affair
    when the cows come home
    and da dogs dont roam......

I am so tired of waiting for this book!
    can u tell?